Andrew Harmon
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I'm currently working on designing a board for a Bible themed strategy game. One piece of feedback I've received is that at the moment the board looks too much like Ticket To Ride. Is this something you feel like is an issue?

Also any additional suggestions would be appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Mcneary
msg tools
Re: Does this board look too much like Ticket To Ride?
If you want to differentiate the map from Ticket to Ride you could make it look older; right now the aesthetic is pretty modern. Look at old maps for reference.

You could also make it look significantly more "biblical." Images of jesus, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are fine. There are plenty of games out there with point-to-point maps, and even some which have score tracks around the outside. And anyway, TtR doesn't have the other features you have on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool concept. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, I'm not getting a Ticket to Ride vibe from the board. I think you're clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
For what its worth, I'm not getting a Ticket to Ride vibe from the board. I think you're clear.

What CasualSax said. You must be hearing from people who have limited exposure to games, i.e. only TtR as a comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
You must be hearing from people who have limited exposure to games, i.e. only TtR as a comparison.

Definitely this. I don't think it's even remotely similar to a TtR board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that you could "olden" this board. It didn't remind me of the original TTR board but brought to mind the Swiss board. It may be also worth considering how the scoring track could be changed or made to look different - I think that this is as much part of any similarity and the playing space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Harmon
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I definitely like the suggestion to age the board a bit to make it look more like an ancient map.

And yes, most of the people that commented about the Ticket To Ride similarities had probably mostly only ever played games that you could find at Walmart, though I think one of those people had played games like Dominion and Settlers.

It seems the main things that makes it look similar is the dotted lines connecting locations. I've considered replacing these with solid lines. This might help give it less of a TtR feeling. I'll also try to give some thought into how the scoring track could be done differently. Having it go around the border of the board definitely best utilizes the space, but maybe there is a better solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also will agree with most here saying its not that close to ticket to ride. You'r fine.
But there are some possible changes you could do to help:
-dress up the point track, take a look at ttr track, it shows some theme with it I think you can do the same but with your own theme.
-have the city dots a different shape
-have the connection lines solid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It only looks like TtR because you brought it up.
However, since you are concerned, you'll probably see it as TtR quite often.

Possible solutions:
(1) Sepia-Tone your map.
(2) Use something other than dashes for your routes (footprints, dotted route, thin line, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here expecting the boards to look the same, but really, they are not even remotely close to each other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it looks much like Ticket To Ride, but if the resemblance is distracting to some of your playtesters, you could try making the paths solid lines rather than dotted-- I think the series of dashes is evoking TTR a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Harmon
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I'm relieved to see that you all don't think it looks too similar. I didn't really think about it while designing it, but when I had a few different people comment on that when I was looking for feedback, I thought I better get a second opinion.

At the very least I will replace the dotted lines with something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.