Subject: Various Rule Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Davis
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of Suburbia earlier this week and encountered a number of different rules issues that we hope to clarify before playing again.

For starters, we somehow completely missed that you are to only play with 21 of each tile type and instead played with all of the included tiles. I imagine this made some of these issues worse, so hopefully they won't have much of an impact during future games.

Our first error was the difference in the terminology of "each of your" and "every." It wasn't until we turned over the first Skyscraper tile that we consulted the rulebook more closely and discovered the described difference. To be clear on this: if a tile does not explicitly refer to "each of your" tiles (or "tiles in other boroughs") then you are to count the tiles in all boroughs. So, for example, the Homeowner's Association tile will give you $2 for every green tile in play as well as any additional green tiles played throughout the game. Is this correct?

The next clarification we were looking for was with the investment markers. When you play an investment marker, does it double all effects of the tile (both top right and bottom) including effects gained from tiles already in play? We had someone invest in a lake with three adjacent tiles but did not pay out the $6 for doubling the lake's value. After we played additional investment markers we feel as though this was a mistake and I wanted to be certain before our next game.

Lastly, we wanted to be sure as to how income was calculated. At the start, we interpreted it as something that was always recalculated each turn or if it was only adjusted based on the tile that was played. This can be partially attributed to us playing with all of the tiles, but I was eventually at a point where my actual income would have been well over 15 were in not for the cap, but if I played a tile that lowered my income we weren't sure whether we recalculate all of my income or if the adjustment is based only on the effects from the tile I placed that turn. For example, if all of my tiles actually gave me an income of $20 but I played a tile that lowered my income by $2, would I be paid $15 (actual income of $18 but capped at $15) or just $13.

We all really enjoyed the game but between using all of the tiles (making the game quite long) and some confusion with important rules we are hoping someone can help out and clarify the above.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That must have been a long game, playing with all the tiles, and recalculating everything each turn must have slowed it down a lot!

1) Yes the tiles are quite specific, just read them literally, yes the home owners association gives you money for residential tiles played by any player (double with an investment marker).

2) Yes, it's like the tile fires off again completely. Like the Home Owners Association, after investing in it, you would get another $2 for each green tile that had been played.

3) You only adjust it. So you should have taken $13. Recalculating like that would completely remove the effect of passing each red line on the score tracker. The scores must have been quite high!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all Nigel's answers.

Yes every means every, yes you get all effects when placing investment marker, and yes income adjustment is immediate based on the tile just placed so $13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Davis
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it took us quite some time but I suppose at the very least it let everyone see what all of the possible tiles were.

I definitely appreciate the clarifications and I'm sure our next game will be a much more manageable length and almost certainly more fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.