Formula D» Forums » Rules

Subject: Motor Damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Curran
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
One thing that bugs me a little with the rules of Formula D is when a player takes motor damage by rolling a 20 in 5th gear or a 30 in 6th, he has to roll the black die to see if his engine withstood the strain. Ok, that I am completely fine with but why would other drivers in 5th and 6th gear have to roll too? I just don't see the reasoning for this and was curious on other player's thoughts...

Thanks..

I do love the game though, very fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we see it is if im pushing the limits in 5-6 gear the other racers in 5-6th gear also have to in order to keep up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
The way we see it is if im pushing the limits in 5-6 gear the other racers in 5-6th gear also have to in order to keep up.

Correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been asked and answered a couple of times already.

Please take a look at these:
5th and 6th gear, engine damage, who rolls?
Motor Damage affects everyone?
Motor Damage - everyone rolls...? Why?
Motor damage check and result
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berthold wrote:

This. And, if you don't like it, change it! We did. In our league only the roller checks for damage now, but we do it on 19-20 and 29-30. Simple fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the official rule is a bit strange, because the risk of motor damage is being increased by increasing the number of cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Curran
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone... Only had the opportunity to play the game once so far and on initial read, we ignored it. We wanted to check into it a bit more and see what others thought of it...

Since it was our first game, we probably played a bit conservative so didn't run into it much anyway..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The entire game is an abstraction of a Formula 1 race. Those elements (motor damage, weather..etc) are chance elements put in to simulate those events during the entirety of the race boiled down to a very few number of "game-time" laps.

The way we look it is, each turn is a snap shot of each cars relative positions during the race in progress. You could, if you like further boil it down to literal laps with each persons roll. For example if it took roughly 18 rolls of the die to navigate Monaco's track from start to finish. And a real race was 78 laps and you were doing a two lap race. Then that would be around 2.166 laps per dice roll. (36 rolls for a 2 lap race for each driver)

Just something to keep in mind when the abstraction of the rules seems odd. It does actually work pretty well.

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.