Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I hope you are well. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I really tried to find a thread with this info but no success.

If I have got on my crush pad a red grape with a value of 9, can I make red wine for a lower value even if I have medium and large cellar available?

Another example is if I can make a blush wine with value of 8 by combining a 6 white grape and a 4 red grape? Obviously I would be using more grapes than required but I'm just not sure if I can do that.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibrahim: You can do that if the 9-value blush spot is already taken by another token. In that case, you would make an 8-value blush wine token instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Ibrahim: You can do that if the 9-value blush spot is already taken by another token. In that case, you would make an 8-value blush wine token instead.

Hey Jamey,

Thanks for taking the time to reply this. So, you can never decide to use a high-value grape to convert it to a lower-value wine? you always have to make wine for the specific grape's value?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to? It's better to put off devaluing the grapes/wine as long as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris' question/point is a good one. I can't think of any incentive to deliberately devalue your wine.

Remember, you can always overspend when filling a wine order -- so if you need an 8 Blush, either an 8 or 9 Blush token will be acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Why would you want to? It's better to put off devaluing the grapes/wine as long as you can.

I'm not sure, perhaps I'm just confused as today was my first play ever. So my other question is similar but it's in regards to orders.

If an order requires a red wine with value of 5 and white wine with value of 3 for example, can I cover the order if I have got those wines with higher value? I guess you can as the rulebook says "at least".

Thanks for the help guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You can fill the order with a higher-value wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:

Ok thanks for the help guys! I'm sorry about the silly questions! modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexanauta wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

Ok thanks for the help guys! I'm sorry about the silly questions! modest

You asked no silly questions, and I assure you everyone was happy to answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann 17
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Can you make Sparkling wine per the visit card (higher value wine) "even though you don't have the large cellar"? Or do you have to have the large cellar regardless to make sparkling wines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnfull wrote:
Can you make Sparkling wine per the visit card (higher value wine) "even though you don't have the large cellar"? Or do you have to have the large cellar regardless to make sparkling wines?

You always need a big enough cellar to hold the wine value in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann 17
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
The card states you can regardless of the cellar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann 17
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
The card I am referring to is "Zymologist" it states:
Make up to 2(wine) of value 4 or greater, even if you haven't upgraded your cellar.

Basically the rules states you can only make blush wines if you have at least a medium cellar and Sparkling wines if you have the large cellar. Does this card forgo the needing the Large cellar to make a sparkling wine?

The new rules faq state: Thus, if you use this card to make a 5-value red token, you may place it on the 5-value space even if you don't have the medium cellar. However, for the token to age any further you must have the correct cellar size.

So, the situation was this: player had a medium cellar, but NOT a large cellar however, using this card is she able to make a sparkling wine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnfull wrote:
Make up to 2(wine) of value 4 or greater, even if you haven't upgraded your cellar.

Basically the rules states you can only make blush wines if you have at least a medium cellar and Sparkling wines if you have the large cellar. Does this card forgo the needing the Large cellar to make a sparkling wine?

The new rules faq state: Thus, if you use this card to make a 5-value red token, you may place it on the 5-value space even if you don't have the medium cellar. However, for the token to age any further you must have the correct cellar size.

So, the situation was this: player had a medium cellar, but NOT a large cellar however, using this card is she able to make a sparkling wine?

Yes, you can use the Zymologist to make a sparkling wine.

Also, there has been a clarification. Your wine will age within the current cellar level, even if the cellar has not been built, but will not age to the next level. So a 5-value wine will age to 6 (or 7 to 8 to 9), but 6 will not age to 7 until you build the large cellar (after having built the medium).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnfull wrote:

Ah, my apologies then. I haven't played with EE cards so I haven't seen that one before. Looks like EricHogue has it right:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1525965/zymologist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.