Popular Tags: [View All]
Diogo Reis
Brazil
Santos
SP
flag msg tools
Hello Masters of Boardverse,

i need your help once again.

I am looking for a new solo char-building boardgame. Similar to PACG idea that you can keep playing with your character through multiple adventures.

However i didn't follow any recent new games (since 2013?) and i am not sure if there is another game that would suit me better right now.

What i am looking for is:
- HIGH solo replayability, for the same character! (i know PACG lack of it)
- Char leveling through multiple games, equips/skills/etc.
- A good balance between randomness and strategy
- Possible good amount of expansions, or commitment of game designer to release in the future

I don't care if its card, board, minis, dices or even ugly art. I just need to be fun as solo.

Can you provide me some names?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game seems like a logical choice (once it gets reprinted ).

You have to play 2 characters, but it's quite fun, and you get to improve various aspects of your characters throughout the campaign (which is quite replayable). Expansions are inevitable as well.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind big games, where you play an entire group of characters, you could also look into Galaxy Defenders or the upcoming Sword & Sorcery.

And there is Mage Knight Board Game, which does not have that character development over multiple games (though your character evolves quite a bit during the game), but is really awesome.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have said most of my options but you still have shadows of brimstone and myth ( character building is not so intense in myth but is campaign driven and a great solo, for me the best in his genere)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Hemberger
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't tried it, but maybe Shadowrun: Crossfire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen Assault on Doomrock and its expansions? It's pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
alucardeck wrote:

Not sure I understand this. IMHO PACG has high solo replayability (w/ the same character or different characters if you want to start over again, or just handicap your self and select stats/cards to level up your character). Granted if you are playing solo it is usually recommended to play 2 to 3 characters to create a balanced team[1]. So I'm curious as to why you think it is not there. Now if you want to talk about how it is the same thing over and over again, that's another story However I suspect most games w/ leveling are essentially going to be like that.

Another one you may want to look at though is Gloomhaven. It is not out yet but some of the initial reviews/info on it seems to indicate it might hit some of the points you are looking for. The one thing that might be a negative though is the fact it sounds like the game requires (or atleast encourages) you to "retire" characters occasionally.

Also Apocrypha Adventure Card Game might be worth a look, however the "leveling up" of characters is less certain in that. It sounds like the characters do get more powerful as the game goes on, but I don't think it is as clear of a concept as "levels".

[1] I tried RotRL solo w/ one character, playing the Paladin IIRC. Anyway breezed through the first scenario, but the main henchman on the second scenario required a check for which I was only rolling a d4... that didn't last long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Paruman
South Africa
Midrand
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen the Shadows of Brimstone games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Third Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Reis
Brazil
Santos
SP
flag msg tools
Thank you for all suggestions, i will look each one closely.

fh13 wrote:
alucardeck wrote:

Not sure I understand this. IMHO PACG has high solo replayability (w/ the same character or different characters if you want to start over again, or just handicap your self and select stats/cards to level up your character). Granted if you are playing solo it is usually recommended to play 2 to 3 characters to create a balanced team[1]. So I'm curious as to why you think it is not there. Now if you want to talk about how it is the same thing over and over again, that's another story However I suspect most games w/ leveling are essentially going to be like that.

I agree with you, my statement wasn't clear.

I am thinking about some kind of game that you could play over and over the same "scenario", but with much more randomness in it. In a way that you would need to play a couple of times to "explore" it all.

It could also be a mix between decision-based on some key points and then a lot of random events until the next key point.

I don't know so many dif games, so i can't give good examples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 7th Continent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
First I'll cover why I don't think some of the games mentioned fit what you're looking for. I'll only talk about the ones I have played (I also own them all).

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Granted it's fun, but the character development is very limited. You have 4 skills you can upgrade to 4 static skills. You are limited to upgrading to allow more than 1 gear, and the gear that goes in those slots.

The game only lasts for 5 quests before it's over. So the character development is really limited.

Galaxy Defenders

This one definitely has the character development you're looking for. You can upgrade weapons, skills, advanced skills. It's more of a squad based tactical combat game though. The missions are pretty neat the way they flow based on wins & losses, and the campaign is long enough that you'll be able to fully develop characters. It is not a fantasy theme though, as it's basically tactical combat against an alien invasion.

Mage Knight Board Game

The character development and fantasy elements are present in this one, but it's a one and done mission. Then you start over and develop a new character. Doesn't really have the long term character development that you're seeking.

Shadowrun: Crossfire

I enjoy this game a lot. It's damn fun. That said, the character development consists of very minor upgrades that involve placing stickers onto your character sheet. You can't really get gear or anything like that. It's also one of those games that you can play solo, but it's a helluva lot more fun with 3-4 people. Also, not a fantasy theme.

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients

The character development in this game is pretty cool. It really feels like a classic RPG, but it's set in a western theme with you fighting against Cthulu-esque hordes of monsters. What it's lacking, and it's a big deal to me, is a cohesive campaign. Basically you don't have a real story here after the intro. After that, it's one random mission that is completely unlinked to another random mission. If these guys come up with a comprehensive solo-campaign, I'll be all-in. Until then... it just falls short.

Now that that's done. Let me give you the game that is my go to solo RPG experience.

Kingdom Death: Monster

Character building - check
Fantasy Themed - check (but more horror, than classic fantasy)
Comprehensive Campaign - check
Ridiculous Fun - check
Tons of content in the base game & more to come - check

The negatives
Expensive as hell
Setup (but honestly, I just leave it setup from session to session)

Kingdom Death : Monster puts you into a horror fantasy world where you control a settlement of survivors that wake up in a strange land. They wake up with nothing but a loin cloth and a stone fragment. As you develop your settlement and characters, you unlock new skills, new weapons & armor, and face bigger and badder enemies. Just a warning though, your characters will die..... a lot. You retain the settlement development and gear acquired, but you will frequently be starting a new character for your party; assuming that you haven't been completely wiped out.

You'll be faced with difficult decisions; such as whether to send your favorite character out to face the Nemesis monster waiting just outside of your settlement walls, or sending that newly born character out and almost certainly losing. Do you risk your highly experienced character, but give yourself a better chance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Reis
Brazil
Santos
SP
flag msg tools
@Unkynd
Awesome explanation, thank you a lot!
You got the spirit for what i am looking for!

To tell the truth I really dont mind if its expensive as I am planning to spend a lot of time on "this" game, so i am willing to make it worth. Also setup time is another thing that i dont care.

I never thought about this possibility of having a persistant settlement development and multiple characters buildings.
Could you recommend me any other game like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
For Solo games, the only thing I've played that comes close is Shadows of Brimstone. If it had a true campaign, Shadows would be phenomenal.

I also played PACG, but got bored of it. It was repetitive and not very hard. Never felt like my characters were in any real danger. KD:M solves that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Reis
Brazil
Santos
SP
flag msg tools
I really enjoyed the video reviews i saw about Shadows of Brimstone and Kingdom Death: Monster.

I think i will buy this Shadows of Brimstone soon.

But about Kingdom Death: Monster i dislike to have to assemble my own minis, i know i will screw it up, also i wish i had any artistic skills to paint those.

I am still open for more suggestions

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shadows of Brimstone requires quite a bit of assembly and painting (if you don't want grey plastic) as well.

KD:M actually requires less assembly to get started. For the first mission you only need to assemble 4 survivors (which are really easy to assemble) and 1 lion. That gets you through the first 3 missions, then you'll need to assemble the butcher.

Basically , you can assemble at a slower pace. Whereas with Brimstone, you're going to need most of the models ready to go for the first mission.

edit : also, you really only have to assemble 4 survivor models and 8 enemy models to fully play KDM. Most of the other models are optional gear outs for survivors with different weapons/armor. Most of them are easy to assemble, but the phoenix and watcher are pretty complicated. Luckily you won't need those until deep into the game (assuming you live that long, muhahaha) KD:M has a much higher difficulty than SoB. Never really was in danger of death in SoB, died a ton in KD:M.

With Brimstone, you're going to need to assemble the heroes, and all of the enemies. The spiders and tentacles are easy, they just need to be glued to a base, but some of the others ones, especially the undead, are pretty damn complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
msg tools
mbmbmb
bump

Are there any other games that are not already meantioned, if you take away the criteria that the "leveling up" occurs over a multiple game span?

Are there any other solo games that allow you to upgrade your character within a single game only, like Mage Knight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
beemanbone wrote:

Are there any other solo games that allow you to upgrade your character within a single game only, like Mage Knight?
It's an older game and may or may not meet other criteria but Return of the Heroes does allow you to upgrade your character's experience during the course of one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
alucardeck wrote:
I really enjoyed the video reviews i saw about Shadows of Brimstone and Kingdom Death: Monster.

I think i will buy this Shadows of Brimstone soon.

But about Kingdom Death: Monster i dislike to have to assemble my own minis, i know i will screw it up, also i wish i had any artistic skills to paint those.

I am still open for more suggestions

Thanks in advance!

I own both of the above, and our game interests and desires seem aligned.

I kickstarted Shadows of Brimstone and was in love with the theme and when the game arrived my wife and I loved it! I have massive overbuy tendencies and usually scoop up all of everything available for a game that I like even if we dont use it (just found an unopened Blackriders set in a box in Garage for the LOTR card game but I digress.)
My love of Shadows of Brimstone lasted about 6 or 7 playthroughs. The gameplay is very shallow and you will see certain characters advance way beyond others. I have not bought anything else for this game and am patiently waiting for my KS stuff to arrive and leaning towards selling most of it when it does. Do not get me wrong this is a fun game, but I personally felt it got samey samey for me very fast that coupled with the character power creep turned me off it.

I recently bought Kingdom Death Monster. If you can afford it and are okay to spend the money on a 'board' game I would highly recommend this. We are currently into our 9th time playing this game (session not full campaign) and I'm already looking forward to our next run through. The game is amazing and the character developement and more importantly the settlement development makes the game so compelling. You are always faced with choices and have to make sacrifices or decisions that you will second guess yourself on throughout the game. I play the game with my wife but would easily and gladly play it solo if she wanted to opt out. (She will not opt out and loves the game as much as I do.)
The monster AI deck and HL deck mechanic is truly amazing and you can literally fight the model multiple times in a row and have multiple different outcomes.

Both games require some level of mini assembly. KDM requires a lot less. I personally like the minis for KDM more than SoB but that is 100% my personal take. You also need to build a lot less to start playing KDM (5 models to get started and that will last at least 5 sessions.) If you are open to proxing you dont really need to build much more. The theme and the design of the game will overcome any proxy minis you put in but I think you will find yourself looking forward to putting more together over time as you will not have a time crunch on your head to do so. I don't mind building minis but as is life time is so limited that I rather be playing a game when I can rahter than building minis. SoB needed a lot built before we could start playing.

hope that helps and good luck with your decision

Oh Yean and in case you couldn't tell from my words above Buy KDM! DD haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

if you don't mind printing and crafting the components first, I can recommend my own game Zombie Slayer.

It includes the leveling up, has a high amount of randomness, yet remains strategic due to the decisions you make.

While the game currently is a stand alone Version, I have two expansions planned, that lead your Slayer on, through further adventures.

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrina
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unkynd wrote:
For Solo games, the only thing I've played that comes close is Shadows of Brimstone. If it had a true campaign, Shadows would be phenomenal.

I also played PACG, but got bored of it. It was repetitive and not very hard. Never felt like my characters were in any real danger. KD:M solves that problem.

Not to hijack the thread, but... wow! I've been playing PACG organized play 4-5 sessions/month for a year (both Shackles & Righteous) and we rarely have something easy! We have had characters almost die and only won on the last turn multiple times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrina
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Imperial Settlers you play a tribe which builds over 5 rounds. There is a solo campaign (found on Portal Games' website) where there are additional developments (like character traits but also challenges) over a series of games. I love resource management games and have really enjoyed playing this. (I also play PACG but haven't done it solo, I play it plenty w/a group.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.