Snow Tails» Forums » General

Subject: This verses Rush n Crush & Formula D as a 2 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was looking at purchasing Snow Tails, but the latest re-print seems rather a steep price for what you get at £43 from my FLGS here in the UK. I believe the last version was around £30 which seems a lot more reasonable.

A friend of mine that owns the last version (the one I played) agrees, & recommended looking at Rush n Crush as a different purchase. However, I also spotted Formula D as another.

Not really investigated the other 2 much yet, but wondered what other people's thoughts were?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather try get a copy of Mush! Mush!: Snow Tails 2, the improved and better looking version of Snow Tails. Only available used, though.

Snow Tails and Formula D are both good, but Formula is longer and more luck dependant. Don't know the third one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure Formula D is worth getting for 2p (perhaps if you each played multiple cars). We ended up selling Formula D and keeping Formula De Mini when we want a dice romp around the track. Of course, if you're looking to get different tracks, that might make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love Snow Tails! BUT...

...it's not anywhere near as good as a two-player: it's just too easy to get around various obstacles in your path, including other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to say I don't like any of these three 2-player. Just not enough "action" on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallyman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:
I'd rather try get a copy of Mush! Mush!: Snow Tails 2, the improved and better looking version of Snow Tails. Only available used, though.

Snow Tails and Formula D are both good, but Formula is longer and more luck dependant. Don't know the third one.

I don't think Mush Mush is worth the $100.00 USD vs the $64.00 for Snow Tails. Now I wish they had made the map sheet available separately as that has a lot of cool possibilities. Mush Mush is basically the same game (with a few changes mentioned in a post two spots below) and with the addition of the four building and their special perks for campaign gaming.

I do like the building rules for longer games and campaigns, but Personally I thought the buildings were a bit to childish looking. Some thing a second grader had to make in his 5th hour art class. For the cost of the game I would have expected a more professional product.

I never picked up Formula D, But have Formula De and just love it. But as a two player game it is not the best. Becomes too predictable.

Just my thoughts,
Jim P cool

EDIT: denoted by red text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pap Qaq
United States
Park City
Utah
flag msg tools
I haven't played Rush n Crush so can't comment.

I think Snow Tails is the best race game I've seen. It is easy to understand but there is a lot of subtle strategy and control in the card play. Managing your sled, managing your hand and ensuring good card flow is tricky and very satisfying when done well. Although I think this game is better with more it's just fine with 2 and the absence of others just means you'll mostly be constrained by the track.

Formula D is also a nice game. It's very simple and intuitive, yet does a surprisingly good job of simulating car racing. Once again, playing with just 2 isn't that big a deal. Because movement is flexible extra cars aren't particularly limiting and generally result in small inconveniences and random damage. I like Formula D a lot but I think it's a pale shadow of Snow Tails.

I haven't played Mush Mush but I read something about how they removed the brake. If so it's hard for me to see how this wouldn't significantly compromise the original.

So generally speaking I think you'll do well with both games, but Snow Tails offers a deeper and more thoughtful experience while Formula D is certainly more luck driven and has more limited strategy as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
p1q0 wrote:
I haven't played Mush Mush but I read something about how they removed the brake. If so it's hard for me to see how this wouldn't significantly compromise the original.

It has been awhile since I read the Mush Mush rules and you are correct, the break mechanics has been removed from the game and the Balanced Sled Bonus rule was modified.

The new Bonus rule states that after a balance sled move you place a D6 on your sled matching your current position in the race, up to 6. Then on a later move you may use "up to" the value of the bonus dice at the end of any move. This move doesn't have to be with a balance sled. But the bonus move has to be in a straight path. Once used the bonus move die is moved off the sled till the next tine you balance your sled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.