Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy of the CE this week and I am happy with what I have seen so far. I haven't un-packaged everything yet so I hope to not have issues with broken tank guns or loose screws on the box as others have mentioned. I don't worry too much about things like this though as GMT has always done an exceptional job of making things right with their customers, well, at least this customer.

I ran through some of the posts here and noticed a lot of folks complaining about the wooden tiles and having to mark control with a cube. At first, I agreed. Why would GMT fix an unbroken element to the game? Now, I haven't played with the CE yet, but after thinking about it the use of cubes to mark control doesn't seem that bad to me. In fact, it may be slightly less fiddly than turning tiles over when control changes.

On another minor note with regard to the wooden tiles, I briefly thumbed through the rule book and noticed it was updated for CE. However, they didn't update the pictures for the wooden tiles. They show pictures of the previous edition counters flipped to their white side when showing presence in a country. This is a minor quibble at best, but I would think if GMT were going to update the rules for some CE components, why not include them all?

All that said, I am on the fence about actually playing with my copy. I usually buy games to play them, not to collect or collect dust for that matter. However, I get the feeling that a year from now the collectors edition will be very valuable, despite some of the negative comments going around. What do others think? Play or play not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you buy the CE to play or as an investment vehicle? And if the latter why did you only buy one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Did you buy the CE to play or as an investment vehicle? And if the latter why did you only buy one?

I kick started the digital TS specifically to obtain the collectors edition. I am old school when it comes to games, so the digital version holds little interest to me.

I really love TS, so my intent was to play it. Like I said in my post I buy games to play them. This one got me wondering though about the investment end of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be honest:

If you play it and take great care of it, the thing will still have plenty of value later on.

Besides, once you have played it you can note on the sale that the ballistic missile operates correctly, the tanks, though ready, have never fired at each other, and the Spacecraft have succssefully completed their missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Got my cards all sleeved and ready to go. Blocks are all stickered and I put the map in a poster frame. This puppy is getting played this weekendcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you know I'm a sucker for chrome but I'll play whichever version you bring! I think the version you have is plenty attractive as-is, however...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.