lauren howe
United States
flag msg tools
I've found a review websites that have been fun to watch and I've learned a lot, but I'd like to learn more basic information pertaining to boardgames that aren't necessarily explained in reviews- for instance, explaining what a deckbuilding game is versus abstract versus cooperative.

Are there any blogs or websites where this kind of information is explained? Or maybe has some good intro or welcome to the hobby type of videos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby!

If you look here on BGG under the "browse" option you can browse various databases including mechanics, artists, designers, etc.

That might be a good place to start?

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:

The Dice Tower also has a podcast episode (and quite probably a video episode, too) oe two in which they go through the common types of games, best intro games, next step games, etc.

Seconded for the Dice Tower. They even have a "New to Gaming?" Link right at the top of their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Glossary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got started, I just wandered around on here (usually starting from the homepage or newsletter) reading and participating in different topics that sounded interesting. Every time I come across a term I don't know, I look it up in the BGG Glossary or ask if it isn't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lauren howe
United States
flag msg tools
I have already watched a ton of Dice Tower and love it!! BUT...mostly through YouTube and very little through their website. On my computer the New To Gaming? is a little red banner over their logo and quite frankly I completely overlooked it- I kept looking everywhere else for a New to Gaming link.

This is great- thanks for pointing this out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lauren howe
United States
flag msg tools
That's about what I've been doing...and honestly I've been having a fun time with it. But questions kept popping up and I finally decided maybe there is a good video that summarizes several terms for me- all in one place.

The BGG glossary looks very helpful thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northants.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of terminology out there and it becomes easy to take it for granted that everyone else understands it - I found this series of videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_pENlxgWmb99tQJw5xtC...
by "Sweethearts or Rivals" does quite a good job of explaining a lot of the most common ones.

It's 32 short videos each explaining one term such as "deckbuilding", "abstract", "point salad", etc.

Welcome to the hobby and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This site, of course! There's tons of info here, both on the site itself and in the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
This used to be the best site for board gamers. Now you'd be better off just going to a gaming store and meeting gamers that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Skelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityReborn wrote:
This used to be the best site for board gamers. Now you'd be better off just going to a gaming store and meeting gamers that way.

How so? I'm not exactly new to the hobby, but new to participating in the community here. It's been extremely helpful any time I've had a question about a game or mechanic as well as great for finding new games that fit a certain set of tastes.

At any rate, by your argument this is still the best site for board gaming, even if going to a FLGS(friendly local game store. that one had me stumped for a while until I looked it up here) is a better way to meet people. The OP wasn't asking about meeting people, but learning more about the hobby's vernacular.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I'm being rude. Welcome to the hobby and this site, lauren! I'm with you...I like learning about board gaming almost as much as I like playing them .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinDJacobson wrote:
AnimalMkIV wrote:

The Dice Tower also has a podcast episode (and quite probably a video episode, too) oe two in which they go through the common types of games, best intro games, next step games, etc.

Seconded for the Dice Tower. They even have a "New to Gaming?" Link right at the top of their site.

Since it was slightly tricky for me to find that link, here's the videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Fox
United States
Cairo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Hobby Lauren,

A few years ago I was in the same spot you are now. I was mostly a video gamer and I was (and still am) getting tired of video gaming. It was the digital version of Catan and a friend teaching me how to play Puerto Rico that really got me into this hobby.

Other than this site, my big jump off for games was [geekurl=http://geekandsundry.com/shows/tabletop/]Tabletop[/geekurl] with Will Wheaton on Geek and Sundry. (It's a youtube channel). I know most will probably say that it wasn't the best spot, but I can say that watching them play Small World, got me to make the plunge to buy the game a delve deeper into the hobby. Heck, I introduced it to my wife, and now we own EVERYTHING Small World has put out.

The Dice Tower is also another place I got a lot of my information from. Their new board gamer banner is an awesome spot to start off as well. Someone already mentioned it and you saw it, so I don't need to go into more detail there.

Welcome to the hobby, and feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board To Death TV
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this facebook group is really cool, full of nice people, if you have facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theboardgamegroup/

Hope it helps!

I also do video reviews if you want to check out my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BoardtoDeathTV

I can answer questions too if you have some, PM me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.