Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To brake the game you need to:
1) play all your fighting cards;
2) have two Strategy (2x exchange) or one Strategy and one Mimicry (1x copy) cards, one of the card must not be activated yet;
3) have an Eating (+2 life) and a Realization (1x destroy).
With this combo you first draw and play all aging cards, then destroy all of them (and destroy all other uwanted cards, such as Distracted, Week, Focused) and finally restore your health to maximum.
I had done this trick today when fighting in yelow phase. The rest of the game was dull "walk in the park". Final score (at level 3): 169
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Nelud wrote:
2) have two Strategy (2x exchange) or one Strategy and one Mimicry (1x copy) cards, one of the card must not be activated yet;
With this combo you first draw and play all aging cards, then destroy all of them (and destroy all other uwanted cards, such as Distracted, Week, Focused) and finally restore your health to maximum.
I had done this trick today when fighting in yelow phase. The rest of the game was dull "walk in the park". Final score (at level 3): 169

Calling it broken is rather odd when you're still playing at the learning levels, don't you think? If you want a challenge, play it the way the designer sugggests here: Re: Game play stats, emerging strategies, card ability ratings and even a short review, what more do you want?. (That's how I play, and I'm pretty sure it isn't broken.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
It can't be broken, I just bought it! I was super careful and didn't drop it or anything. How did it break?!?!?

Seriously, it cracks me up when people say popular games are "broken." If a lot of people are playing it and enjoying it, it doesn't seem very likely that it's broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
It can't be broken, I just bought it! I was super careful and didn't drop it or anything. How did it break?!?!?

Seriously, it cracks me up when people say popular games are "broken." If a lot of people are playing it and enjoying it, it doesn't seem very likely that it's broken.

This.

And, Mr. Skutsch, you have the honor of claiming my very first "this" on the internets. Ever. Congrats! I saw your comment and it was literally the words out of my mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwintner wrote:
skutsch wrote:

This.

And, Mr. Skutsch, you have the honor of claiming my very first "this" on the internets. Ever. Congrats! I saw your comment and it was literally the words out of my mouth.

Well thank you sir! I am honored.

(And I really did just buy the game, so I certainly hope it's not broken! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~~~Crazy Adam~~~ ~~~Mad Ayzarc~~~
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Ha! I was actually expecting to come to this thread and see a picture of somebody who accidentally stepped on their box of Friday, and giving the picture a bit of a click-bait title. I didn't actually expect this thread to be of a real concern!

Edit: which isn't to say the OT's concerns aren't valid. Perhaps there is an undiscovered (until today) unbreakable combo in the basic game. Would be worth trying by someone else just to see if it's possible/impossible. Heck- that person might even be me! (If I find the time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is definitely broken, but it is a different defect. Out of 6 games I have won only once. I think the difficulty setting is locked on very hard and I cannot find the pin to unlock it?

If anyone has a cheat code for infinite life it would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Edit: which isn't to say the OT's concerns aren't valid. Perhaps there is an undiscovered (until today) unbreakable combo in the basic game. Would be worth trying by someone else just to see if it's possible/impossible. Heck- that person might even be me! (If I find the time.)

I'm guessing you haven't played, or haven't played a lot. There are actually all sorts of killer combos possible; the trick is in living long enough and getting the cards you need to make them happen. There's actually a bit more to it than that; you also have to keep your life at safe levels and get rid of the aging cards that keep appearing as you play. Lot of balls in the air.

The O.P. mentioned that he's playing at level 3, which means he was starting with 20 life in hand + 2 in reserve. At level 4 (about which the rules say "this is the real game") you have to start with 18 life in hand, and that makes getting to such positions significantly more difficult.

If you find that less difficult than you'd like, there's level 5, as described by the designer in the link I provided, where you start with 16 (or fewer!) life in hand. I guarantee that however much you play and however good you may become, you'll have no difficulty finding a starting life level where the game breaks you.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
. There are actually all sorts of killer combos possible; the trick is in living long enough and getting the cards you need to make them happen.

This is, essentially, my response to the OP. Even if there is a combo that "breaks" the game, there is no guarantee you will be able to set up the combo. The base set of Ascension has an infinite turns combo, but the right cards have to come up at the right time, both in the center deck and your deck; it takes both a lot of luck and a lot of work to set it up. One highly improbable setup does not break the entire game. If you can provide an algorithm to me explaining how you can reliably create the deck described at level four, then I will accept your claim that the game is broken. But one outlier does not justify such a claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Sphere wrote:
. There are actually all sorts of killer combos possible; the trick is in living long enough and getting the cards you need to make them happen.

This is, essentially, my response to the OP. Even if there is a combo that "breaks" the game, there is no guarantee you will be able to set up the combo. The base set of Ascension has an infinite turns combo, but the right cards have to come up at the right time, both in the center deck and your deck; it takes both a lot of luck and a lot of work to set it up. One highly improbable setup does not break the entire game. If you can provide an algorithm to me explaining how you can reliably create the deck described at level four, then I will accept your claim that the game is broken. But one outlier does not justify such a claim.

Yah, I love that Ascension combo. But I hardly ever manage to achieve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Sphere wrote:

It used to be that you had to have the base game and first expansion of asension to get the infinite combo. Did they change the card list in the base set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nelud wrote:

Are you claiming that you can reliably & consistently do this each time you play?

If so, I'm skeptical.

If not, I don't see how the ability to occasionally win big makes a game "broken".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nelud wrote:

Agreed. But it is not easy to set this up, since the right cards have to come up for this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now we have a thread titled 'Definitely Broken' on Friday's page.

Of course fans of the game know it's not broken, and you guys definitely pointed out what I thought too, that there are combos that are great, it's just putting them together and staying alive that's the trick.

When I first check out a game, this would be one of the first threads I investigate, to see if there is any merit to the 'broken' claim. So, it sort of is the duty of the fans to contest the broken claim if they think it's not true.

OP...like Russ said..can you do it every time? That would be the trick. Let us know, you could be on to something. Go into a little more detail, I found it a little hard to follow.

By the way, the game breaks me most of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain to me how the "game breaking" combo actually works? Either I've not understood it or I am playing the game wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Can someone explain to me how the "game breaking" combo actually works? Either I've not understood it or I am playing the game wrong...

That's exactly what I was wondering too. How do you get those cards in that combo each game? Am I playing it wrong too? I agree with a poster above that said the game is "broken" only because it frustrates me that I can't win often at all. cry Please share some more of your wisdom so that I have at least a fighting chance. And yes, I am still playing with the starting 20 lives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Are you claiming that you can reliably & consistently do this each time you play?

If so, I'm skeptical.

If not, I don't see how the ability to occasionally win big makes a game "broken".

No, not constantly. I am relatively new to this game. I have played only 9 games. I discovered this combo when fighting the pirate "Fight against all remaining hazard". I had many undefeated hazards, so I had many free draws. This was may 8th game. In my last (9th) game at some point I realized, that all prerequisites was met: I had all needed cards, about 10 life points, and about 10 cards left in my deck+discard.
So may be I will not manage to do the same in every future game. But the problem is that when this combo coming up the rest of the game have no fun at all. In the last game I knew that in EVERY next fight I can do the thick again (simply by drawing all cards for lives). I ended up in drawing 2 hazard cards and placing 1 in Robinson deck without fight every my turn. I did this only to figure out last score. I fought two pirates normally to check myself. But this was also too easy and boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nelud wrote:
russ wrote:

If so, I'm skeptical.

No, not constantly. I am relatively new to this game. I have played only 9 games. I discovered this combo when fighting the pirate "Fight against all remaining hazard". I had many undefeated hazards, so I had many free draws. This was may 8th game. In my last (9th) game at some point I realized, that all prerequisites was met: I had all needed cards, about 10 life points, and about 10 cards left in my deck+discard.
So may be I will not manage to do the same in every future game. But the problem is that when this combo coming up the rest of the game have no fun at all. In the last game I knew that in EVERY next fight I can do the thick again (simply by drawing all cards for lives). I ended up in drawing 2 hazard cards and placing 1 in Robinson deck without fight every my turn. I did this only to figure out last score.

Hmm, so it sounds like you're saying that the game is "broken" because you can reach a state where it's very clear that you're going to win, and so playing out the remaining turns is anti-climactic?

If so, then very many games (including classics like Chess and Go) are "broken".

Or else I'm still not understanding what you mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Sphere and David, I'll try to achieve this at higher levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:

Activate Strategy (2x exchange) on Eating(+2 life) first. The Eating card will be reshuffled with one aging card and you will draw one of the two. Then use the second "exchange" effect of the Strategy: discard another Strategy and draw second card from the deck. After that activate Eating - gain 2 life, and draw 2 cards for life. To draw you must start with shuffling discard (that consists of single Strategy card) with new aging card, then draw 2 cards. Notice that these cards will be fresh (can be activated again). So you come to the same state from which you started: empty deck and discard pile and fresh Strategy card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
The base set of Ascension has an infinite turns combo, but the right cards have to come up at the right time, both in the center deck and your deck; it takes both a lot of luck and a lot of work to set it up.

It used to be that you had to have the base game and first expansion of asension to get the infinite combo. Did they change the card list in the base set?

No. I have those two sets mixed together and don't always remember which cards come from which set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen C
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this strategy yesterday I found myself in a position to try it today in a level 4 game and it led to my highest ever score of 156 points.

Having said that by the time I found myself in a position to use it I had effectively already defeated the 2nd pirate, and only effect was to massage up my point score by adding life tokens - most of the game I had between zero and 2 life tokens available and no way was I going to be able to risk pushing on through my deck to try to set up the exchange/copy/destroy/2 life/all other Robinson cards played combo. May make my high scores feel a little cheaper, but don't think the game is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This strategy was already dicussed here:
http://bgg.cc/thread/1479404/questions-about-game-scored-149...

It is possible to set this up in the green/yellow stage, and then it is a piece of cake, agreed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.