Clint Kofoed
United States
Rexburg
IDAHO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mage Wars: Conquest of Kumanjaro – Spell Tome Expansion
I know I'm a bit late to the Mage Wars scene here. Just getting started in the game. After buying a few of the expansions plus the core set I ran into
a card I'm having a hard time understanding. The Dwarf Panzergarde. I'm not sure how to use his ability with block. His defense already is a 9 with rolling a D12 dice. Then to give you the option of adding 3 more when guarding? My understanding with defense is that you have to roll the 9 with the D12 in order to fully dodge or miss the incoming attack. With that being the case why in the world would you want to make things harder for you by increasing it from 9 to having to roll a perfect 12 on a D12 to have your opponent miss?
Any help in clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Clint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The +3 is to your roll, not the target - it makes it significantly easier - 75% better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Kofoed
United States
Rexburg
IDAHO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm honored to have you comment Jonathan. I've read many of your posts over the last couple months and I must say your a true champion to Mage Wars. Thanks for responding. Ok I apologize if I'm a bit dense here. So the +3 is that rolling the D12 with 3 red dice? Maybe a short example of it being triggered in play with the effect taking place would help illustrate it.
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You add 3 to the value of the roll on the d12. Say you roll a 6, then you add 3 so the modified value is 9. Then check this against the value required to trigger the defense (on the card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just confirming that both of the previous responses are correct. The target number of 9 stays the same. You're adding +3 to your d12 die roll to try and hit that target. This means that his ability allows the defense to work when you roll a 6+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Kofoed
United States
Rexburg
IDAHO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh ok that makes much more sense! Thank you for the clarification. I was way off in my thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.