Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Howell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New game for everyone involved, Jason recently bought it and brought it with him so we had to give it a try.

Initially it felt like there was some ambiguity in the rules several times and I'm still not quite sure why you'd ever want to play a Panic! card. Because unless I read it wrong, a person with a distance of 1 draws a card, unless your the deputy sitting next to the sherriff I don't see the point, anyhow, I digress.

We started off playing, none of us had stupendous guys, Jason had the ability to take a card from however hit him at random from their hand. Kara got to draw another card if her second draw was a heart or diamond, my guy had the ability to draw a card when he was shot, and lastly Casey could choose to draw his first card from someones hand.

Initial HP's (or bullets if you prefer) were:
Casey (Sheriff): 5
Zach: 4
Kara: 4
Jason: 3 <-- Felt this was unfair as his ability didn't make up for having one less hitpoint that everyone except the sheriff, which had two more than him.

We sat following in the clockwise order: Casey, Jason, Kara, Zach, puting me and Jason next to the Sheriff.

I got off to a slow start being dealt 4 guns. Yes 4 guns, while guns are good, in a 4 player game a range needed of more than 3 is not needed and I drew 2 3-Range guns, a 5-Range gun, and one 2 range gun. So I sat there and did nothing for two turns while I worked my hand up.

I was an outlaw, I picked on the sherriff initially who picked on all of us equally. I then had the good luck of drawing the mustang card which is a great asset.

Jason was the first to die, I wasn't intentionally going to kill him, but the 3 card draw for finishing him off was too much to pass up, so I killed him and got my 3 cards. Kara got worked down by the Sheriff and finally it was me and the Sheriff, the mustang kept me from harms way for 90% of the game as I seemed to be drawing all the guns and Jason before his untimely death had the only other gun. So me and the Sheriff went through the deck about 2 1/2 more times before he finally got a gun and in a long winded battle, he killed me. His ability to draw from someone elses hand forced to to continually discard everything I had relying on drawing 2 cards.

The sheriff had one bullet when I died, and he won the game.

All and all, would be fun with more people, as there might actually be a use for the guns, but when it got down to me and Casey it felt 100% luck based on who would draw the right card, and as the turns were so quick we were both drinking beers left and right and getting shot that it drug on for almost 25 minutes.

I would play again in a bigger crowd, but with games like Guillotine which doesn't eliminate people nor force a 2 player "war"-like finish, I would assume play that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Session Report
illwill (#20617),

Lets see..how many ways can we play a game wrong...at least two from this report..

Panic Card: you get to take (draw) a card from somebody one seat away (you can take it from their hand or from play..like a gun, barrel, or horse).

In the endgame (when two people are left) you can't drink any more beer (no time to drink beer when it's mano a mano).

If you were playing the panic card wrong, you may want to revisit all the cards and make sure you are playing those correctly too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Howell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckles2000 (#20675),

Hahah, sounds like we did, it would have been nice to know on the beer element, because the sherriff was kicking them back left and right, and I only drank 2 during all that so I would have won.

Panic, has a "draw card" symbol and a "bullseye with a 1" meaning a player at a distance of 1 draws a card? I understand it now, it can be read several ways and again would have probabaly given me the victory, thanks for the update Mike, should be more fun next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Howell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckles2000 (#20675),

Also the other cards made sense, the panic card just seemed strange, the only other card we may have played wrong was the saloon, but I gathered from the salooon that:

The player playing the card drinks a beer

OR

Everyone but the player who played the card drinks a beer (which was sort of puzzling, so theres a good chance we played that wrong)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the other cards made sense, the panic card just seemed strange, the only other card we may have played wrong was the saloon, but I gathered from the salooon that:

The player playing the card drinks a beer

OR

Everyone but the player who played the card drinks a beer (which was sort of puzzling, so theres a good chance we played that wrong)

Yup, you did. Change that "OR" to an "AND." In essence, everyone still alive drinks a beer.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bfchooch (#20690),

You are correct...

The one question we had while playing was if you could play the saloon card when it got down to two players. We decided that the same logic that would disallow the beer card should disallow the Saloon card. It wasn't specifically in the rules, but it does keep the game moving somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Howell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bfchooch (#20690),

Cool thanks for clearing things up, hopefully next round won't be so painfully long for those who had been eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Sciarra
Italy
CERVETERI
RM
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckles2000 (#20695),

Actually, you can play the Saloon card when there are only 2 players alive. The rules simply say that "Beer cards have no effect". Even if the Saloon shows the same symbol, it is not a Beer card and so it is perfectly legal to play it in a one-on-one game ending -- however, you cannot play it out of your turn if you are about to be killed, as the Beer cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For anyone wondering why this might be useful, try playing with High Noon (if you can get your hands on it).

That extra life could come in really handy when you're behind in the life count with High Noon coming up. Giving both players a life so you can survive one more card draw... hopefully with a volcanic, could swing the game in your favor.

--kMs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.