Subject: Good Way to Explain Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E & G Sevelin
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

We recently got my hands on a copy and I have been reading the rulebook & seen a video intro to the rules. Now I wonder if you got any good tips on how to present the rules to the playgroup? Tried searching for such tips but found nothing. As quite seem to point out the game can seem quite danting at first glance but should be easier once you get going. I feel that I got a good grasp of the rules but what would be the most pedagogic order of explaining them, how it relates to the theme and get a generally positive first impression for everyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually start from main board.
I tell them to imagine that the whole board is locked up, until You take a cube. When You take a cube, you unlock certain part of a board, and then I explain what that part of a board is doing.

Usually everyone gets it really fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the big picture, and work towards the small details.

Your turn is take a cube from the board, and then (most of the time) do something.
When all of the cubes are gone, we'll do some end of round maintenance and put out more cubes.
Explain that time is also a resource, and how use track it and how people die. And how the plague cubes work.

Then move the main board and go over the meat of the game. Start with the crafts as they are the easiest (and you won't have folks wondering how you get stuff when you explain the market, council chamber and traveling).

Finish with the well and then Mass.

Good luck. It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben M
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The trickiest part is conveying that some actions require a meeple whereas others don't. Once you're able to hammer that concept home, everything is pretty easy afterwards.

Love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend printing out a cheat sheet (BGG has some) to help you jog your memory while you set up and teach the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E & G Sevelin
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a lot everyone for your quick answers! Looking forward to get some play time with this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.