Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khang Wey Cham
Malaysia
Bayan Lepas
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use the Bookkeeper card, you can first spend 2 coins to flip over a book, then move the ink jar.

My question is: Can you flip a book that it won't be reached by this bookkeeping action? For example: I can only meet the requirement until book number 5, can I flip a book at space number 10, and move my ink jar to space 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can even flip a book that you've already passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Can you give a case when this would be useful? I really can't think of one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

to baffle your opponents, perhaps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

To clarify the rule to a new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

to force yourself to lose 2 points to change your relative position in the game so that others help you out rather than helping out others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elad Yaakobi
Israel
Lod
flag msg tools
It's pretty easy,
if you flip one this time and the next time another one, you can make a run over two flipped books.
might be useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Flipping the tile the inkwell is on.
(i.e.) Can I pay my $2 and flip the tile the inkwell is currently on, because I meet the criteria for the next two books.
(I basically move past 3 books)

I hope that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBaggy wrote:
What about Flipping the tile the inkwell is on.
(i.e.) Can I pay my $2 and flip the tile the inkwell is currently on, because I meet the criteria for the next two books.
(I basically move past 3 books)

I hope that makes sense.

There is no reason to flip the book the inkwell is on. When you move the inkwell you only have to satisfy the condition on books you are moving onto, not the one you start on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But there are two pages to each book you must meet both to pass over the book. I was moving right to left on the book and managed to get on the right side 3 banana but could not get passed the 3 cocoa on the other page.
So on my next turn I flipped the book my inkwell was on, and had sufficient goods to pass the next two book tiles.

Is this allowed? (flipping the tile the inkwell is on)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MrBaggy wrote:
But there are two pages to each book you must meet both to pass over the book. I was moving right to left on the book and managed to get on the right side 3 banana but could not get passed the 3 cocoa on the other page.
So on my next turn I flipped the book my inkwell was on, and had sufficient goods to pass the next two book tiles.

Is this allowed? (flipping the tile the inkwell is on)

What is not allowed is moving onto a book if you only meet the requirements on the left side. You meet both or you stay on the previous book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I don't want to get to pedantic on this.

I'll show you what happened.

As I have indicated the book pagers get used left to right in the first section from A to B. From B to C it changes to right to left, and then back to left to right from C onwards.

Ink pot Currently in Pos 1. Having met requirement for that page however I could not meet the requirement for the next page (2) so here I stopped. Next turned I used the Flip action to turn the book over then I proceeded to pos 4 having met their requirement. I could not proceed to Pos 5 because I could not meet the requirements.

I hope this make more sense.

My question still is:

Can I flip the book that the inkwell is on?
(we made the decision to allow this move, because we couldn't find it in the rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are misplaying the game, as Dave pointed out. You cannot move onto a book unless you meet BOTH the right and left side requirements. You CANNOT move onto one page of the book. You either meet both requirements and move onto the book or you don't meet one or more requirements and cannot step onto the book at all.

Please reread the rules section on books, it never tells you to step onto each page one at a time, it tells you to step onto each book (i.e. both pages) one at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBaggy wrote:
Ok, I don't want to get to pedantic on this.

I'll show you what happened.

As I have indicated the book pagers get used left to right in the first section from A to B. From B to C it changes to right to left, and then back to left to right from C onwards.

Ink pot Currently in Pos 1. Having met requirement for that page however I could not meet the requirement for the next page (2) so here I stopped. Next turned I used the Flip action to turn the book over then I proceeded to pos 4 having met their requirement. I could not proceed to Pos 5 because I could not meet the requirements.

I hope this make more sense.

My question still is:

Can I flip the book that the inkwell is on?
(we made the decision to allow this move, because we couldn't find it in the rules)

Your example shows you are misunderstanding an important rule about the book tiles. Each book tile forms exactly one position (not two positions) on your bookkeeping track. You do not move your inkwell from "page to page" but from "book to book," and you are only permitted to enter a new book tile if you have met the requirements of the entire book (i.e., both pages).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOH!!!!!

I've just re-read the rules.
And I admit my complete stupidity.
One book at a time.

Thank you Jon, Joel & Ben for your patience and assistance.
I'll have to give this another go as I quite enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.