Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In my plays so far I've found Favor of the Pharaoh has a runaway leader problem for the 2-player game.

All of the tile rows except the lowest has only one copy of each tile.

In the two-player game, this has often lead to one player being lucky enough to buy up a bunch of critical tiles, leaving very few options for the other player to just suffer through the second half of the game, waiting for the leader to finish them off.

To counter this, I've had a good amount of success by introducing a variant to the two-player setup that has improved my two-player plays.

Quote:
Two-Player Alternate Setup

* Place out two copies of the tiles from the 4-dice row (2nd from bottom) instead of 1 copy.

This provides a boost to the number of possible tiles in play, preventing one player from buying up all of the lower-mid tiles (crippling the other player's ability to build toward the higher dice count rows).

We really like it. Does this improve the 2-player game for you? Let us know in the comments!

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my plays have been 2-player and I never thought there was a runaway leader problem. Almost all of those games have been reasonably close.

At higher player counts in a couple of games I have seen a situation that is sort of the opposite problem where one player falls far behind the others because he just can't seem to make a roll to claim anything. This can especially happen when using the B sides.

However, I only recently realized I had completely missed a rule that directly affects that situation. If you can't claim anything and already have the Herder then you get two Scarab tokens. Somehow I either totally missed that or completely forgot about it when it became relevant during our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmwest wrote:
However, I only recently realized I had completely missed a rule that directly affects that situation. If you can't claim anything and already have the Herder then you get two Scarab tokens. Somehow I either totally missed that or completely forgot about it when it became relevant during our games.

It's still not much. I wonder how often someone wins after having this happen. I would think it's pretty rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
seanmwest wrote:

It's still not much. I wonder how often someone wins after having this happen. I would think it's pretty rare.

I think David is right... you have essentially missed a beat in a racing game in a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if anyone needs help, it's the 3p game, not the 2p. Since everyone can get both Lv3 tiles to get 5 dice, shortage of Lv4 tiles isn't too crippling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing 2-player by myself, and for a while I thought the first player had an advantage. Then I realized I was forgetting to give an extra die to the 2nd player if the first player plays the queen. That seemed to even it out for me. Now it's about 50/50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.