Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran across the Battlelore Razorwings a while back, so got a couple of the sets of three to use in Black Plague. I intend to use either the extra activation cards (4) or the double spawn cards (8) to spawn them whenever I include them in a custom scenario. The rules are a work in progress.

1) They spawn one at each spawn point (up to the six I have available).

2) They move one space per activation for each razorwing in a group/zone. They get faster as the swarm forms.

3) They ignore survivors until they swarm, moving towards the closest razor wing to them, so if two are closer to each other than the others, they move towards each other first. If 3 are closer to each other than the others, they move to the midpoint between them, etc. They will do this until they join together, then move towards the next closest group or individual, however they will not interrupt other movement in progress, but simply move towards and follow the one closest to them as it moves to form its group. As they join together, the distance they move increases per the number in the group (two move 2 zones, three move 3 zones, etc) They feel safer and have strength in numbers. (This idea comes from the bug swarm mechanic in Space Cadets: Away Missions.)

4) Once they complete the swarm, they move towards the closest survivor, ignoring walls, obstacles and sound, since their bat sonar is amazing, they can fly, and they can get through small openings in buildings!

5) They can move, then attack if they have not used up all their movement.

6) They score a wound for each razorwing in the swarm, unless survivor defenses reduce the damage.

7) If another spawn card is drawn while razorwings are on the board, any that have been killed (out of the, in my case, six available) will spawn. Then those on the board will stop any movement towards/attack upon survivors and re-swarm with the new arrivals according to the closest razorwing rules, before resuming their attack movement.

8) A razor wing, like a walker, takes one damage to kill.

Since they are faster and more deadly in a swarm, their numbers need to be reduced before they can complete a swarm. However, you won't want to be too close when they do swarm! However, a 'lucky' draw of a new spawn card will increase their number, but also stop any attacks, giving you more time to reduce their numbers. Remember, they won't attack unless they are all in a swarm.

I have yet to try this out, as I've been away and have only just today opened my BP package. I'm sure the rules of engagement will undergo some refinement during the first use of razorwings or through comments here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:

7) If another spawn card is drawn while razorwings are on the board, any that have been killed (out of the, in my case, six available) will spawn. Then those on the board will stop any movement towards/attack upon survivors and re-swarm with the new arrivals according to the closest razorwing rules, before resuming their attack movement.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that the swarm would stop attacking just to truck across the board to meet their buddies and then come back. Also, it would make it that as soon as a swarm is about to deal some serious damage the survivors should be hoping another razorwing card is drawn so the swarm moves away from them instead of killing them. I think it would work better if new ones simply moved to join the attacking swarm,putting the survivors on a timer for thinning the numbers before the new arrivals get there. If the attacking swarm is destroyed before the new arrivals get there, the new ones move to form a new swarm.

Sounds interesting, though. I'd love to hear how it plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Slowfinger
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like the idea, especially I like that they have two modes of behavior, the gathering and the attack mode. This separates them from the z'ds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbethany wrote:
It doesn't make a lot of sense that the swarm would stop attacking just to truck across the board to meet their buddies and then come back. Also, it would make it that as soon as a swarm is about to deal some serious damage the survivors should be hoping another razorwing card is drawn so the swarm moves away from them instead of killing them. I think it would work better if new ones simply moved to join the attacking swarm,putting the survivors on a timer for thinning the numbers before the new arrivals get there. If the attacking swarm is destroyed before the new arrivals get there, the new ones move to form a new swarm.

Good point, but sometimes instinct overrides common sense. Their bat instinct is to swarm (and being batty have no common sense). Please remember that all the other regular zombies are still on the board doing their dogged pursuit, so this is just another irritation that ebbs and flows instead. Also, the intent is to give the survivors the chance of an interuption of an attack, while making the next attack both swifter and stronger (i.e., a 2 bat swarm with 2 movement dealing 2 wounds, after a short breather, becomes a 6 bat swarm with 6 movement dealing 6 wounds). Also, once swarmed they fly directly at the closest survivor. The frequency of the chance of reswarming is controlled by which cards are chosen to spawn, so either extra, 4/54, double, 8/54, extra+double, 12/54. The reswarming could also happen rather quickly, as the old swarm, depending on the number in it (1 to 5 movement) may quickly move towards the closest new (1 move) spawn adding another movement to the group immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am using them in my current game of quest 4. They haven't been a game changer (yet), but a minor irritant as intended. Additional rules: they choose to fly down a road, rather than above a building, when they have two equidistant routes. When flying down a road, melee attack is ok, but when flying above a building (only in a building when attacking) only range attacks. They are last in target priority. Since they are flying, they don't restrict survivor movement thru their zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the way the survivors have to consider where the various groups are and how much culling they should do. Wiping out all of one group (when there are only two groups) means the other is then ready to attack, so they need to be careful. Also, since they are last in priority, the survivors have to consider where, when and how they are going to intercept and shoot them down, as they weave in and out of various groups. So far, I really like them, so I'm looking forward to seeing how my group reacts to them. Now, if I can just find my ratz (that I seem to have misplaced)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
Having to be careful about killing an entire group because it would make a separate group ready to attack is a really interesting aspect to them! Would love to hear how your group responds to them as well. Sounds like you definite hit on a unique enemy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just thinkin out loud...maybe for my own house rule.

Bats are noise sensitive (with their sonar ability) and a little skittish. I know these are giant bats so maybe this is more suited for reaper minis.
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Necropolis/latest/0335...

So what if they target the closest zone/los with the least amount of noise?

They prefer to prey upon the weak and stay away from big groups. This would keep the stragglers or lone wolves honest.

Now the Heroes might also need to regroup or reswarm.

I dont think it whould affect your respawn, swarming or culling considerations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chillinwater wrote:
Bats are noise sensitive (with their sonar ability) and a little skittish. I know these are giant bats so maybe this is more suited for reaper minis.
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Necropolis/latest/0335...

So what if they target the closest zone/los with the least amount of noise?

They prefer to prey upon the weak and stay away from big groups. This would keep the stragglers or lone wolves honest.

Per rule #4, after forming their swarm, they attack the closest survivor, ignoring noise. Ignoring the closest and attacking the weakest would allow the survivors to reduce their numbers further.
The reaper minis are nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A small addition to spawning: any batz (not in play) spawn starting where the spawn card is revealed (including the room if revealed in a room), then follow the regular spawn site rotation (starts from the nearest spawn site to the spawning room if revealed in a room) until all off board batz have been placed or each spawn site has a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cool idea. Here's my concern: if the survivors fail to thin the swarm before it forms, a swarm of 4 or more is basically instant loss.
If 4 bats get 4 moves, and they're within 2-3 spaces of a survivor, that survivor instantly dies. (4 attacks per action is instant death to anyone without armor). And if they group is together, they're then going to proceed to kill 4 more characters on their next activation.

Yes, this could be mitigated by killing them, but I suspect seeing these on the board would result in the game ending quickly most of the time.

There's a decent chance that there's just no way to get to them and kill any before they're on top of the party (because walls limit heroes but not the batz)

So, if you want a foe that is virtually guaranteed to kill one character when they appear, go for it.

If you don't, you may want to reconsider their rules. At the very least, I'd take away their ability to ignore obstacles with movement. They are much larger than the birds, afterall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.