7 Posts

Machina Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster spawn and horror clarification. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny Carhat
msg tools
mbmbmb
Say I'm playing with 4 players. We each rolls greater than the current monster rating. Do 4 monsters spawn? Same with horror cards. Do we draw 4 horror cards? Or do we only draw 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

You spawn one monster for each roll, so you'd spawn 4 monsters.

But you only ever roll once for horror checks, no matter the number of characters.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the above: when you roll higher than the monster rating but there are already 4 monsters on the map tile your character is standing on, do not add a new monster but increase the monster threat track by 1 instead. If someone else is standing on a different map tile which has fewer than 4 monsters, he/she will still have to add a monster on a higher roll.

Also, of course, if all monster spawns on your map tile are explored (sealed), you won't have to roll at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GhundiPI wrote:
Also, of course, if all monster spawns on your map tile are explored, you won't have to roll at all.

Don't you mean "sealed" rather than "explored"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
Don't you mean "sealed" rather than "explored"?

Yes indeed, an explored monster spawn (explored token on top of it) is of course sealed. I'm probably a bit too used to the way the rulebook describes things. Which is a bit confusing and hopefully the new rulebook will be a bit more understandable in its terminology. I'll add sealed to my post to make it a bit more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Carhat
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for that! I recently bought the exclusive edition off ebay and found the rulebook (although super pretty) to be very disjointed.

The three page summaries here on BGG are very useful.
Also this was my first post here on BGG, hope to be an active member of the community as I just got into designer board games (eldritch horror being my first)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Guilty
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

please check the download section. There is a new draft of the rulebook!

This might clear things up!

Best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.