John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- don't have the game yet, but am close to pulling the trigger
- I've read several places whereat a certain level of "corruption cards" a player basically has to start over...and after playing for 2+ hrs, that would be a def. deal-breaker with my wife

so...would I have to use them? and if so, has anyone come up with a variant/house rule that modifies them?

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not quite as bad as "start over", but you could play without them. I would like it less (personally). You could also just not have the punishment and just have everyone running around slightly OP. Could be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fairly unusual to hit the corruption limit if you're making any effort to avoid it. It's mainly there as a fitting and thematic punishment for those who go too far in their attempts at abusing the power of Chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play that you Lose 1 Life instead of gaining a corruption card.

Losing by being corrupted doesn't happen too often, but definitely not fun.

The Corruptis Scenario would need some changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
No corruption? You would surely lose a layer of fun! I play Relic a lot, and if you don't gamble on your luck (in this case: corruption), your character shouldn't have any problem (meaning, there are spaces on the game board where you can get rid of it).

But to answer your question: yes, you can. Josh's suggestion above (lose one life in such an instance) is surely a quick and easy solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe just "raise the corruption bar" some? (increase the threshold)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
maybe just "raise the corruption bar" some? (increase the threshold)

This could make things even worse. The highest corruption cards there are fives, and raising the treshold would mean that every corruption card you draw once you have 5, affects you automatically - doesn't matter much mechanically, but storywise, you'd look like a hideous mutant meeple

Also, IIRC, one of the expansion characters has already a threshold of 8 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really don't want to be corrupted you can avoid situations where you draw a corrupt cards. Lots are at your choices for a benefit.

Also some characters are very good at losing corruption cards.

I would not remove them as this would badly unbalance the game for certain characters.

Bottom line it's not that often you will be corrupt unless you take at to many risks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Boscaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
- don't have the game yet, but am close to pulling the trigger
- I've read several places whereat a certain level of "corruption cards" a player basically has to start over...and after playing for 2+ hrs, that would be a def. deal-breaker with my wife

so...would I have to use them? and if so, has anyone come up with a variant/house rule that modifies them?

thanks...

Do not play Relic without corruption cards... They make the game running and fucking funny - expecially the "hunckback" corruption or the "extra arm" one...
In addiction... Use all the expansions and the core set stuff togheter... You will see that being corrupted is not a problem - there is a scenario in wich the more corrupted you are the more are you likely to win if your corruption point total is the highest or the contrary (if most of the players play "straightly" and "aligned with the good ones" and one of them arrives to the final space).
Report and keep in mind the fact that:
* there are NEMESIS characters that can win easily if many characters start to gain corruption... And there is also one that wins easily if they discard them... And is able to force them to do so...
* there is a BADASS scenario "ending" called "Dark Crusade" in which you rarely win and rarely lasts more than 12 / 15 turns: each time a player draws one card type out of a set of 3 (mutant/chaos/traitors) you must put a corruption card on the Halls of Terra tier... If all 12 the spaces there are "corrupted" EACH player loses the match... You still can go and take one to free the space onto which it has been placed... And get rid of corruption using the above mentioned NEMESIS or the spaces you can find into inner tiers or drawing combination of cards such as the combo "Relic card Armor of a Saint + other cards I now do not mention to avoid "spoilers")
* once you draw characters or cards simply choose the "Corruption Threshold 8 instead of 6" character (The Canoness, a female Space Marine) or, again, the above mentioned nemesis or throw in the discarded cards piles the threat cards that say "You can draw X corruption to obtain X "relatively positive" things without choosing to gain corruption to gain those buffs...

--- AND SO ON ---

OTHER THING IMPORTANT TO ME:
tell me if you liked my reply and add me here as a friend so we can exchange thoughts on matches or Relic in general... Or scenarios too...
Bye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I (also) think that you should play with corruption cards when you play. They are by far the best part of this game. Otherwise it's like playing normal Talisman.

Anyway - perhaps make a rule that instead of changing to a new character, you Vanquish the character instead? If you want you can also give them some minor penalty to make it more fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.