BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Ashes: Rise of the Phoneixborn Toronto rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

A group of Ashes players have been playing at X Planet in Mississauga on Wednesdays. With luck there will also be a monday night group forming at 401 Games.

We've created a Facebook group to keep track of all the local events.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/536773136481201/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will keep an eye on this thread (I don't use Facebook) Mississauga is likely too far for me, but might be able to make the occasional 401 Games meetup! I've only had a chance to play Ashes once due to lack of opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great idea I will join the Facebook group. My girlfriend and I play, we are both beginners but enjoy the game.

401games on Monday after work would be perfect actually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:
Will keep an eye on this thread (I don't use Facebook) Mississauga is likely too far for me, but might be able to make the occasional 401 Games meetup! I've only had a chance to play Ashes once due to lack of opponents.

Cool. I've only played the pre constructed decks myself. Still trying to get a feel for them. There will be demo/casual play nights at 401 on the 18th and 25th. Hope to see you out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
blackhalo23 wrote:
Great idea I will join the Facebook group. My girlfriend and I play, we are both beginners but enjoy the game.

401games on Monday after work would be perfect actually

Just added you. Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:

Likewise, I might not mind some competitive play now and again, if I got a better grasp on the game as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

Likewise, I might not mind some competitive play now and again, if I got a better grasp on the game as a whole.

It's a catch-22 of competitive play being the best way to get opponents, but not having the opponents to get to point where I feel I can play competitively
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you long life in Toronto. I'm trying to get a regular going too in Ottawa. I will probably pick your brains about what is working best for you one day.

I will start with a few demos than see the interest when the expansions in April arrive to figure what to do next.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:

It's a catch-22 of competitive play being the best way to get opponents, but not having the opponents to get to point where I feel I can play competitively

What part of the city do you live/work? A friend would also like to get something going at Face 2 Face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
darthain wrote:

You should come to 401 on Monday or the 25th. Those are the demo nights. I found I needed to get out an play with more experienced people to fully grasp the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hovercraft2x wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

What part of the city do you live/work? A friend would also like to get something going at Face 2 Face.

Unfortunately I'm fairly far from there (I work and live in Vaughan), so it's not something I could attend regularly... but if it gets going, maybe I'd be able to make it on occasion If it would be on weekends, that would definitely help too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:

Unfortunately I'm fairly far from there (I work and live in Vaughan), so it's not something I could attend regularly... but if it gets going, maybe I'd be able to make it on occasion If it would be on weekends, that would definitely help too.

One of the guys who plays at XPlanet is from Vaughan. I think it's about a 20 Min drive for him. Was thinking about making the trek up to Legends Warehouse once in a while to give him a break from driving as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hovercraft2x wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

One of the guys who plays at XPlanet is from Vaughan. I think it's about a 20 Min drive for him. Was thinking about making the trek up to Legends Warehouse once in a while to give him a break from driving as well.

I guess I'm more west/north than him, because according to google maps I'm at least twice that time away from Face 2 Face (more, really, as I'd likely take the subway ). Legends Warehouse, on the other hand, is about 15 minutes away from me (I've never actually been there... in fact this is the first time I've heard of it!), so if you do plan on making the trip sometime and want more people let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:

I guess I'm more west/north than him, because according to google maps I'm at least twice that time away from Face 2 Face (more, really, as I'd likely take the subway ). Legends Warehouse, on the other hand, is about 15 minutes away from me (I've never actually been there... in fact this is the first time I've heard of it!), so if you do plan on making the trip sometime and want more people let me know

We are playing at X Planet not Face 2 Face, much closer. Yeah, that would be pretty far!

Ok, I'll let you know when I make he trip up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hovercraft2x wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

I am quite near to face 2 face. can make it in 15 on transit, <10 if I feel like paying for parking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
I messaged a guy from Face 2 Face about hosting a night. Couldn't even bother to respond to me. I guess there won't be any events there any time soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Quattro
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:
hovercraft2x wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

Another Vaughanian? Vaughantonian? Either way, I'm 5 mins from Legends and would love to find some players who would like to play Ashes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuckinacave wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

Another Vaughanian? Vaughantonian? Either way, I'm 5 mins from Legends and would love to find some players who would like to play Ashes.

Vaughanese? Vaughantarian? laugh In any case, I'm up for it too... I've never been there before, is there an open area for games, or do you need to reserve/pay for space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Stuckinacave wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

Vaughanese? Vaughantarian?

Vaughanagenarian?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
If you guys start playing on a night other than Monday or Wednesday, i'll try to make it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
So I've just set up the first Ashes tournament for the Toronto area. It will be held at Bento Miso (862 Richmond st. W) on March 5th. We have the space from 1PM to 11PM, so when the tournament finishes we can continue playing until late.

The format will be two-player built decks. Swiss pairings with a potential single elimination for the top players, that depends on the turnout.

There will be a yet to be determined fee. The event will be catered and you will be free to bring your own booze if you like.

Here is the official page:https://www.facebook.com/events/1186046744739628/

but I will post signup info here as well, for those of you who don't use Facebook.

Hope to see you all out on the 5th!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Quattro
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:

Vaughanese? Vaughantarian? laugh In any case, I'm up for it too... I've never been there before, is there an open area for games, or do you need to reserve/pay for space?

A decent area to play in the back, no need to book/pay/reserve (assuming you stay away from MtG night).

hovercraft2x wrote:
If you guys start playing on a night other than Monday or Wednesday, i'll try to make it out!

Well...Tuesdays or Thursdays would probably work best for me, so...

hovercraft2x wrote:
So I've just set up the first Ashes tournament for the Toronto area. It will be held at Bento Miso (862 Richmond st. W) on March 5th. We have the space from 1PM to 11PM, so when the tournament finishes we can continue playing until late.

Interesting...I've only played through with the standard decks, but I'll keep it in mind in case I decide to custom build a deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
Here's the official sign up sheet:

https://guestlistapp.com/events/404265#

The event will be an Ashes tournament plus casual play afterwards. Open to all LCG and Ashes players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuckinacave wrote:

hovercraft2x wrote:

Well...Tuesdays or Thursdays would probably work best for me, so...

If this becomes a regular thing, Thursdays would probably work best for me, but as a one-off or occasional event, Tuesdays work for me as well!

hovercraft2x wrote:

I don't think I'm ready for a tournament, but I guess even if I'm eliminated quickly there would be lots of other people to play with laugh Thanks for organizing! I haven't signed up yet, but I might

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
Canada
flag msg tools
It's a swiss pairings tournament, which means that everyone plays every round and you are matched up against people of your own skill level. Really, it's just an excuse to get out and play.

Plus the tournament will finish up around 6 and we are going to keep playing until 10, so feel free to come by after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.