Popular Tags: [View All]
Dirk Sietze
Netherlands
Sassenheim
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game of Raiders tonignt. Awesome game, want to play again!!!

When will the expansion for Raiders hit Kickstarter and is there an option to add-on the other trilogy/ quatrology? (Rune-Saga) games during this Kickstarter?

Shem: Can you share any spoilers on what the expansion will be about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in what you would put in an expansion. The game is pretty good as it is. The only complaint my group have had so far is you can be at the mercy of the cards you and others get.

One of the other players was not too happy after playing 2 games he got no crew members the could help him gather resources. In the early game they help a lot. Thought that is probably one of the reasons people get 5 cards and keep 3 mechanic.

End game, I have been on both ends of someone putting down a merchant or 2. Though I can now see a strategy of stopping that. If you get the card that allows you to swap hands with the person hording all the cows and is waiting for the final round to put down the merchant.

Thinking more about an expansion, more cards please and more heroes would be nice, as there is only 3 and the game can got to 4 players.

You could make a expansion board with more places to raid. LOL you could make that a separate smaller new board, and make it look like Ireland. With new resource gathering locations much like the settlements the Vikings created there (as many of the main coastal cities if Ireland were founded by Vikings, or made them trade hubs). But you need to raid there before a settlement is active. And/or local noble cards you must overcome to raid a location or area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done some testing on an expansion, but still exploring ideas. The main theme that seems to stick is that of Mercenaries. So players send (discard) cards from their hand to fight as mercenaries for the Byzantines, Franks, Saxons, etc. Their military strength acts as a sort of currency. For example the Byzantines might be asking for 6 strength worth of mercenaries (you get the idea?)

Other things I'm exploring are siege weapons and secret tiles that are placed on all raiding spots (under the plunder). When raided, these would reveal certain events, actions, whatever.

Runesaga and Explorers come to Kickstarter this Feb. Runesaga will include 16 more cards for Raiders - including a fourth hero and a nice counter-card to the Merchant/Trader strategy. As well as a bunch of other Townsfolk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
I have done some testing on an expansion, but still exploring ideas. The main theme that seems to stick is that of Mercenaries. So players send (discard) cards from their hand to fight as mercenaries for the Byzantines, Franks, Saxons, etc.

So no Ireland cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:

Runesaga and Explorers come to Kickstarter this Feb. Runesaga will include 16 more cards for Raiders - including a fourth hero and a nice counter-card to the Merchant/Trader strategy. As well as a bunch of other Townsfolk.

Roll on February!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
I have done some testing on an expansion, but still exploring ideas. The main theme that seems to stick is that of Mercenaries. So players send (discard) cards from their hand to fight as mercenaries for the Byzantines, Franks, Saxons, etc. Their military strength acts as a sort of currency. For example the Byzantines might be asking for 6 strength worth of mercenaries (you get the idea?)

This sounds good. Lots of potential here.

shem84 wrote:
Other things I'm exploring are siege weapons and secret tiles that are placed on all raiding spots (under the plunder). When raided, these would reveal certain events, actions, whatever.

Please don't do this. Hidden elements when raiding? That would introduce a lot of unnecessary luck.

shem84 wrote:

Very cool. I'll be looking for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
shem84 wrote:

Please don't do this. Hidden elements when raiding? That would introduce a lot of unnecessary luck.

Hmmm... The surprise tiles for each spot was the idea I was most excited about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrranch wrote:
Quote:
shem84 wrote:

Hmmm... The surprise tiles for each spot was the idea I was most excited about.

Heh. Would you also like to randomly pull out your plunder after you raid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Richard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
What matters in life is not the triumph nor the struggle but the triumph by tiebreaker.
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
I have done some testing on an expansion, but still exploring ideas. The main theme that seems to stick is that of Mercenaries. So players send (discard) cards from their hand to fight as mercenaries for the Byzantines, Franks, Saxons, etc. Their military strength acts as a sort of currency. For example the Byzantines might be asking for 6 strength worth of mercenaries (you get the idea?).

You know those dice, I now think of them as unreliable mercenaries or restless peasants I pay gold or extra food to come fight for me. Thematically, I can't see why it couldn't go both ways, Vikings serving another cause getting compensation for it... because quite frankly, Treasury doesn't do the job.

As theflan085 mentioned, it's not a pleasant experience seeing everyone snowball ahead because you're stuck with bad cards that produce less. The "Town Hall" powers are pretty uneven and few help solve the ongoing problem of recruiting an efficient crew. Discarding useless cards to the Treasury for an action will get you equal or less than going to the silversmith without discarding. A jeweler aboard and you'll even get 2 times the silver without discarding. Same thing with the Mill where you get gold in half a turn what takes you a full one at the Treasury. I already houseruled a draft at the beginning of my games and will try playing the next with the -or- on the Treasury as a -or/and- to make up for the time one looses at the Gate House, until I can try this expansion that could fix the loser's seat problem with added quests.

shem84 wrote:

Another interesting idea, those tiles could shake the deterministic momentum of the game, add flavor or story driven elements, subtil winner bashing etc.

shem84 wrote:

And it's almost February!
Plz excuse my ignorance but what is a Merchant/Trader strategy? I can see a Merchant-Forager combo, a Trader-Sage combo, a Recruiter-Berserker combo etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:

shem84 wrote:

I'm in agreement with David. Not sure Raiders needs more luck based elements.

Of course, if it is modular expansions then I would probably add the extra townsfolks card and maybe some of the other new stuff, but leave out the hidden tiles

Basically, I'd hope the hidden tiles weren't a mandatory new thing but instead something you can optionally add
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.