Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
for all of you who do not receive the Spartan Games Newletter, they just announced a new product in the Firestorm Universe called "Firestorm Taskforce".

Here is there press release about this:

"What can you do in 30 minutes? You could order a pizza, get a haircut or… Play Firestorm Taskforce! Introducing the new fast-action space combat game so many of you have been waiting for.

Firestorm Taskforce is an exciting new addition to our Firestorm Galaxy, which will now allow you to speed up your game-play to between 30-45 minutes, reduce gaming space and lower introductory costs for new gamers, whilst remaining FULLY compatible with all our current Firestorm Armada models.

We’ll be kicking off Taskforce with three new two-player Starter Sets, encompassing all six core races:

Terran Allianca vs Dindrenzi Federation
Aquan Prime vs The Directorate
Sorylian Collective vs The Relthoza

Inside each box you’ll find everything you need to play the game in 30+ action-packed minutes. The new models inside are also our first to embrace a modular design build, something you’ll all be seeing a lot more across our future Firestorm models.

For existing Firestorm Armada players, individual race Reinforcement Sets are also available. We’ll be announcing this release in full on our website later this evening, so for more information head to www.spartangames.co.uk."

These new starter boxes are up for pre-order right now and retail for 40 GBP. Details about what exactly Taskforce is are scarce, but most likely this will be a new entry level for Firestorm Armada - simpler rules, easier to learn, quicker to play and all you need for two players for just 40 quid.
I also think that it is quite save to assume that the models will be compatible for Firestorm Armada and that Spartan will add the profiles of the new ship types to their fleet manuals.

This gives people on the fence an ideal opportunity to get into Firestorm with a game that will probably compete with Star Trek Attack Wing and X-Wing (in terms of accessibility and playtime). And as the Armada rulebook is availale as afree download, you can easily upgrade to the full game by downloading the rules and maybe buying a patrol fleet box or a few individual models to flesh out your fleet.
And Firestorm veterans get a whole bunch of new fleet building options and great new models.

I personally am pretty exited about this announcement as I was already tinkering with some houserules for building smaller lists than the patrol fleets (for quicker games), so this new - let's call it a skirmish game - system is right down my alley.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rulebook and opinions on the Spartan forum a few preliminary observations:

Advantages:

1) The system is really very fast and you can finish the game in 45 minutes.
2) can serve as a gateway to the world of wargames
3) The rules are simple enough that you can play with your kids without big changes in mechanics
4) moving is very easy and intuitive
5) You can use the models of Firestorm Armada
6) using of terrain is important
7) you have many models on table (large scale of battle)

Disadvantages
1) it seems to me that at the moment the system is fairly random, to a large extent, this may be the fault of a small-scale battles in the starter and the fact that the effect of damage is 2 d6 called. damage table. Spartan Games work is underway on the amendments on this issue.
http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/17885-r...
2) simplification is result in decreased diversity of fractions
http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/17525-f...
3) Relthoza was nerfed
4) system to create a fleet was copied from planetfall although simple you will be forced to buy many blisters to have greater options for the structure of the fleet

For someone who already has a lot of models of Firestorm Armada it may always be some alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new starter boxes and the simpler ruleset. My son (aged 5.5) saw me painting a Sorylian battleship and has developed a serious interest in spaceships. I showed him pictures of all the Firestorm factions and he instantly gravitated towards the Aquans. Tha of course is perfect as they are an idela starter faction.
Right now he is improving his painting skills using the cheap (but nice) em4 spaceship models and once he will have painted the corvettes, frigates and destroyers I got for him, I will start teaching him the rules - and for that the new Taskforce rules are much better suited than the full Armada rules.
So yeah, I am all for the new ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.