Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if both players fulfil conditions for the same objective during the same phase (i.e., during shipping, the condition to have 5+ VP)?

Do we use the "lowest starting world number" rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 3:

During a round, check each objective at the end of the
listed phases (or as indicated during a step). If its condition has been
met, give the player(s) who achieved it the listed number of Talent
counters from the supply, worker side face up, and flip the objective
tile face down to show it has been claimed and is no longer available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. I've missed the additional "s". It wouldn't hurt to have "all" before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to have "all" before that.

Actually, it would, because the sentence would be ungrammatical in the singular case: "give all the player who achieved it the listed number of Talent counters."

The Chicago Manual of Style on their blog once said:

Quote:
A term ending in ‘(s)’ is both plural and singular. If you must use such a device (and it can be a useful shorthand), you have to be prepared to adjust the surrounding context as necessary: for example, ‘the award(s) is (are) accounted for.’ A parenthetical plural verb must correspond to the parenthetical ending.

So, in this case, it would have to be "give (all) the player(s) who achieved it", which is pretty disruptive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're picking grammatical nits here's how I'd word it!

During a round, check each objective at the end of the listed phases (or as indicated during a step). For each player who meets the stated condition give that player the listed number of Talent counters from the supply, worker side face up, and flip the objective tile face down to show it has been claimed and is no longer available.

I like rules written as procedures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

During a round, check each objective at the end of the listed phases (or as indicated during a step). For each player who meets the stated condition give that player the listed number of Talent counters from the supply, worker side face up, and flip the objective tile face down to show it has been claimed and is no longer available.

That seems wrong because you would flip it down at the first opportunity, before anyone achieves the goal.

Just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

During a round, check each objective at the end of the listed phases (or as indicated during a step). For each player who meets the stated condition give that player the listed number of Talent counters from the supply, worker side face up.

If an objective tile has been awarded to at least one player flip it face down to show it has been claimed and is no longer available.

That seems wrong because you would flip it down at the first opportunity, before anyone achieves the goal.

Just saying.

Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Your wording, while reasonable, does not actually pick any grammatical nits.

Quote:

I like rules written as procedures.

The reason I rejected this approach is that it makes the most common use case (when a single player achieves the objective) unnecessarily complex.

If it was more common to have multiple players reach the same objective in repeated games, I would agree with your wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet the wording in rule book was enough to confuse me. Since usually goals are "who gets it first", the assumption lingers and creates doubt. Yes, nothing really justifies not reading correctly, but in such cases, I would just add a clarifying note below.

"Note: remember that this means more than one player can claim a goal at the same time."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.