BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 player war game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Mcfly
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,

I am looking for a great 2P war game. I own Memoir 44 but I would like something else. I'm looking for a game that can be played under 90-120 min. Twilight Struggle sounds great but seems way too long.

I own both Kemet and Cyclades which are my 2 favorites but I prefer keeking those 2 masterpiece for when we are 3+ players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of good two player wargames. Do you want another tactical (small unit) game like Memoir 44 or something on a larger scale (divisions and above)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Heroes of Normandie would be up your alley?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any particular period or scale (individual battles, campaigns, entire wars)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
actual war game or ust fighty fighty games like Kemet?

I enjoy Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition), tis a great system I think.

For a fun but beautiful experience, 1775: Rebellion is awesome for light historic dice rolling, more Memoir level but a very different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots might be up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Mcfly
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks but I realize I should have been more precise. It doesn't have to be a straight up war game like M44 or Axis and Allies. A war "theme" is fine as long as get to attack your opponent like in Kemet.

Blood Rage is a potential but I wonder if it's too similar to Kemet or if it's one of those game that is great with 3 or more players. There seems to be lots of text reading which I'm not crazy about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Innominato76
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is a classic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader

Nuff Said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan76 wrote:
Julius Caesar

This was my first dip (very recently) and I quite enjoyed it. Although the system is very simple, choosing what to do with each more can be quite the feat. So much to do, so few cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line

Command & Colors Ancients ( a superior implementation, according to most, of Borg's M44 rules set)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jediskills wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for a great 2P war game. I own Memoir 44 but I would like something else.

Perhaps one of the other Command and Colors style games. For instance I own Battles of Westeros which I feel plays way different from Memoir 44 and I for one like it much better. Where Memoir 44 has the left/right/center movement cards BoW has no such thing. It's more about movement relative to ones commanders. I can't really speak to the other CoC style games but they may also be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many, many, many great 2-player wargames. Even more "war-type" games.

Can you give us a little more criteria to narrow down the list a little? Any era or setting that interests you? Diceless, disk-based, card-based, miniatures, ... what would you prefer?

There are so many, you could probably make up a set of criteria using any two or three areas and get a good recommendation.

Aerial World War I, no dice, plan in advance:
Wings of Glory: WW1 Duel Pack

Counters, dice, and cards for World War II movie-action:
Heroes of Normandie

Hex-and-counter hidden movement for early 20th century Naval Battles:
Great War at Sea: 1904-1905, The Russo-Japanese War

Mini's with the rules right on them for quick Superhero battles:
HeroClix

The dice actually ARE the units, and you roll them to see what the arm does in a Fantasy (dragons, wizards) setting:
Dragon Dice

Blocks with hidden strength and card-triggered actions in the Wars of Scottish Independence:
Hammer of the Scots

and on and on and on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an important thing to note is that while M'44 has loads of scenarios, many 'heavy' wargames only have one and their playing time can be far longer (and the rules far heavier).

The Columbia block-games are very good - Hammer of the Scots has been mentioned, but they have done others as well which might be more of interest historically. The rules are heavier than M'44, but still not hard to learn, you don't end up with the insane chit stacks of some grand scale games.

The blocks are good fun too, keeping unit identities hidden until combat to provide a neat 'fog of war' effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gernstetter

Dublin
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War is a great game. It plays in about 90-120 minutes and is card driven like Twilight Struggle and memoir 44. Unlike TS it adds a military component and unlike memoir 44 it has a political influence component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.