Popular Tags: mechanics [+] [View All]
Edward Kung
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm a long time lurker who recently decided to start applying some of the data skills I use at work to thinking about board games. For that, I started a blog, and for my first post I wanted to do something simple which is just to use BGG data to look at what mechanics have become more or less popular over time in the past decade.

You can find the blog post here:
http://www.ludometrica.org/?p=23

Feel free to comment here or on the blog! I'll definitely try to interact as much as I can with anyone who's interested in this stuff.

By the way, there's a small data mining guild here on BGG, with some interesting work already done by others in it, in case you want to check it out.

(Finally, apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum for this kind of post. If you could point me to a more appropriate place for this, I'd appreciate it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I'd change your title to something else. I figured this would be a rant about non-gaming magazines writing reviews about games they played wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow great stuff. /tipped

Check out a Ludology podcast a couple years ago where they explore games and mechanisms introduced by decade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kung
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
I'd change your title to something else. I figured this would be a rant about non-gaming magazines writing reviews about games they played wrong.

Maybe I will write about that someday!

ath3ist wrote:
Wow great stuff. /tipped

Check out a Ludology podcast a couple years ago where they explore games and mechanisms introduced by decade

Thanks! Ludology is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themistoklis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
designer
Game Design Theory Lover !!!
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed great stuff! Also Tipped.

Here is a relative poll I am running about the most popular game mechanics at this time:

What are your favorite game mechanics (POLL) ? (400+ Votes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.