Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am interested if there is an option that would allow me to block a particular user from viewing my account and/or collection ?

I know that it is possible to block somebody on the forums, but I mean to completly block someone from viewing my account.

Thanks in advance,

- K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
No that's not possible. (What you could do is store your collect anonymously by creating a new account just for listing your collection.)

If there are bigger issue you can always contact the Community Manager:
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
No that's not possible. (What you could do is store your collect anonymously by creating a new account just for listing your collection.)

If there are bigger issue you can always contact the Community Manager:
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

That's a shame. Would there be any chance for You to invest some of the money gathered from the 2015 support drive to actually introduce such an option ? I think it would be more economically feasible than occupying all that precious server storage space with duplicate account information.

Thanks in advance,

- K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I'll bite.

Why?

Especially when it would take less then three mins to logout and view it as a guest or to create a sock puppet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
OK. I'll bite.

Why?

Especially when it would take less then three mins to logout and view it as a guest or to create a sock puppet?

Curious here too as to why?

Just to spite them?

Or did they do a drive-by down-rating of a game in your collection? And if they did. How do you know they did without rifling THEIR account?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never stop me.

I just hovered over your little username and then vibrated my finger on the mouse for five minutes. It felt glorious. Glorious I tell you! I opened your profile 4072 times. I looked at you. over. and. over.

delicious.

write more in there big boy. I need it . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
OK. I'll bite.

Why?

Exactly. I don't get it either.

The only reason to block someone can be to prevent my spouse from finding out about the new games I aquired last month.

One thing I learned working in IT: If you don't want others to view your information you better shouldn't have posted it in the beginning. This is a open side where I can - as noted above - look at collections w/o being part of this side (guest - mode).

And to the Admin who answered: I find it very odd if an Admin suggests creating dummies / fake accounts / multiple copies of accounts as a problem solver - think about rating games if I create 30 fake accounts and rate certain games a 10. This would make the rating system superfluous.

Also one hint was usable and I want to repeat it: If you (the OP) have problems with a certain user who f. ex. looks at your collection and is bombing you with mails about selling games to him / her you can contact the Admins for a final solution if this person doesn't stop after you have told him so.

Just my 5 cent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow
United States
Somecity
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Kidding! I hope whatever the problem is works out for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
I find it very odd if an Admin suggests creating dummies / fake accounts / multiple copies of accounts as a problem solver - think about rating games if I create 30 fake accounts and rate certain games a 10. This would make the rating system superfluous.

Lots of people have sock puppet accounts, which is fine, but there are things you can't do with them (like give 30 ratings to a game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Thanks for all the replies and the "I don't always.." poster. It made my day

To be quite honest with You, I don't have a problem with anybody. I was only curious about the stance the Admins have on this subject (and I too were surprised by the advice to create a double account).

The reason for my asking the original question more or less is connected to the subject of privacy. Not necessarily mine, but of my friends also. For a long time I was not aware that i.e. the information I input regarding play through - where and with whom I play can be viewed publicly by anyone. That came as a bit of a shock for me, since I was making notes of my played games, names of the friends I played with, but I input that information for my personal use, not for the general public to view. I once asked a similar question regarding the possibility of hiding the above mentioned information as some of my friends might not be happy about being listed anywhere in a publicly available register (Yes, we sometimes tell our wives that we're going on a business trip, whilst in reality we play board games somewhere in a desolate place where nobody can find us ) but was also told that there is no option to change that in any other way, as to manually edit or delete the unwanted entries.

I'm not too keen on sharing some information in my profile. It's not paranoia, but I value my own privacy and I would actually welcome solutions that would allow me to choose which items of my profile I can show to others and which not. On the other hand I do understand that the mission of BGG is to unite players and as such, free flow of information regarding board games is welcome, but I find that some boudaries should be introduced i.e. in the form similar to how Google+ or Facebook allows us to select who can see a particular element I am posting.

P.S.

Derry Salewski - feel free to roam over my profile. Whatever floats your boat, m8 and I dare you to actually visit my account 4092 times I'll keep watching my flag counter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
Szarak wrote:
That came as a bit of a shock for me, since I was making notes of my played games, names of the friends I played with, but I input that information for my personal use, not for the general public to view. [...] I'm not too keen on sharing some information in my profile. It's not paranoia, but I value my own privacy [...]
Then don't log your games and personal notes anywhere online on any website or cloud or whatever but rather offline on your PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested to know that there's a "private info" field in each boardgame record in your collection. As far as I know, that's private, specific to you, unreadable to anyone else?

Might be a reasonable request to add a field like that to the game play logging records, you could always put it in the "suggestion" forum as a user suggestion.

Also, when you create a Geeklist, there's an option to make it "private". Others don't see. I think that if you send them the URL they can see it, so it could be still shared among game group members - it's just not part of the public site. So you could create a private gameday Geeklist, for example, if that's more what you're comfortable with than public postings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your privacy is what you make it yourself. You are not obliged to store such "sensitive" info (in the eye of the beholder) on your profile.

Besides, in stead of using their real names you can use nicknames, pseudonyms, etc., to register those game plays; you only know which is who.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG is about sharing.

If you wanted to be antisocial there are other sites that can oblige hiding all your info.

Its like having an art gallery that no one can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.