Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks to the community on being so fantastic in guiding new players through this game. I'm THOROUGHLY enjoying it and this may supplant Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror as my favorite solo games.

A question I was asking myself last night is "Am I being too stubborn?" Let me explain.

When I got my first set of cards, it was small (2x core, The Hunt for Gollum and the first Hobbit Saga expansion). So based on what I had been reading and watching, I decided to make myself a lore/spirit deck with the following heroes:

- Bilbo
- Eowyn
- Dunhere

I really like my deck quite a bit. I've tweaked it here and there, but a good balance of canceling and threat reducing is a fun challenge to counterbalance my lack of overall attack power.

Anyway, here's my record:

- 1 win, 1 loss on Passage through Mirkwood
- 1 win, 6 losses on Journey through the Anduin
- 0 win, 1 loss on Escape from Dol Goldur (not trying that again)
- 1 win, 2 losses on Hunt for Gollum

So lots of losses, but I was determined to win with this trio. I eventually won the beatable solo campaigns.

So then I got the rest of the reprinted first cycle yesterday, excitedly opened up Conflict at the Carrock and went for it with this deck. It was when I turned over that Bee location that had me search for Grimbeorn that I got kind of bummed. He REQUIRES leadership resources to join you. I obviously have none.

So I'm going to go at it again tonight with three copies of Song of Kings in my deck and hope for the best.

Do others approach the game this way, continuing to tweak everything but the heroes despite lots of losses? Or do you pretty quickly grab different heroes to try and win specific scenarios.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I usually am like you. The heroes are the framework of the deck. Some quests require deck tweaking to be successful, but if I have to change my heroes, that's basically a new deck, and I'll build from scratch.

So I rack up a lot of losses, because I always try to take one deck (same heroes, minor tweaking) through all the scenarios I own (except Dol Goldur). I've only succeeded at that once, and it was when Against The Shadow was the latest cycle.

I always play a handful of test games against the first two core scenarios before I start a deck through the other adventures. During the tests, I may change heroes but keep the deck if something isn't working. My benchmark for a potentially successful deck is a solid (no dead heroes) win against Journey Down the Anduin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Horse
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still get by in the quest even without leadership or song of kings.

There are 3 of this location, Oak-Wood Grove:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
Do others approach the game this way, continuing to tweak everything but the heroes despite lots of losses? Or do you pretty quickly grab different heroes to try and win specific scenarios.

Depends very much on the deck, some decks are built around a specific heroes ability, some are not. If not, I often swap heroes for similar heroes. I had a ranger deck that started out with Beravor, Tactics Aragorn and Lore Faramir, but ended up a good deck with Beravor, Lore Aragorn and Legolas, while most of the deck stayed the same.

Regarding CatC: Grimbeorn is good, but not good enough to include Song of Kings for IMO. Sure, a Leadership deck has a slightly better chance at this, but Frodo with some readying and threat reduction, coupled with a few strong attackers gets you very far. I've beaten this quest around 5 times (out of 20-ish plays total) and used Grimbeorn only once in the winning games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skihorse4848 wrote:
You can still get by in the quest even without leadership or song of kings.

There are 3 of this location, Oak-Wood Grove:

NICE

I didn't get very far in my first game. Bilbo got sacked on the second turn and then I got that stupid scared horse card, threat was at 36 before you know it and Eowyn/Dunhere were Troll food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwjmeijer wrote:
Nez477 wrote:

Depends very much on the deck, some decks are built around a specific heroes ability, some are not. If not, I often swap heroes for similar heroes. I had a ranger deck that started out with Beravor, Tactics Aragorn and Lore Faramir, but ended up a good deck with Beravor, Lore Aragorn and Legolas, while most of the deck stayed the same.

Regarding CatC: Grimbeorn is good, but not good enough to include Song of Kings for IMO. Sure, a Leadership deck has a slightly better chance at this, but Frodo with some readying and threat reduction, coupled with a few strong attackers gets you very far. I've beaten this quest around 5 times (out of 20-ish plays total) and used Grimbeorn only once in the winning games.

I suppose threat reduction + Dunhere/Gandalf could potentially work as well. Would take a while though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few points.

This quest is very hard for a solo player, even moreso someone that isn't running any tactics or leadership. The first block will work an awful lot better if you build a trisphere deck.

There is however a strategic point though. The first stage of the quest should only be completed when you feel ready to take on the trolls. Think of each quest as a puzzle. Until the trolls turn up, this quest is basically a stroll in the countryside. Take advantage of that and ramp up your forces.

As far as deckbuilding is concerned, my advice is to be as flexible and experimental as possible whilst you are starting out so that you can build your experience and learn the different spheres. TBH, given your current available cardpool, I'm not even sure you can make a lore/spirit deck that can handle this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I pretty much build a deck from scratch for almost every scenario, and I play a lot solo style which seems to make this even more necessary than 2 player. It's a lot to expect out of the same 3 heroes to always be able to deal with a scenario's special "gimmick" as well as the normal duties of questing and attacking/defending.

Everyone approaches the game differently, but for me I really enjoy building decks and trying out a variety of heroes. Otherwise they are just sitting in the box not doing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to accept the game has specific mechanics and decide to either play with them or against them.

Solo decks are the hardest way to go. As you've seen, walking "blind" into an adventure can leave you literally unable to win. E. G. A deck without questing vs a high questing adventure. If you value being "surprised" over being actually able to finish, then that is the risk you take. Similarly with keeping the same heroes/deck or not using later cards in earlier quests throughout a campaign. Being true to the "story" vs being able to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice question! I personally like building from a single idea. Sometimes that's "these specific heroes" but sometimes it's "I wonder how I can make a trap deck" or "Hidden Cache seems cool. How can I use that to maximum effect?"

Even if I've settled on heroes, I think one compromise that doesn't feel bad to me is changing one of the three. That way, the majority of the heroes are still the same, but the deck could take on a new flavor to adjust to the needs of the quest. It's like putting someone on the bench for a bit, but the overall team keeps playing.

My $0.02. I enjoyed reading other answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I pretty much build a deck from scratch for almost every scenario, and I play a lot solo style which seems to make this even more necessary than 2 player. It's a lot to expect out of the same 3 heroes to always be able to deal with a scenario's special "gimmick" as well as the normal duties of questing and attacking/defending.

Everyone approaches the game differently, but for me I really enjoy building decks and trying out a variety of heroes. Otherwise they are just sitting in the box not doing anything.

I'll echo this point, it expands on what I said above about learning the game through variety, and as Sam says, it makes better use of your collection.

Once you've developed a decent understanding of the game, then you can afford to be more "stubborn". I find myself getting pulled in by a card or an expansion and wanting to build something around it to see if it works. I'll then pilot that deck against a range of scenarios to see how it performs. It takes a while to get to that point though.

Keep plugging away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stair
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
- Bilbo
- Eowyn
- Dunhere

I really like my deck quite a bit. I've tweaked it here and there, but a good balance of canceling and threat reducing is a fun challenge to counterbalance my lack of overall attack power.

Dunhere is boss after you equip him w/ 3x Dunedain Mark. The Trolls never have to leave the staging area alive. Are you packing Rivendell Minstrels to tutor your Song(s)?

For me, part of the fun is experimenting w/ the cards so I usually switch heroes to test new tricks. I artificially restrict my card pool while playing the quests in sequence, so this playstyle helps keep my options fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Brandt
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:

When I first started playing I tried to stick with the same combination and was resistant to change. It didn't take long before new scenarios changed my stance Have you played Rhosgobel yet?

Now that I'm farther into the cycles I attempt a quest with whatever I am interested in on that day. If the quest stomps me then I'll reference my small library of decklists for something that might be a good foil and tweak that.

You can win CatC without the Grimbeorn hero, but he is nice to get if you can get him. If you really value getting him then the most reliable method is to use a leadership hero. Looking back at my notes the first time I got through CatC was with Gloin, Bilbo, and Theodred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Merrill
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm stubborn, like you. I've played solo through all the scenarios of the first two cycles (except Escape from Dol Guldur) with the same three heroes (Elrond, Galadriel, and Glorfindel) and a deck that has received minor tweaks, depending on the scenario. My wife has played with her same three heroes (Beregond, Legolas, and Sam) through one and a half cycles of 2-player games. It is completely doable.

I will admit that my player card pool, while not complete, is larger than yours, so I have fleshed out the archetypes I am using.

As was said, each scenario is a puzzle and only a few require very specific deck requirements to succeed. Journey to Rhosgobel, I'm looking at you.angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still using the same hero lineup in two different decks (from Beorn's Path) that I started with, having played through Mirkwood, Khazad-Dum, Numeranor, Isengard, and the Hobbit Saga. I anticipate running the same through Angmar and LOTR saga, though I don't think Thalin will be worth much against the stupid toughness Uruk-Hai.

I counter cards that work against my heroes (e.g. The Master's Malice -- if you aren't monosphere, kill the heroes and allies of one sphere) mostly by losing, so I don't know that stubbornness is good, but I hate to break up a run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.