Hide
9 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: PhoenixDreaded Decade/ Spiral Age Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael M
msg tools
I believe I played this right but just wanted to be sure.

Each survivor gets a dreaded decade (DD) at the showdown start. It allows you to spend an activation to roll a d10. If your roll is less than or equal to your insanity, remove all age tokens. If not, perform Spiral Age. Paraphrasing there, don't have card in front of me.

My question is, does one survivor activate the DD to roll and potentially remove EVERYONE'S age tokens, or just his own? Spiral age affects everyone if he fails, so we wondered if the successful roll on DD results in removal of the age tokens for just the survivor activating DD's ability or all.

We played it removed all survivor's age tokens as DD reads "remove all age tokens". It doesn't specify any particular survivor. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Gordon
Canada
flag msg tools
I interpreted it differently to you -- everyone is given a Dreaded decade card, on which Age tokens are placed over top of the infinity symbol as you gain them. You may spend an activation to remove just your own.

Again, I could very well be wrong, it just seemed to me that the tokens went on the card, and thus the card focussed just on those tokens on it.

Also, while this might seem harsher initially, it means that if the one person fails, Spiral Age doesn't go off for EVERYONE.

Whaddya think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, just the one, otherwise one insane survivor could help the whole group easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
msg tools
Interesting. We gave everyone a DD card that gained age tokens as indicated. So then if it just applies to the individual who spends the activation, they are the only ones who will lose the tokens on a successful roll and the only one that suffers Spiral Age if they fail? Incidentally this was my interpretation but I was shouted down. The prevailing argument was that when Spiral Age occurs, it hits everyone, a la the Phoenix Instinct Disdain. We played that Disdain triggers Spiral Age on all survivors. Is that also not correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that Disdain triggers for all survivors, but each survivor is separate when it comes to activating their own Dreaded Decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
NerdyRaptor wrote:
I believe that Disdain triggers for all survivors, but each survivor is separate when it comes to activating their own Dreaded Decade.

That was my understanding.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, just looked- Spiral Age doesn't specify a target, and Disdain doesn't specify all survivors in the sentence relating to Spiral Age.

Comparing Spiral Age to other cards' language, it's pretty obvious that Dreaded Decade would impart all the rules on just the activating model, but it's unclear who's hit with it with Disdain- there's no target and the previous step refers to all survivors so one could assume it's everyone, but it's not explicit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Bauersfeld
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Veritesq wrote:
I believe I played this right but just wanted to be sure.

Each survivor gets a dreaded decade (DD) at the showdown start. It allows you to spend an activation to roll a d10. If your roll is less than or equal to your insanity, remove all age tokens. If not, perform Spiral Age. Paraphrasing there, don't have card in front of me.

My question is, does one survivor activate the DD to roll and potentially remove EVERYONE'S age tokens, or just his own? Spiral age affects everyone if he fails, so we wondered if the successful roll on DD results in removal of the age tokens for just the survivor activating DD's ability or all.

We played it removed all survivor's age tokens as DD reads "remove all age tokens". It doesn't specify any particular survivor. Thoughts?

After reviewing the cards and the comments below, I can see where differing opinions on this can arise. There is certainly ambiguity here. This is how I see it however:

It's like any other activation ability on a gear card. Dreaded Decade is a "survivor status" card. The glossary on this term, in part, reads, "The card's effects apply only to them. Some grant survivors unique actions." So the activation only removes the age tokens on the survivor who activated his own ability. Since Spiral Age does not designate a target, my take is that it relies on the card that is referencing it to figure out its target, but I absolutely can see how this lack of an indicator could be interpreted as all survivors.

But presuming I'm correct, Disdain, for instance, hits all survivors, so all would suffer Spiral Age. Ancient Stare, on the other hand, targets one survivor, so they would suffer Spiral Age. Dreaded Decade is an action for individual survivors, so only that survivor would suffer Spiral Age and only that survivor would remove his age tokens depending on the roll.

But like I said, I can see how everything I just said could be absolutely wrong given the ambiguity of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
msg tools
Thanks for the thoughts/comments all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.