Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh small
United States
Corry
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As title says, I already play magic, not heavy into it though. Will this provide us with a different enough experience to be worth the effort? The obvious biggest difference is the spellbook which looks very cool, besides that will it feel like a different game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
can't say anything about the experience, since I don't play Magic.

But another difference, which might affect your decision is that Mage Wars is not a CCG. Future expansions will not be random packages. So, you will always know what you buy. For me that is definitely on the plus side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the feeling is very different from magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest difference between MtG and Mage Wars is the spell book. As you're playing Mage Wars, you can grab any card you want out of your spell book. You don't shuffle and hope you draw the card you need/want. This makes Mage Wars a lot more tactical than MtG.

Plus, you really can't go wrong for the low cost of around $25 for the starter set for Academy. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another difference is resource management. In MtG You have lands, in MW You have channeling giving You fixed amount of mana per turn. You have plenty of options to manipulate your and your enemy channeling in MW Arena, but in Academy there are only few cards for this purpose (this will change with time). You're more restrained on mage actions in MW than casting in MtG, but have easier mana management. If You didn't spend whole mana on your turn it will go over to next round allowing You to cast more expensive spell.
There's also initiative and activation system. In MtG player gets whole turn while in MW each player activates creatures alternately. You may want to use initiative to your advantage, for example having your mage go last in round enemy has initiative and in next round when You will have initiative your mage can go first. This way together with Quickcast your mage can have 4 actions in a row.
Then there are Enchantments. You cast them during your action but can reveal almost like instant in MtG. There's bluffing element with them, You could cast Block or Brace Yourself on your creature so that enemy can't harm it or this hidden enchantment may be Bear Strength that You will reveal once this creature attack will pass defense step (or guard in case of sweeping attack).

I'm using spells from Arena as examples as I have yet to get my hands on Academy, which has different card set that can be also used in Arena. If You're interested in Arena think of it as a child of MtG and Warhammer that rebelled against its parents by not being CCG or miniatures game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snotwalker wrote:
The biggest difference between MtG and Mage Wars is the spell book. As you're playing Mage Wars, you can grab any card you want out of your spell book. You don't shuffle and hope you draw the card you need/want.
That's not biggest difference. It's the most visible difference. In MtG You have plenty of ways to manipulate your draw, so You don't even have to put two copies of your "I win" card.
For me biggest flaw of MtG is that decks playing like solitaire are viable. You can't play like that in MW, You have to react to or control what your opponent does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Burke
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play MtG quite a bit in the past, so I will comment, and try to highlight the main differences from a feel perspective.

Game Pace
MtG is a faster paced game. Assuming you built your deck effectively, you have a few choices each turn with the optimal one being obvious.

However, since you have all of your cards available to you in Academy, your optimal play requires a bit more thought. This slows things down, but it adds depth to your choices each turn.

Resources
In MtG, you increase your resources (lands) each turn, and as the game progresses, you'll have greater ability, towards the end of the game, to play multiple cards.

In Academy, you get a static increase in your resources (mana) each turn, and will have to manage resources more effectively. But, you'll also be limited by your mage who can only cast, at most, two spells each turn.

Resource Management
In MtG, you can use all of your resources each turn knowing that they'll all be available again next turn.

Academy requires you to reserve some resources from turn to turn in order to allow you to pay for activating certain spells you've played earlier or casting more expensive spells. So, you'll have to balance resources more effectively.

Creatures
Creatures in MtG are designed to be used and discarded. The loss of a creature normally isn't that big of a deal since you usually have many more.

Creatures in Academy are more durable, but losing them is more problematic since they are costly to play and replace.

Combat
In MtG, you pretty much throw your creatures at your opponent, and it's your opponent who decides where and what to block. You can only attack a specific creature with direct damage.

Academy allows you to target any creature on the board, so anything can be vulnerable. There are some ways to mitigate this (guarding), and that plays an important role in the game adding more depth to combat (and risk).

However, due to dice rolling for combat, Academy can be quite random and swingy. While MtG often just boils down to numbers and optimizing blockers.

I hope this helps. Personally, I think Academy has more depth and decision making during play, but can be very random in combat. Magic has a lot of decision making prior to play (with deck building), but once you start playing, it's usually obvious what you're going to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jburke71 wrote:

I hope this helps. Personally, I think Academy has more depth and decision making during play, but can be very random in combat. Magic has a lot of decision making prior to play (with deck building), but once you start playing, it's usually obvious what you're going to do.

Academy is more random than MtG combat, but MtG whole gameplay is more random than Academy, since you have to draw the cards you need while in Academy you just choose what you want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Burke
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
jburke71 wrote:

Academy is more random than MtG combat, but MtG whole gameplay is more random than Academy, since you have to draw the cards you need while in Academy you just choose what you want to play.

I'm not sure I agree 100%. Proper deck construction will mitigate a lot of randomness (barring a bad shuffle) in most CCG/LCGs. Personally, the dice are almost never my friend. While I can get a good shuffle most of the time =).

In any event, it's part of the game, and since it's my favorite dueling wizards game at this point, I'll just have to deal with the combat dice. I loved the mechanics of Mage Wars Arena, and it was easier to stack the dice to reduce combat randomness, but the game's length always left me feeling frustrated and crabby by the end. Academy is just right in my opinion, so it's a small gripe.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh small
United States
Corry
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of useful info to help me decide. I think considering the low cost of academy ill give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.