Subject: Stealing a tent with the Hand of Luut rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivér Ősz
Hungary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule for using the Hand of Luut is clear: you just borrow a card from an opponent's draw deck and at the end of your turn, you return it to his shelter.

But what if you steal a tent card? If you use it to station a card in it, you return the tent right away and keep the unit in an invisible tent? Or you can't use a stolen tent to station a card in it? Or you get to keep the tent until you use the stationed card? Then you have to remember to give back the tent. And it would let you hold on to the opponent's tent for many rounds.

Similar question: you transform a card to a tent. How do you use that tent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Ivanov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. I think that you can always need to return the card to it's owner. So, if you use it as a tent, then after your turn you will need to dismantle the tent, take the card there in your hand and return the imaginary tent card to the owner. It's not good to steal a tent card. Try with another great artifact One time I steal the horn with the hand. I think we read the rulebook and it's allowed.

2. In this situation is different. If you roll 6 on the amulet and transforms one of your cards into a tent, then the transformed card is put like a tent, you pay 1 supply and put another card there. The transformed card is now a tent, and it will stay that way until you draw the card inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandar Guerov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia-city
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi guys!
Everything you steal with the Hand of Luut has to be returned to his owner's shelter at the end of the turn, so it just not a good idea to steal a tent. You can do it, but you have to return it, so it makes no sense. You cannot station another card in nothing, so it is useless in this case.

@Ivan - you can't steal one GA with another, in the rules is stated - the GA are too powerful and they are ALWAYS to be used "alone" - they cannot "communicate" with other standard or great artefacts. Imagine what will happen if you could tripple the Horn of Baldur with an amulet. No, no.. no interaction between GA or with other normal artefacts. The act of stealing is the actual effect of the Hand of Luut, so it is not possible to steal another GA that way.

The second case is an old controversy in our team . One possible solution is what Ivan said, but according to my statement in the rules (and I officially stick to this ruling, because it is more consistent to the general logic of the game) - the amulets are small magical objects which provide a TEMPORARY effect on the things in the game. This effect lasts till the end of the turn and allows you to do specific actions, but only till the end of the turn. I personally prefer the solution, that the effect of that kind of magic disappears after the end of the turn, so similar to the logic above, it is just not a good idea to use a virtual tent for storing something, because it will disappear at the end of the turn and you have to discard both - the stationed and transformed card. Useless!

I hope I could help, but tents and amulets are sometimes a bit abstract and difficult to understand in some combinations. I try to explain always our logic behind the simple rule, but not everybody agrees to that logic and this is somehow understandable.
Have a great day fellows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivér Ősz
Hungary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer. I like the logic of this solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the reply Alex! This is definitely one my group was doing wrong (on both accounts!). For the Hand of Lutt that makes a lot of sense so we'll be doing that from now on :- )

For the amulet one I can see the argument on both sides. My group went back and forth on that a bunch the first time too... ultimately we went the opposite way you suggest (the amulet made it a tent... and it is one until it ends up back in the discard pile). We'll use your interpretation from now on but that is just going to push people even further away from the amulet in my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.