Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if there is a game with a money laundering (or creative bookkeeping) mechanic.

I'm writing up ideas for a mafia/crime game and one thing I'd like to explore is the idea of turning dirty money into a clean cash.

Dirty money is put through a cycle of transactions/deals so it becomes or appears to be legitimate income.

I've played Mombassa, its creative book-keeping track is very good and at the end of the game you get points dependent upon how high you are.

I'm not sure what the in-game penalty will be yet, I'll work this out later.

According to videos I've seen, the process is usually three-stages;

1. Placement/Filtering -> Cash is split across different assets, or precious materials or luxury goods.
2. Layering/Camouflage -> Cash changes hands to mask its origin
3. Integration -> Put the money into the economy

---

So some ideas I have are:

1. Buy it (Buy assets)
2. Clean cash is in a bank, and its only this that counts at the end.
3. Dirty cash in -> Clean cash out -- Launderer contracts that convert dirty cash to clean cash at a cost.

In detail;

1. Players buy assets with dirty cash (essentially VP buildings), perhaps the asset generates clean cash?

2. A bank exists which only houses clean cash. Where a player's counter is at the end determines their clean cash points This is a grid system similar to Vinhos and it could even operate in the same way as Vinhos, such as deposits.

3. Dirty cash is converted into some kind of precious metal which is worth something at the end of the game.

4. "Contracts" in the game that allow a player to exchange dirty cash for precious metals (or something else that represents clean cash); however it comes at some cost.

But I'm not sure if there is something else I am missing or perhaps a better way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
In very simple terms, laundering money basically makes it safe to use, but there's a period of time that it can't actually be used while it's being moved around.
For a more abstract approach, you could simply have an area of your board where you place dirty money tokens. and after a number of turns, you get to flip them over and they become clean money.
For a more thematic and complicated approach, maybe different buildings can convert money at different rates or hold more dirty money. Possibly with a trade-off between them. Some buildings could be bought with any kind of money while others could only be built with clean money. If you need to spend actions both to put money in and take it out, then adds a timing element.
Depends what else is going on in the game, and what sort of gameplay is involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are good approaches, and I will review them and how they would work.

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Falsche FuFFziger from Friedemann Friese has money laundering but not as deep as you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a tiny bit of AML [anti-money laundering] risk mitigation consulting, so I'm modestly familiar with the topic.

In game terms, you can categorize money-laundering with three attributes:
* Velocity : how quickly the money can be laundered
* Capacity : how much money can be cleaned at a time
* Cost : how much (percentage) is lost to cleaning

Since you're not trying to replicate reality (but echo it, as a balanced game mechanic) you could make available buildings/tiles/&tc which offer varying attributes.

For example, a tile could have 1-5 columns of 1-5 rows -- columns (height) indicating capacity per cycle, while rows (width) represents how many turns it takes to launder [the money tokens would shift one column right per turn, until clean].

You could also introduce risk (of getting caught) -- either as a static feature (e.g.: each turn, roll 3d6 and check against each tile), or dynamic (e.g.: if you launder three or fewer units of money in a cycle, this eBay laundry gets caught on a '3'; if you launder four or more units, it gets caught on a '3-5'.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.