Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it multiple times now and I am not even getting CLOSE to winning it. I either end up going hard for citizens or I get real lucky with goods, but i can't manage to get both in the 14 turns allowed. Any tips or strategies I should be trying? Anything that's DEFINITELY required in order to do half well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
To see with eyes...
badge
... unclouded by hate
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice would be to read the rules again; there might be some small detail you missed that makes a difference. I tried it out today for the first time. First game, I was missing one good tile or two, but by the second game I won it in 11 or 12 turns. I don't think it should be as hard as you describe.

Here is the strategy I used to win my second game. The priority was the Castle. I was drawing 8 character tiles by the 7th or 8th turn. On the first few turns I took 2 Craftsmans, putting the second Technology tile on the Farm house's Boatman. With that I was doing Farm house almost every turn, going all the way on the Farmers track. That way I got most of my good tiles. I didn't have to travel too much. I got my three citizens on Orléans, the Castle and the development track. Any Knights or Farmer in excess went quickly on the Town hall.

Most of the actions on your player board are of little or no use (Guildhall, Scriptorium, University, etc.). Don't even bother getting Monks; keep your number of character tiles low so that you draw almost all of them every time. Advance on the Development track only by going on the Town hall, and just enough to get the first Citizen (or maybe until the 3 coins if it seems better).

I hope this helps. Try it out and let me know how it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my tips - you can look at as many as you want before going back to it - I don't want to spoil the whole thing in one go. lol

Tiles acquired (character and building):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Take a lot of farmers and knights. Also take the Hayrick on turn 1 or 2 so you can prepare yourself cheaply for the harvests. Getting food for 1 worker per turn is better than having to spend 2 or 3 (or money) to move around and get some.

Never take scholars - they're not used for any other action in the game that you can't just tech over (I didn't take monks either - never felt the need), and you can get all the development you need from the Deed.

My Three Citizens:
The citizens I took were: Castle/knight track, Knowledge track (from thinning farmers and other basic workers I acquired to the Beneficial Deeds board), and by passing through Orleans.

General:
Keep your bag slim - by the last couple turns you should only be Wagoning and Shipping, and Stagecoaching (get your money from Deeds and fishermen [I took one]) when necessary. Which requires seven tiles at MOST. I don't think I ever had more than 3 extra tiles in my bag after drawing for my market the entire game.

Won on turn 13/14. Unsure if I just got lucky with my board or my bag or what, but this is the crux of how I did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.