Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually ordered this one,since I've heard good things about it,and I generally like these kinds of card games(love Blue vs Gray),but I was curious how the map is handled.Is it played out literally on the cards,as in Blue vs Gray,or is it more abstract than that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Question about game....
MikeOberly (#20752),
There is no map in this game (or playmat either). It is played out with the cards. I posted a photo today of what my current game layout looks like spread out on the table.

Battles are fought either in the east or west with the objective of winning the VP cities as the Union. A map is not required as the battles may be fought or blocked in any order. So far, I've been having a great time with the game. There are some questions answered by the designer on CSW that I've had come up, but the rules are fairly tight. Most of the questions I've had concerned card usage or wording and were answered by a more close reading of the rules.

I highly recommend this game if you like ACW flavor and card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#20858),

Thanks Walt.I'm looking forward to receiving it,but it'll probably be at least another week before it arrives.One bonus question:are the cards oversized,or are they standard poker sized like BvG?I think the priced for the game is a little steep,but it'll be worth it to me if it's the type of game I expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly (#20860),
They're standard sized (poker/MtG) and IMO nice quality. As for price, I pre-ordered though it still was a bit steep. I think they anticipate this as a niche game that might not get overwhelming sales, hence the higher price to cover cost of production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#20863),
Is ACW a niche market? I do not think so given the number of patriots in America. Perhaps you are talking about the playing format in cards? But then Medieval and Blue vs. ray have similar mechanics. In any sense, this is not a niche market game, I thought.
Lawrence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung (#20868),
I think the number of patriots in the USA has nothing to do with the number of people interested in the ACW vice other wars and eras. Wargaming is a niche market. Playing of cards format is not a niche market in general. The categories within this format define the niche. MtG will probably sell more boosters, displays, and starter packs in a week than this game hopes to sell in a lifetime. Yet, I would lump MtG in a CCG category and not a wargame category. If you look at BcoF within its ACW category, there aren't many other game within it. The only ones I can think of are BvG and the Dixie series. Though Dixie was originally a CCG, you can now buy "all in one" sets. But even all 3 of these games represent a very small segment of the card format games available (non-CCG). IMHO they definately are a niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder (#20870),
I think I talk about niche from a wargamer angle while you talk about it from a general game angle. That's why we have a different niche.
Lawrence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.