10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Templates for developer webpage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Kreps
Norway
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: Sorry in advance if this should be posted somewhere else.

Also: should note I've know very little about web design (but I do know a little about simple coding).

First: is there a source of free webpage templates (I got a few free ones from creativemarket.com - but not sure they would be suitable)?

Second: do most indie developers buy a domain for your game or company or just use a free blogspot (or similar)? Is a facebook page sufficient?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Esters
msg tools
I don't know much about either; but if I were you, I would try a little bit of all three. The more free advertisement the better. If you've noticed, the more popular YouTubers have two or three links to their various internet presences. I still haven't sold any of my games yet, but I do intend to establish my credibility as a board-game maker online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some advice from James Mathe:

– SOCIAL WORK

* Establish your brand before you start. I cannot stress this enough.
* Be a part of your community and gain followers now. Post on relevant topics and discussions.
* Get people to like your Facebook page (at least 500) and follow you on twitter (at least 100)
* Make a Facebook page now and give it a friendly URL with http://www.facebook.com/username

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Kreps
Norway
flag msg tools
Excellent advice, I'll keep it in mind.

I did find free templates that were quite nice, but can't remember the site at the moment. I've played around with it, but not completed anything nor considered buying a site name.

I'll try pitching the game to publishers first. I'll consider self-publishing/Kickstarter if I fail finding publishers. Thanks for you help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xian Brock
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm a web developer by trade, and I'll say that if you're not going to pay someone like me to build and maintain your site(s) for you then you're going to be devoting a lot of time to getting it up and running that you would otherwise spend working on your game.

Setting up a Facebook group page or fan page is a fantastic way to get started on building up your fan base. The only problem is that Facebook will only share your posts with about 5% of your fans unless you pay them. With Twitter, you're at the mercy of tweeting stuff when people happen to be on and see your tweet. Most people will not go sifting through what all has recently come through in their feed to see what they've missed beyond the last couple hours.

Still, all that said it's still worth it to build up those networks even with their limitations until your able to spend the time to build out your own site and start putting out a newsletter to make sure your fans are getting your information.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastiaan Reinink
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mb
Setting up a decent looking website isn't hard at all. There are many tutorials online, but the gist is:

Buy a domain name (10 Euro? 10 minutes)
Buy hosting (10 Euro / month? 10 minutes)
Figure out how your host works (free. A few hours)
Install Wordpress (free, 10 minutes)
Select a nice Wordpress theme and tweak it to your liking; this is the "template" you asked about (free, a few hours)
Select some relevant Wordpress plugins (free, a few hours)
Write content (free, anywhere between minutes and weeks)

Wordpress is extremely easy to use and packs just about anything that you might require. Of course there is a learning curve, but it's not steep (for me figuring out how to get along with my hosting company's software was the difficult bit).

I've used this to set up two different blogs (Wordpress is mostly for blogs, but it works perfectly well for more static websites as well. Having said that, you -should- have regular updates and a blog format works well for that).
The second time I got everything up and running well within a day.
If you want to take a look at the active one: http://perpetual-wonder.com/blog

I will be going through this process myself again soon to get something for my own budding enterprise.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Powell
msg tools
Very cool blog Bastiaan; congratulations on the engagement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastiaan Reinink
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mb
Many thanks!

She agreed to have meeples to indicate the seating arrangement :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
thumbsup Co-sign Bastiaan's recommendation.

Wordpress is the easiest and free way to do a professional developer/designer site. It's primarily built for landing pages and blogs, which is what you want initially, and it's also easy to add product pages or even a working store plugin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wordpress is NOT the easiest. Weebly is - no coding required, very very easy to use with simply drag and drop actions. The only area you need to work on is hyperlinking and there are free guides to show you how to do that. Buy a domain once your site is complete and you can actually export the weebly site by following this simple video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGQshiRsalk

I have no web design knowledge I manage perfectly fine. I know people complaining about how complicated wordpress is and I find many sites that use it looking tacky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.