Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryant Nelson
United States
Taylor
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about using the pokeballs.

The Great Ball reads:
Quote:
play this card to add 1 to(or subtract 1 from) your roll

The Ultra Ball reads:
Quote:
play this card to add 1 or 2 to your roll

Does this mean that if I'm trying to catch a Pokemon that requires a 3,4,5 and I play the Ultra Ball, then roll a 5, then I can't catch the Pokemon?

If that's the case, then a Great Ball would make a "3,4,5" Pokemon catchable with a "2,3,4,5,6" but an Ultra Ball would only make it catchable with "1,2,3,4". This doesn't seem to be the intended behavior, since the Ultra Ball is supposed to be more powerful.

Am I missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori GT:BulimianRhapsdy
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Ultra Balls are used in the video game to capture extremely rare Pokemon; the extremely rare Pokeys in the board game require a 6 to be rolled in order to capture them.

You don't go throwing Ultra Balls at a Raticate, who needs a 4 or 5 to cap; you throw a Great Ball at it.

The idea is to alter your capture roll to 50% or higher by using the balls, while reflecting the rarity and capture mechanics of the video game.

TLDR:
Great Ball= throw at multi-numbered Pokeys.
Ultra Ball= throw at the Pokeys that say 6 on their capture roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.