Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Pisanich
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
If at first you don't succeed.... SQUIRREL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a conversation the other day about when you can use the yoke to harvest a field. My brother in law said that you must wait until the winter to use it to harvest as the grapes are growing during the summer. I see his point because you can only harvest with the board action during the winter. Thematically it makes sense. My response was that you should be able to use it in the Summer if you choose.

The rules state that you can harvest in either summer or winter. What are your thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoke *can* be used to harvest during the summer, so you are correct. It's important to remember, however, that you can only harvest a field once per year. So if you harvest a particular field with your yoke in Summer, you cannot harvest it again using the harvest space in Fall/Winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coe
United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
flag msg tools
I like cats...
badge
...but I usually can't finish a whole one.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use it anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJStudley wrote:
Yoke *can* be used to harvest during the summer, so you are correct. It's important to remember, however, that you can only harvest a field once per year. So if you harvest a particular field with your yoke in Summer, you cannot harvest it again using the harvest space in Fall/Winter.

Shhh...Don't tell the Magic the Gathering police, but we 'tap' the field cards to remember this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamespisanich wrote:
We had a conversation the other day about when you can use the yoke to harvest a field. My brother in law said that you must wait until the winter to use it to harvest as the grapes are growing during the summer. I see his point because you can only harvest with the board action during the winter. Thematically it makes sense. My response was that you should be able to use it in the Summer if you choose.

The rules state that you can harvest in either summer or winter. What are your thoughts on this?
Is a "conversation" about rules a disagreement that falls just short of physical violence? (As opposed to an "argument", in which actual punches are thrown)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
DJStudley wrote:

Shhh...Don't tell the Magic the Gathering police, but we 'tap' the field cards to remember this...

I refill my wine glass to remember this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I've been looking around for good "harvested" tokens as my casual gaming family, who love this game, do struggle to remember this. The yoke doesn't get used much (and should probably get used more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pisanich
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
If at first you don't succeed.... SQUIRREL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know you can only harvest each field once per year which makes sense. I mean how can you pick the grapes twice? They would have already been picked from the vines. Using this same logic. My brother in laws response is "Why would you be able to harvest your field in the summer while the grapes are still growing?".

It definitely changed how I play the game because I like to be able to harvest in the summer to be able to have a better turn order in the winter. For instance if I really want to play a blue visitor card but I also need to harvest a field first. If I can harvest in the summer at any time on my own board then I can still use my player turn order position to play a blue card in the winter with out first harvesting and then hoping that the blue spot is still open. Maybe I already used my Grande worker for another action or want to save it for something else.

I guess what I am asking is who thinks thematically you should wait until the winter to be able to harvest a field with your yoke? Who thinks it doesn't matter and that you can harvest that fields 1 time per year harvest in the summer with your yoke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James: The real-life comparison is that grapes can be picked at different times of the year, resulting in different nuances in the wine they create. Strategically, it can benefit you to sometimes harvest early so you can use the "make wine" action before others can get to it, as you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I always considered it, thematically, to be a late summer harvest due to the apparently radical efficiency of the yoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamespisanich wrote:

What are you asking here? Whether or not it is useful from the perspective of allowing the rule? Or perhaps whether or not the rule has a proper foundation in reality.

I have an imprecise memory of reading a statement from the designer that defended the latter.

Edit: I see now
jamespisanich wrote:
I guess what I am asking is who thinks thematically you should wait until the winter to be able to harvest a field with your yoke? Who thinks it doesn't matter and that you can harvest that fields 1 time per year harvest in the summer with your yoke?

See again my last sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than putting our worker on the yoke to use it, we put the worker on the field that he's harvesting. That way we don't forget which field is already finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
apotheos wrote:
I've been looking around for good "harvested" tokens as my casual gaming family, who love this game, do struggle to remember this. The yoke doesn't get used much (and should probably get used more).

Put a glass bead on each field for each grape colour in it at the start of the year (or when you plant them). Take them off and put them into your Crush Pad when you harvest them. No bead, field already harvested.

It's so simple I'm always surprised it's not part of the rules already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
thespaceinvader wrote:
apotheos wrote:

Put a glass bead on each field for each grape colour in it at the start of the year (or when you plant them). Take them off and put them into your Crush Pad when you harvest them. No bead, field already harvested.

It's so simple I'm always surprised it's not part of the rules already.

Holy crap that is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DJStudley wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:
DJStudley wrote:

I refill my wine glass to remember this

That's funny -- most people drink to forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.