BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: The GenCon Housing Block game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's this game where there's this real-time grab for rooms at various hotels for various nights and nobody knows what the hell is going on.

Launching the kickstarter on Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the reskinned version called "San Diego Comic Con Hotel Lottery".

Good luck. No-one ever really wins that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should apologize. Was in a bad mood when I posted that and if it bothers people I'll delete the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a great game. Waiting for PNP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
I should apologize. Was in a bad mood when I posted that and if it bothers people I'll delete the post.

Why would it bother anyone? Large conventions all have similar heartburn when it comes to lodging their attendees.

Creating a game around it could be a fun thing.

You've got various angles to consider:

Players are Attendees attempting to get the best rooms.

Players are hotels providing space and are attempting to maximize their profit.

Players are Convention Planners who seek to inflict the most possible psychological damage on everyone involved.

Players are different conferences all vying for space in the Convention Center at the same time.

Lots of ways to think about it.

Turn that "bad mood" into creative energy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be called CON.

Con indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kopp
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hey I just bought my first ever Gen Con tickets! Is there any strategies on how to break even in the housing game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickkopp wrote:
Hey I just bought my first ever Gen Con tickets! Is there any strategies on how to break even in the housing game?

Buy a hotel in Indianapolis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kopp
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What if your last name isn't Trump?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickkopp wrote:

What I do every year is, a few months before the housing block opens, I reserve a room outside the block. I call it my "backup reservation". That way, if I get really boned in the housing block, I still have that reservation. But if I get lucky with the housing block, I simply call and cancel that backup reservation. No problem.

But this year, there were only two options for downtown rooms (close to the convention center) that I found (I admit to giving up kind of early). One of those was $600/night executive suites at JW Marriot and the other was $250 or $300/night king suites at Hyatt Regency. I'm ok with sharing rooms to an extent, but both of those would be too expensive at the amount I'm willing to share. If the Hyatt rooms had been queens, I would have been ok with that.

Anyway, so my backup reservation this year is out by the airport, which is kind of pointless because you can usually get airport rooms through the housing block without much trouble. I still have it anyway. It's free to cancel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure the owner of the game gets the huge VIG bonus. Pretty much guarentees a win.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickkopp wrote:
What if your last name isn't Trump?

Then you have chance of actually making some money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.