1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a meatier/heavier game that plays at least 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geek And Geekability
msg tools
mb
So my husband and I have had great luck when introducing our friends to board games and we now consistently have 6-8 on a typical game night (that's just our core group of friends, our monthly game group that we started through our church has 26 members and averages about 14 per event).

These friends are all open to heavier games which we often play if 1 or 2 couples can't make it, but when we're all together we often have to resort to lighter or party-style games to fit everyone (7 wonders, bohnanza, codenames, things like that). Before anyone suggests it, we're not interested in breaking into smaller groups to play. We play games as a way to spend time together as a group and we'd rather play lighter games together than heavier games apart.

Any suggestions on some meatier games that would accommodate at least 6? If it could play up to 8 that would be awesome but I realize that's going to be harder to find. The biggest issue that I'm foreseeing is long play time and long down-time for players between their individual turns so something where everyone acts simultaneously might be especially nice (but not absolutely necessary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The heaviest (and great, at least with 3-4) game I can think of that plays this many is Caverna: The Cave Farmers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Show Manager
Medieval Merchant
are the main ones I'd voluntarily play with 6, usually I'd suggest 2 tables of 3 for heavier games
also M, Elfenland, but they are lighter games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species is a heavy worker placement that plays up to 6. It can be a really mean game though.

Maybe Letters From Whitehcapel, not very heavy, but a wonderful game, also plays up to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Weirich
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Caverna plays up to 7 - I have only played with 2 though
- Game of Thrones plays best with 6
- Power Grid also plays up to 6 - I have only played up to 4 though

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From meatiest to mid-light but still meatier than anything you listed:

Keyflower 6
Caverna: The Cave Farmers 7
Viticulture Essential Edition 6
Lords of Waterdeep + Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport 6

I might add more later, but this is what comes to mind from my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geek And Geekability
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the suggestions! We have letters from Whitechapel and Power Grid (which I totally forgot plays up to 6).

We also have Lords of Waterdeep + Scoundrels but I don't love the expansion. I wish there was a good way to add the 6th player without using the actual expansion mechanics but there really isn't enough room on the board for that.

re: Dominant Species, what do you mean by a "mean game". Going directly after other players and things like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bomb Squad isn't exactly rocket science but has plenty of good team strategy, and it solves the downtime issue with 6 players pretty well because it is timer-based. I've had a lot of fun talking strategy in between plays with the group before deciding to activate the timer and take a crack at defusing the bomb.

Cosmic Encounter is playable with 6-8 if you get an expansion I believe? That game always has action when it isn't your turn.

Lastly, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is 6 player with an expansion and the rounds go pretty quickly, though keeping track of the deck contents of the other players can get really rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekAndGeekability wrote:

re: Dominant Species, what do you mean by a "mean game". Going directly after other players and things like that?

Yes, it has been described as almost a war game. You are purposely trying to cause other peoples species to go extinct. So there is direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm wary of suggesting this as it is infamous for killing friendships if played with the wrong group.

But Diplomacy is a heavy game for up to 7, with any downtime spent negotiating alliances for the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) with expansions support up to 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Versbraegen
Belgium
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite games: Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Try some cooperative games. While not exactly meaty, they are not light either. They also encourage group interaction, which it sounds like you really want. Sadly I don't have it, but I'd recommend Battlestar Galactica. One of the best games I've played for encouraging people to talk. It'll play up to 7 with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Angband wrote:
I'm wary of suggesting this as it is infamous for killing friendships if played with the wrong group.

But Diplomacy is a heavy game for up to 7, with any downtime spent negotiating alliances for the next turn.
I think that if it's a cookbook, and the recipe's ingredients are
a) "trying to win"
b) "playing diplomacy"
c) "3 couples"

then you might as well call the recipe "How to get a scheduled game night with three single buddies"

If you can find it and have 6 hours to kill, Here I Stand has all the positives of Diplomacy with enough other stuff going on that the nasty backstabbing isn't the same factor. Every player is playing a unique game. I'm quite taken with this game. I've gone from "Just learning" to "completely obsessed" as quick as any game I've played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 would be the best to fit the criteria as 6 it's a very good number of players for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dimelidim wrote:
One of my favorite games: Eclipse.

Eclipse is legit if you've got the time to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geek And Geekability
msg tools
mb
Angband wrote:

Haha, we've actually looked into this multiple times but it's my understanding that it takes something crazy like 12 hours to play so we thought it would be really hard to get to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy can play up to 6 with expansions, and even 7 if you have the 7th player just vocally declare their action after everyone else has chosen.

It's simultaneous play, so there's no downtime, and takes about the same length no matter then number of players (about an hour).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)

While certainly not "heavy" it is a bit heavier than what you're currently playing.

It's all relative, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geusebroek
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get Railways of the World on the table with a group like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekAndGeekability wrote:
Angband wrote:

Haha, we've actually looked into this multiple times but it's my understanding that it takes something crazy like 12 hours to play so we thought it would be really hard to get to the table.

Ha ! Good point. I've only ever played it with a weekly club meet-up group and we played it a turn a week, with people negotiating during the week and placing orders (a turn) once a week. So I guess I can't really answer the question of how long a single session game would take, sorry modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're open to semi-cooperative games, how about Shadows over Camelot? The base game supports up to 7 players. With the Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company expansion, you can play with 8.

Note that the game requires one or two players to play a secret traitor, who tries to sabotage the situation without being too obvious. As a learning game, you might play it with 6 without the traitor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue I found over the years is that games that you can play with 6 are not always best played with 6 and in some cases are significantly worse with 6. Check the "User Suggested # of Players" for the game to get a sense of the opinions of those in the BGG community. With that caveat, here a few games to look at:

Imperial - Meaty euro/war/economic game with lots going on.
Chicago Express - Plays 6, doesn't take too long, but it is way better with fewer players.
Medici - Part of Knizia's auction trilogy. Mid weight euro.

I was also thinking of the Settlers of Catan with expansions. Seafarers and Cities and Knights can add a bit of meat (and time) to the game and play 6 if you have all the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geek And Geekability
msg tools
mb
Shadows over camelot sounds interesting so I'll definitely have to check it out. I see "player elimination" listed as a mechanic though. Does that happen often? I don't want someone to be sitting around for an hour waiting on the rest of us to finish the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.