Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the new art much better, kind of a more modern style while maintaining the theme.
http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/33497/ascend-aristocratic...

It's safe to assume that not just the art box was changed but also the board and components. Most likely the game is still the same.

I'm most definitely picking up this version as soon as it comes out, which I assume will happen after Onitama (which releases next month), hopefully May or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I like the cover image, but that's neither here nor there, since they don't show up from the shelf anyway. I'd like to see the board and components before passing judgment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bunch of people scowling. I like the ABACUSSPIELE version better. Sure glad I own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Mort
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
A bunch of people scowling. I like the ABACUSSPIELE version better. Sure glad I own it.

I totally agree with you, and I'm jealous that you have the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine from Canada. Looks like it's still available if you're up for spending some extra money for the less pissed-off-looking artwork. I sure was.

http://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/royals?variant=974160...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does what's inside the box compare? I can't find pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's none around yet. In a recent Q&A here Tom Vasel mentioned that, besides having all new art the new version has some minor tweaks (number of cards) to improve play balance, the cubes are now little meeples and... the rest is missing due to a bad mic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this thread, I ordered a copy of the original version. New art looks lame to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
After reading this thread, I ordered a copy of the original version. New art looks lame to me.
You mean the box art? At least wait to see the board and cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
albynomonk wrote:

Well the original box art is exactly the same as the board in the game. The nobles look the same. Personally I prefer the older version and I'm not sure why there is a trend to move away from cubes and instead use mini meeples in area control games. I think cubes work perfectly; they don't fall over and are easy to group and count.

I am curious about the rules tweaks though, I just played a 5p game and felt like there should have been some cards removed from the decks.

Either way it is an excellent game and would recommend it no matter what the art looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people seem to be buying the original version after seeing this cover. Kind of surprising to me. I'm not big on either cover, though I feel the new one is a bit more intriguing just because of the higher contrast. My main issue withe original was the bland and drab board though. I'd wait to see the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think is silly to pass judgment without even knowing what the board and cards look like (and components in general). I will no decide until then.

So far this cover shows a better more vibrant color palette and better contrast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
albynomonk wrote:

The new box art feels a bit too "Game of Thrones-ey" to me. I also really like the art on the board and cards of the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
I am curious about the rules tweaks though, I just played a 5p game and felt like there should have been some cards removed from the decks.

I've only played with 3 & 4. I'm curious, which and how many cards do you feel should be removed for 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Papa Ninja wrote:

I've only played with 3 & 4. I'm curious, which and how many cards do you feel should be removed for 5?

I think I would start by subtracting 2 from the number of cards you'd remove in a 4p game, if that was to much I'd subtract 3:

France - 4 or 3 cards removed
German States - 3 or 2 cards removed
Britain - 3 or 2 cards removed
Spain - 2 or 1 card(s) removes

Unfortunately I don't know the next time I'll get to play with 5. Let me know how it goes if you try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:

So far this cover shows a better more vibrant color palette and better contrast.

I would disagree, the new cover has less contrast and all of the colors appear chalky because the artist used too much white. The characters on the box all look pasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board art on the new version is worse than the original IMO. I also don't like the separate box on the right for the cemetery instead of the single, multi-use box on the left in the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
Board art on the new version is worse than the original IMO.I also don't like the separate box on the right for the cemetery instead of the single, multi-use box on the left in the original.
Cemetery? Box? Im so confused now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the new board is kind of busy-looking, but at least the duke now looks like William Shatner!

I kind of like the textured look of the country cards, but a bloody knife on the intrigue cards? Bleah.

For more:

http://www.arcanewonders.com/royals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Yeah, the new board is kind of busy-looking, but at least the duke now looks like William Shatner!

I kind of like the textured look of the country cards, but a bloody knife on the intrigue cards? Bleah.

For more:

Not a fan of adding the Cardinal to the King spot in Britain... makes the 8pt chip a lot easier to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
stevepop wrote:

For more:

Not a fan of adding the Cardinal to the King spot in Britain... makes the 8pt chip a lot easier to get.

I didn't catch that, I'd completely agree. Also the challenge of controlling Britain and getting is having to secure that King plus the Cardinal is worth 3 influence and the Princess only 2?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.