Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've been getting into this game more recently, and enjoying the Grey Company podcast and the Tale of the Cards blog. I've started seeing deckbuilding as an exciting challenge instead of a chore, and I'm making some concessions to my traditional "theme or bust" approach. After all, the entire story of Lord of the Rings is a story of unlikely allies, so dropping Master of the Forge into a Hobbit isn't that tough to justify thematically.

But unfortunately, one of the most crucial, critical and fundamental cards in the whole game is also one of the most thematically jarring and unforgivable.

Unless you attach this card to Denethor, which you almost never will, this two-cost attachment severely alters the narrative and world of Middle-Earth. And what's even crazier is that it can be played on any hero. It doesn't require Gondor, it's grants it!

Aragorn can be Steward of Gondor.
Pippin can be Steward of Gondor.
Bombur can be Steward of Gondor.

Moreover, the magnitude of that title is completely at odds with a 2-cost attachment. If you're playing the "Steward's Fear" scenario, here's the narrative you're presented with:

Quote:
In the privacy of the Steward’s inner chambers, Denethor asks the heroes a delicate favor. He fears that a conspiracy has taken root within the walls of Minas Tirith: a cabal under Mordor’s bidding that seeks to usurp the stewardship and deliver Gondor to Sauron. He asks that the heroes discover the truth of this matter...

Shouldn't Denethor be more concerned that YOU will usurp the stewardship, since you're running three copies in your deck?

Anyway, I created 5 different trait-themed "Agent" attachments to replace Steward of Gondor. Thematically, the idea is that the hero with an "agent" attachment has the support of a specific region of Middle-Earth, and functions on their behalf. Forgive my lack of polish--I am not a photoshop whiz:

Naturally, I didn't intend to be able to play any of these AND Steward of Gondor. I almost added that as rules text ("This card counts as a copy of Steward of Gondor") but I figured, it's not like this card is "official" anyway, so why clutter the template.

Also, not that each of these is more limiting than Steward of Gondor (it doesn't grant the trait, it requires it). This was intentional. If I win a game using "Agent of the North" instead of "Steward of Gondor," I can be satisfied that I didn't get any extra help: I would have won if I'd included Steward of Gondor instead (unless there's some scenarios with "Gondor hate" that I'm not aware of).

I'm going to make some proxies of these tonight, so I can feel free to call upon the insane functionality of Steward of Gondor without having those weird moments of "Wait, how did Legolas join the line of Stewards?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it as having the backing/support of the steward rather than actually being the steward (despite the title keyword), so it doesn't really bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:
I take it as having the backing/support of the steward rather than actually being the steward (despite the title keyword), so it doesn't really bother me.

Agreed. What mainly bothers me about Steward these days is that when I build a pair of decks to play together Steward can only be in one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
These days you can build two decks and leave steward out of both (in the right builds). But I suspect you intend that a bit tongue in cheek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:

Ditto....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Just rename the card "Stew of Gondor" and it all makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's lots of good alternatives to steward of Gondor these days. Neither my silvan nor hobbit deck run it. My Gondor and Aragorn decks do. I could happily build a dunedain or dwarf deck without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:

That's how I've interpreted it in the past (despite the title keyword). I wish the card was actually called "Support of Gondor." It would make perfect sense then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea -

Further to the concept? - "You may have only one type of "agent" card in the deck?

What think ye?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notrub wrote:
Interesting idea -

Further to the concept? - "You may have only one type of "agent" card in the deck?

What think ye?

That's certainly how I'll play them--it would be insane to effectively have 5 different versions of Steward of Gondor in play at the same time. But since I only planned to use them for my own games, I wasn't too rigorously in spelling out the restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amusingly, I appreciate the "Attached character gains the Gondor trait" an awful lot for Steward of Gondor - getting stronger Gondorian Shields and other Gondor synergy is pretty cool!

Perhaps it's more balanced and thematic to make these "Agent" cards restricted to a trait instead of granting one, but I quite like the trait-granting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
Amusingly, I appreciate the "Attached character gains the Gondor trait" an awful lot for Steward of Gondor - getting stronger Gondorian Shields and other Gondor synergy is pretty cool!

Perhaps it's more balanced and thematic to make these "Agent" cards restricted to a trait instead of granting one, but I quite like the trait-granting.

Yeah. I'm sure when I'm up against a really brutal scenario, and Gondorian Shield would make the difference, I'll bust out the old Steward. My old Eagles deck featured Legolas the Steward of Gondor so he could get the bonus from the "For Gondor!" event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Loading... 76%
badge
I am Jackson, hear me roar! *meow*
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game in a bit, but SoG always felt overpowered to me... We would do well/win when we had it in play and get crushed when we did not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.