Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel there is a need for putting some kind of identifier on the world tiles in this game. Other games have some identification on them to help inbuilding a map. (As an aside: it boggles my mind that the publishers didn't put identifiers on most items and quests, etc. , making sorting between expansions and upgrades a nightmare. -end rant-).

I'm wondering if we as a community could determine a collective map for the tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be helpful. I suggest medium-sized pics with a label on each. Then you can either refer to it in pdf form or mark your tiles. I have the base and at least 1 expansion pack. I would be willing to start it but folks would have to send me pics of the missing tiles. I wont get the remaining tiles until Journeyman.

Let me know if you want me to do this or if you have some other ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I didn't consider was the copyright protection on the tile images. So I am wondering what issues I might encounter with this? thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the folks at Megacongames encourage these kinds of fan based improvements, but will ask for their approval on their site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they give permission here is what I was thinking:
Folks can either mark their tiles or use the PDF for reference.
How you would then ref with text would be something like this:
A=4x6
B=6x6
C=12x12
Sides are compass based related to the tile icons being right side up - nsew
If needed sides are further referenced as high,mid,low - hml

For instance on page 20 of the 2.0 rule book the 6x12 tiles would be represented like this in text.
Bbc1e-wBbc2
Bbc1 and Bbc2 are the tile names (6x6-base-cave-1 and 6x6-base-cave2)
e=east side and w=west side shows how you connect them

Page 21 of 2.0 rule book for the 3 "Correct" tile placements would look like this in text
Cbo3em-wBbc2
Cbo3el-wBbc2
Bbc2em-nAbc3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your approach, but was hoping for something slightly simpler. For example, Level 7 and Zombicide simply use "A1" or "B2" for tile numbers. While yours are more descriptive, I'm thinking we just aim for "this description and size of tile is called: A1a. The opposite side, which has this description is called A1b.".

If we have permission for image uploading, we can then reference the images and give them identifiers according to the above.

I do, however, like that you separate sizes into letters. (e.g. A=3x6, B=6x6, C=12x12)

So I agree with that portion. But we could leave out the preceeding descriptive text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - permission seemingly granted:

http://megacongames.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1446/permis...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stevie P!

I would like to get consensus on HOW we will label the tiles - but I will start scanning and uploading over the next week. I have the base, and all the tiles available now - and will be getting all the tiles except the 2nd expansion when the Journeyman kickstarter delivers.

I'm excited to finally be contributing to the community!

Stay tuned for image uploads.

(BTW: any suggestion for scanning resolutions to keep file sizes manageable?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can put this all in a single PDF file pretty easily.

I think that we should post just a single PDF file instead of a bunch of small files.

Lets use this thread to work out the naming convention and how to use. Then you and I can work on the first draft and post that, soliciting some pics from the community for any we are missing.

I currently have 6-12x12, 6-4x6, and 14-6x6 tiles
A=4x6 - A1a, A1b ... A6a, A6b
B=6x6 - B1a, B1b, ... B14a, B14b
C=12x12 - C1a, C1b, ... C6a, C6b

Is this naming convention what you envisioned?

so my "usage" system updated would look like this with the naming convention and just assigning names to the tiles in the manual:
For instance on page 20 of the 2.0 rule book the 6x12 tiles would be represented like this in text.
B1ae-wB2b

tile names are in red
e=east side and w=west side shows how you connect them

Page 21 of 2.0 rule book for the 3 "Correct" tile placements would look like this in text
C1bem-wB11b
C1bel-wB11b
B11bem-nA3a
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with your convention/methodology (two constitutes a consensus, right? )

So the next action is to get images. I can start that tonight. What size should I aim for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's get started, shall we?

Here is a 4x6 tile:

And it's opposite side:

I have no idea if this is a base tile, expansion, KS exclusive, or whatever, but it needs an identifier for future mapmaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I really like the idea! Could also be quite useful for our Community Project if you want certain tiles for a quest setup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
I really like the idea! Could also be quite useful for our Community Project if you want certain tiles for a quest setup!

That is essentially why this is needed. The goal is to create a file that identifies the tiles, publish it here and the MCG forum, and then everyone can work off of that. So instead of using hi-res images, one can reference map identifiers instead. (e.g. setup using realm tiles A1a, B2a, and C1b as indicated, follow normal tile placement rules, etc. ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12from1 wrote:
Let's get started, shall we?

Here is a 4x6 tile:

And it's opposite side:

I have no idea if this is a base tile, expansion, KS exclusive, or whatever, but it needs an identifier for future mapmaking.

This is from Tile Expansion 1

I think they numbering should be very simple. A1, B2, etc.

I'm not sure if something about the set that it comes from needs to be included or not,...and the size? If you have a picture in the module then you will know,... but if you are using the system to reference a tile on a quest card???? then again,... if you are being that specific on a quest card,... just include the picture on the setup side of the card.

Maybe:......

M = base game
E = Expansion
S = Supplement
K = Shores of Kanis
B = Blackwall Warrens

but then, you will have tiles in all of the modules,.... that gets too complicated

In the end,.... maybe simple numbers is enough???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it would be nice to know where each tile comes from. I think we can put that in the description. But for ease of setup, simple numbers/letters on the tile are what is needed.

I'm also thinking this could be a useful tool for custom scenario creation, as someone will have a handy sheet to reference and then can create a list of necessary tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I also think the simplier the better! The info if it is base game / expansion is in fact quite useful, in case you don't own the tile but want to purchase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the first pass by
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and it looks great. I think we'll have a VERY USEFUL TOOL for custom scenario creation, as well as just for referencing what is needed for official scenarios. Great job so far, Steve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ben.

Does anyone know how we can find the break down of the tiles?

I am sure I have to rename some of the tiles I have already labeled so I can put base and expansions in consecutive order, but neither of us know the source of our tiles.

I think I can identify all the base tiles since I bought the base copy for my brother so we can play across the interweb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kostas nikolo
Greece
Iraklio
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is also, the simpler, the better. There is no need to include more info about the tile in each tile code. For more information, someone could refer to a reference file.

For the tile code, i propose to use 3 (or maybe 4?) digits, for example:
A034, B002, B101 or A0034, B0002, B0101

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kostas nikolo
Greece
Iraklio
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
Thanks Ben.
Does anyone know how we can find the break down of the tiles?

Some images can be found in the rulebook pdf. They are small sized but clear enough to be used as reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben and I finished the project. I am uploading the PDF. Look for it after BGG approves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.