Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering picking up a copy of Arcadia Quest. Ive read some of the reviews here and there appears to be a divide on whether the retail game is really worth it, given that it doesn't have all of the Kickstarter heroes. There's some back and forth, but it appears that most seem to think the game works just fine without additional Heroes since they're only two stats and an ability.

Now, I'm the kind of person that doesn't give a damn about minis vs other representative components. I'm totally okay with the cardboard tokens in Imperial Assault vs the miniatures you can buy. However, I do have a few figure packs for that game because they actually come with content that expands the game. It doesn't sound like the minis for Arcadia Quest do much, though. I mean, more heroes might be nice, but not at $10+ a pop.

So I guess my question is, do the additional heroes actually add enough content to the game to justify their price? Or are they only really good just for having another miniature? If the latter, I'll gladly buy just the base game and be happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
The base 12 should do you fine for a while. I would play those and if you decide you want more pick the few that are your favorites you certainly do not need them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've picked up all the retail-available heroes. What it does do is give variety for the players. If you play occasionally you really don't need them. If you play semi-regularly, then having a few more just gives choices when drafting characters and the different powers allows for different strategies.

I'd like to get the Kickstarter heroes, but I also don't need to get them. If the price was more reasonable online, I would consider spending the money.

I think the single packs are a little over-priced but the two two-packs are good deals and I like the characters.

If you pick up the Beyond the Grave you'll also get two more characters and both Inferno and Pets will also have additional characters when they hit the stores later in the year.

You can look at all of their abilities on the Arcadia Quest web site for the currently-available ones and decide if you want to add them in or now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have everything released and have removed 2/3 of the characters from the pile that I hand out to choose from.

I like to paint, and these models are among my favorites. That is the only reason I can think of to collect the guildmaster stuff.

All of the abilities and stats are available from their website, and the base game includes enough models to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Genestealer1969 wrote:
Base 12 are fine. It is all I have to work with and am going on the third try of the basic campaign. Though I did get Nibbles, because who doesn't like a giant troll regenerating rabbit.

Nibbles. Nibbles! Nibbles!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works just fine with the original 12 heroes. That said, new heroes add a lot more than what you give them credit to. The interaction between their hero power and the equipment you pick up during a campaign can make the game feel a lot different. A nibbles with the item that refreshes all your cards but causes a wound + boost cards + 1 strong attack is pretty terrifying. The same combo on another hero isn't quite the same.

I'd pick up a few. There gets a point where you have Hero overload. I'd say 6 more heroes is good if you play the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retail Arcadia Quest is well worth it. I bought it retail, along with 3 extra heroes and Beyond the Grave. A lot of game there

Of course, I'm now an Inferno backer, and can't wait to get all those goodies come June... But you really do get your money's worth buying retail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it. I suppose I'll add it to my collection in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 12 extra heroes now..we draft all 24 heroes then select 3 from the 6 we get. The base game heroes still get chosen most though, although you really have nice heroes from the blisters (yes Nibbles is one of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of the extra KS heroes, and I really enjoy having them. There's no way I would pay the secondary market price for them now. I would proxy them if I didn't have 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the 12 heroes are more than enough. Actually you would need more scenarios or campaigns than new heroes (and, surprinsingly there are very few home made scenarios compared with other games, like descent or zombicide).

The advantage of the 12 heroes of the base game is that you have a good mixture of goods and weak heroes, so, when drafting you could have a good balance. Having said that, I still find spike too strong compared with ther rest and kanga too weak.

If you are no a fanatic about minis, and not too interested in having a big collection, you could just use the same minis and modify its abilities. For example, we found Kanga too weak, so basically we replace her ability with "relentless": If she rolls any crit on a defense roll she may unexhaust one of her cards.

Here in the files section, you could find compilations of all the existing heroes abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that we need more monsters, tiles and scenarios rather than heroes. We need something like SDE's warbands, imo.

Unless you are into mini paintings, I think heroes are not urgent to buy. You can print the abilities from file section, or make your own card using hero generator and play the base hero differently. This is what I do. Frenzy Zazu + Life-stealing Maya + Mimicking Scarlet rock!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
So I guess my question is, do the additional heroes actually add enough content to the game to justify their price?
Absolutely not. They're way too expensive for what they add, and given what you wrote, you can easily just print the new character cards and use a stand-in mini, if you like to give them a test-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, if you don't care about the miniatures as their particular components, print out the cards from the arcadiaquest.com website and substitute miniatures. One of the geeks has also created card overlays of stats and abilities that you can use to not hide the character art, but functionally change the model to another character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Harstead
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon wrote:
I still find spike too strong compared with ther rest and kanga too weak.

This is throwing me off. Spike, in my opinion, is the weakest in the game. He has yet to be chosen by anyone I've played with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevencer wrote:
edugon wrote:

This is throwing me off. Spike, in my opinion, is the weakest in the game. He has yet to be chosen by anyone I've played with.

He's commonly thought of as a tier 1 hero. I think your group needs to give him more of a chance. A spike with lots of defense gear is scary. Add on the amulet of retribution (with original rules) and he's probably broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevencer wrote:
edugon wrote:

I don't know if he is the weakest, but he's definitely not in the top tier of characters. If he had four wounds he'd be more preferable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Sevencer wrote:
edugon wrote:

I don't know if he is the weakest, but he's definitely not in the top tier of characters. If he had four wounds he'd be more preferable.

Spike is definitely scary. Once he gets loaded up, I ignore him entirely unless I have Seth or The Heartless. A fully decked out Spike just walks around killing enemies with his Vengeance when they use their Guard Reactions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bapenrose wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
Sevencer wrote:
edugon wrote:

Spike is definitely scary. Once he gets loaded up, I ignore him entirely unless I have Seth or The Heartless. A fully decked out Spike just walks around killing enemies with his Vengeance when they use their Guard Reactions.

Never had Spike, but I've played Diva with the Amulet of Retribution, and the amount of actions saved as she walked around raining destruction, before or without attacking at all, made her formidable.

What's this about original rules for the amulet? As opposed to what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
bapenrose wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
Sevencer wrote:
edugon wrote:

Never had Spike, but I've played Diva with the Amulet of Retribution, and the amount of actions saved as she walked around raining destruction, before or without attacking at all, made her formidable.

What's this about original rules for the amulet? As opposed to what?

Many people agree the amulet is overpowered in the late stages of the game and leads to lame game play where you just run through all the monsters and they kill themselves.

There are a few modifications that can make the amulet still powerful but less scary.

The first one my group tried was that only critical saves would reflect the damage back. This worked well enough but it might have been too brutal.

The second thing we tried was making the monster reaction to movement optional at the choice of the person to the right of the active player. We enjoyed this more because it kept the amulet powerful without making it too weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.