Rory's Story Cubes» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using Rory's Story Cubes to tell interactive fiction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bourg Ghislain
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
I love interactive fictions such as "Choose your own adventure" books, video games like Shadows of Memories, Life is strange, The Walking Dead, and other titles, and board games like Time Stories and The 7th Continent. I love those fictions because your choices really influence how the story unfolds.

Story cubes could be used to tell an interactive fiction :
Player A (3 dices)
>1. rolls 3 dices,
>2. choses 1 to begin the story
>3. explain what the main character can do next, using the two remaining dices

Player B (2 dices)
>1. choses one of the choices described by player A,
>2. rolls 2 dices and describes a choice that the main character must do, using those 2 dices

Play two more turns, until all dices have been rolled.

At the end, you can write the first "run" through the story then start again, with the same 3 first dices but a different choice. Of course, you can also play with the same two first turns (decisions) and change the third or fourth decision. Also, from one run to another, events could be slightly the same.

Combined with Inklewriter (https://writer.inklestudios.com/), you can create fun interactive fictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catalina Gerlein
Colombia
Bogotá
flag msg tools
Eryssel's Journeys
badge
Cu ena durus Tae'Nah arcis!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently got my set of Rory's Story Cubes, and while reading for game variants, I've found yours.

I must say I really like it! Not to mention, it can also be played solo by tweaking the rules a bit (I'm using the steps you've set):

1. roll 3 dice
2. choose 1 die to begin the story
3. explain what the main character can do next, using the two remaining dice
4. pick one of the choices
5. continue by rolling 2 dice and describing 2 new choices with them.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until you run out of dice, or until you feel satisfied with your story.
7. Start again from the beginning by choosing the option you left unexplored, or re-take the story from wherever you wish, making sure to pick any unexplored choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.