Subject: Some Questions regarding Positions and Selecting Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I'm new to the game and have some questions. I like Baseball but never seen a full game of it and despite knowing somethings about the game there are many many more I don't know, I live in Portugal and Baseball doesn't exist here

So, I know that there are 9 positions:
the Infield Positions are:
Catcher
1st Base
2nd Base
Shortstop
3rd Base

The Outfield positions are:
Left Field
Center Field
Right Field

if we are selecting players to form a 6 or 9 player team in this game we can't select 2 players from the same position...

And then there's a line in the rulebook that says "A Batter with a position of Infield can be played in any Infield position"

Basically he can replace one of the 5 Positions I listed above for Infields...
The thing is I have the base game only and there are no Infield players (I'm talking about players that have Infield listed for position), are these only extra players?

Assuming I'm right the same is true for the Outfield player regarding the 3 outfield positions, so if I select an Outfield player (there's only 1 in the base game) then I can only chose a combination of 2 players with the Left, Right and center field positions.

There's a player that has his position as "Utility" and I see no mention of this position anywhere in the rulebook... maybe I've missed it.
What positions is he supposed to replace or is this a specific position?

Sorry for the noob questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about all of the above.

I think Mike Mullins has chimed in saying he thinks of Utility as being shorthand for "Utility Infielder", so I'm not sure if that's what the card text is referring to or rather a general utility player than can play anywhere. I haven't seen an official ruling on this, although I definitely could have missed it.

Utility can be played as any position. At least that's how it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One small clarification. The catcher is a bit unusual, fielding wise. You really shouldn't use a utility infielder at catcher..they aren't really considered infielders, but a category of their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
One small clarification. The catcher is a bit unusual, fielding wise. You really shouldn't use a utility infielder at catcher..they aren't really considered infielders, but a category of their own.

I agree. A catcher is a lot like a pitcher. Pretty darn specialized, at least in real world baseball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.