Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Just purchased to play with my 7 yr old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Perkins
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I purchased the Star Wars FA starter set and my son picked out a TIE Punisher to begin learning how to play the game. I'm looking for some squad build ideas to maintain his interest and to introduce him to tourneys without getting crushed. I'm looking for a solid but easy to use 120 pt squad for him to play with. Also, his style is nearly always using overpowering offense with little to no concern for defense. Sort of like a zerg offensive or a red burn deck. I realize it has many gaping flaws, but the style works for him and he has beaten players twice his age using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TIE swarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
B-Wings are good for young players who want to go full offense. The 6 Sigma list could be good, 4 low PS phantoms. That's 16 red dice, 20 at range 1, but you're left squishy because of low PS and no Advanced Cloaking Device.

Edit: All these people playing with their 7-9 year olds. My 5 year old needs to hurry up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
My eldest had a lot of luck with the Y-Wing at age 6. It's slow and doesn't maneuver well, but turrets make up for a lot of that. Ships with turrets are very forgiving to young players who may not maneuver well.

One of the joys of this game is how you can play with your kids and still get a good game in! I'm hoping the Ghost shows up in the next couple weeks before my eldest son's 8th birthday. I really want to pick that up for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure playing at 120 points is the best way to get him ready for tournaments, which are almost exclusively played at 100 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Perkins
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The store we play with has a 120 pt tourney next month geared towards younger players (12 and under). That's the only reason for that pt total. 100 pt ideas are welcome too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kensai35f wrote:
I purchased the Star Wars FA starter set and my son picked out a TIE Punisher to begin learning how to play the game. I'm looking for some squad build ideas to maintain his interest and to introduce him to tourneys without getting crushed. I'm looking for a solid but easy to use 120 pt squad for him to play with. Also, his style is nearly always using overpowering offense with little to no concern for defense. Sort of like a zerg offensive or a red burn deck. I realize it has many gaping flaws, but the style works for him and he has beaten players twice his age using it.

I also agree that 120 points is not the way to go if you are preparing him for tournaments. When I play with my nephews I have them fly 125 points to make it more of a fair fight, but that is just to make it fun for them and allow me to fly legit 100 point lists.

My suggestion for a list would be a Falcon + 2 other ships, probably X-Wings or B-Wings. Last year at nationals, the winner flew a YT2400 + 2 B-wings. So a big turret with two side kicks is still a very viable list.

A list like this would be really powerful:

Han Solo (Falcon) with Luke, and Chewie as Crew (57 pts)
1 Blue Squad B-wing (22pts)
1 Rookie X-wing (21 pts)

This list only has 2 upgrades (Luke and Chewie) and they come with the Falcon expansion, so you don't have go hunting for rare upgrade cards. Also, it is very thematic to have Han flying with Luke and Chewie on board so that makes it fun for your son. Luke's ability combos very well with Han's, almost guaranteeing that he will do damage each attack even if he crashes or clips an asteroid. Since your son doesn't care about defense, Chewie is there to give him two extra hit points and protect him against a bad crit.

Once he gets the hang of flying and wants to try something more strategic he can fly:

Chewie (Falcon) + Gunner + Falcon title + Predator
2 Blue Squads + Fire control systems

This takes advantage of more synergy. Predator comes in the Defender and Kiraz packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
My eldest had a lot of luck with the Y-Wing at age 6. It's slow and doesn't maneuver well, but turrets make up for a lot of that. Ships with turrets are very forgiving to young players who may not maneuver well.

One of the joys of this game is how you can play with your kids and still get a good game in! I'm hoping the Ghost shows up in the next couple weeks before my eldest son's 8th birthday. I really want to pick that up for him.

This is a good point. I picked up the SW core for a 16 year old nephew and a y-wing just in case his little brother, 11, wanted to play. The 11 year old grasped the power of ionization in 360 immediately. Every parent out there should buy a few y-wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:

"for him"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Perkins
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll take a look at the b-wings and y-wings next time we're at the store. The falcon is a bit too expensive until I'm sure he is going to stay with the game but probably still a good bet later if he is still playing in 6 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kensai35f wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll take a look at the b-wings and y-wings next time we're at the store. The falcon is a bit too expensive until I'm sure he is going to stay with the game but probably still a good bet later if he is still playing in 6 months.

Yes, the Falcon is more expensive, but it counts for 2 ships. If you want just B-wings, you will need to buy four. If you want to add a Falcon, you only need 2 B-wings and 1 Falcon. The cost is about the same as the Falcon costs roughly twice what a small ship costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Kentz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:

"I really want to pick that up for him." lol.. Sure dad!

My now 11 year old loves the game! We go to tourneys all the time. He was so nervous at first until I pointed out that the old guys are more scared of losing to him than anything. They often shake and make mistakes.

I suggest a 100pt build with a ship like the Millennium Falcon, Slave-1 or a Decimator with a small ship or two. Crew the big ship with a gunner and not too many shenanigans. It's also best to start playing a basicn squad against him without to many upgrades. Get the core mechanics down first before introducing him to squad building.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
All these people playing with their 7-9 year olds. My 5 year old needs to hurry up!

Are you kidding? My 20-month old really needs to hurry up! Though he already has some Star Wars books (the Epic Yarns books, which are great for any parent hoping to get to their children early) that he identifies as "Sarwars." And he has a stuffed Chewbacca that he calls "Bacca."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally planned on staying on simple rules, leaving out everything except the rules explained in the tutorial-game in the manual, for my 6 year old. But he kept asking to use the components left out, and I needed to give him some advantages, so yesterday, for his fourth play, we added the "expert" rules. He needed a helping hand, here and there, and once or twice, I blankly told him why a move was a bad move and said he should do something else, but most of the time he made his own decision and those weren't all bad decisions.

Great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cameron
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My 9 year old and I just played the biggest game of X-wing we could get on the table. He flew ever Rebel ship we had (Falcon (High BMI Han ), A wing, 2 x T65 X-wings, T70 X-wing, B wing, Y wing, E-wing) vs my Tie swarm (Vader, 3 interceptors, Bomber and 7 Tie).

We didn't worry about points just threw on upgrades we fancied. Very messy, made loads of mistakes (forgetting to move ships in the right order, lots of crashing) but it was very good fun.

I'll try to limit him to 125 pets vs 100pts next time but it was a heck of a sight to see all those ships in formation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cameron
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mideg wrote:
but most of the time he made his own decision and those weren't all bad decisions.

Great fun!

This!

My boy is about as good at getting the rules right as I am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.