Subject: First time trying Myth 2.0 - what's going on? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Paul
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of friends and I tried Myth last night, and ... it was disastrous. First up, we couldn't even figure out the Quest cards; the rules talk about Story Quests, but how do you determine which Quests are Story Quests?

We ended up trying to play The Hand of Darkness quest. Immediately, we couldn't figure out if the specified monster setup (Miniboss, Captain, 6 minions) counted as a Lair Spanw or a Hunting Pack; we decided it counted as neither and set up a Lair, spawned a load of minions from it and didn't bother with a Hunting Pack because now there were 14 monsters on the tile.

Then, am I reading it right? The Archer can't make any attacks in their first Hero cycle, because all the ammo cards only become Readied in the Hero Deck Phase? (made worse by the fact that once I'd Readied some ammo, I didn't get any Attack cards in the next Cycle. I don't know what would have happened in the third Cycle because another player got to 5 Threat, and we lost the Quest because we'd not killed all the non-miniboss monsters).

Finally, do you set up the board with a single tile and add more as models move off the edges, or do you set up multiple tiles right from the beginning? We assumed the former, but the sample beginner Quest on the MCG website seems to imply the latter?

I'm hoping we just did this wrong and the game will get better once we figure out how to do it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AndrewGPaul wrote:
A couple of friends and I tried Myth last night, and ... it was disastrous. First up, we couldn't even figure out the Quest cards; the rules talk about Story Quests, but how do you determine which Quests are Story Quests?

First off, welcome to the Myth boards here on BGG. You'll find everything you need somewhere here.

You're playing with 2.0 material, right? Check out this geeklist.

AndrewGPaul wrote:
We ended up trying to play The Hand of Darkness quest.

Does the quest card look like this?

If not, use the 2.0 materials, they are much easier to learn on.

AndrewGPaul wrote:
Immediately, we couldn't figure out if the specified monster setup (Miniboss, Captain, 6 minions) counted as a Lair Spanw or a Hunting Pack; we decided it counted as neither and set up a Lair, spawned a load of minions from it and didn't bother with a Hunting Pack because now there were 14 monsters on the tile.

Definitely incorrect. I suspect you're not using 2.0 content.

AndrewGPaul wrote:
Then, am I reading it right? The Archer can't make any attacks in their first Hero cycle, because all the ammo cards only become Readied in the Hero Deck Phase?

Correct

AndrewGPaul wrote:
Finally, do you set up the board with a single tile and add more as models move off the edges, or do you set up multiple tiles right from the beginning? We assumed the former, but the sample beginner Quest on the MCG website seems to imply the latter?

One tile at a time. You might want to watch some of the designer's game play videos to give yourself a better understanding on how the game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Paul
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help. We were definitely using 2nd edition cards - exactly like the one you pictured there.

So, is that a Story Quest (if not, how do you tell?)? do those monsters listed count as a Lair Spawn, a Hunting Pack or neither? (we were using a 12x12 tile)

Also, can you let me know if I was understanding the card correctly? The text in the yellow area is "ongoing", to coin a phrase; it's constantly in effect, so if we kill all the monsters, the quest is resolved instantly, rather than waiting until the ... cleanup? (I don't have the rulebook handy) phase. Whereas the text in the beige area below it only kicks in at that phase, so there's a chance to lose Threat before it is applied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AndrewGPaul wrote:
So, is that a Story Quest (if not, how do you tell?)? do those monsters listed count as a Lair Spawn, a Hunting Pack or neither? (we were using a 12x12 tile)

Story quests are no longer part of the game. The quest cards are now simply that - quests. I think they are generally called "adventure quests" now.

AndrewGPaul wrote:
Also, can you let me know if I was understanding the card correctly? The text in the yellow area is "ongoing", to coin a phrase; it's constantly in effect, so if we kill all the monsters, the quest is resolved instantly, rather than waiting until the ... cleanup? (I don't have the rulebook handy) phase. Whereas the text in the beige area below it only kicks in at that phase, so there's a chance to lose Threat before it is applied?

Text in Yellow is known as the "Quest Rules" - I've not thought of this as "ongoing", but I suppose that interpretation works.

Text just below the Quest Rules (beige?) is called the "Quest Results". This tells you what to do EVERY refresh phase (during the "quest results" step).

I'd highly recommend starting with the quest "Rescue My Daughter" as I find it pretty simple to understand (plus it's explained in the rule book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AndrewGPaul wrote:
Thanks for your help. We were definitely using 2nd edition cards - exactly like the one you pictured there.

Unfortunately the 2.0 rules still talk of Story Quests. There really are no Story Quests any longer. These monsters are not a Lair Spawn so if the tile requires a Lair that would be in addition. However, if the Quest said to place a Lair then it would satisfy the tile and Quest requirement.

AndrewGPaul wrote:

Yes, you are understanding the card correctly. The yellow area is 'ongoing' and if something tells you to resolve the quest or do something else it is done immediately upon the 'triggering' condition. You are also correct on the other area. This happens during the refresh phase. For this quest you would want to try to limit threat or decrease it before reaching the Refresh phase.

As a reminder (especially in the case of the archer), if you drew an attack card the first turn but of course didn't have an arrows ready yet, you can keep one card before discarding and drawing your next hand...this might help.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Paul
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, right; the rulebook still mentions Story Quests quite a lot (definitely the 2nd ed rulebook, as it refers to 2nd ed card layouts).

That video's cleared up a couple of things we were getting wrong or missing, thanks.

As for the Archer, I discarded the Attack I didn't use in the first cycle because I wanted to keep the Interrupt I had, only to end up with a hand full of ammo and no Attacks in the next cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AndrewGPaul wrote:
Ah, right; the rulebook still mentions Story Quests quite a lot (definitely the 2nd ed rulebook, as it refers to 2nd ed card layouts).

That video's cleared up a couple of things we were getting wrong or missing, thanks.

As for the Archer, I discarded the Attack I didn't use in the first cycle because I wanted to keep the Interrupt I had, only to end up with a hand full of ammo and no Attacks in the next cycle.

Good old luck of the draw...kind of difficult to decide whether to keep an interrupt or an attack in some cases...

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
You can treat the captain/minions as the hunting pack, for tile setup.

Tough quest to learn the game. Basically, this one is all about managing threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Archer is definatly the hero with the biggest power creep based on gear. With only brown items, she's hard to play / not very effective. With blue gear, she has to watch out for her threat because she becomes a never ending killing machine...

About first cycle attack, if you're lucky, you may have an Ammo card and Wayfarer's Ruse in your first hand, which would allow you to attack on tye first cycle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Watching videos like Remi's, MM's and the official ones is an easy way to get a grip on the game.

I'm surprised when people act as if watching instructional videos is a chore. I must have watched Ricky Royal's videos three or four times before I even looked at the Mage Knight rules. Myth was the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Paul
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I see there's a sample setup for new players on the website. Unfortunately, the rulebook just says to pick one randomly, so we did.

As for videos, I normally avoid them like the plague. The speed at which the information is given doesn't usually suit me; a well-written document with diagrams is usually what I prefer. The one in this thread didn't start off too well - silly intro, then a lot of muttering, missing bits out and backtracking - but it got more informative further in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewGPaul wrote:
Yes, I see there's a sample setup for new players on the website. Unfortunately, the rulebook just says to pick one randomly, so we did.

As for videos, I normally avoid them like the plague. The speed at which the information is given doesn't usually suit me; a well-written document with diagrams is usually what I prefer. The one in this thread didn't start off too well - silly intro, then a lot of muttering, missing bits out and backtracking - but it got more informative further in.

I agree it's hard to figure out the right speed of giving out info as preferences depend on each person. I definitely am on the slower side as I tend to give examples and explain more complex things twice. The fact I'm translating what I'm thinking as I say it makes it longer too...

In my current series, I'm giving timestamps of elements amd cards I'm explaining to give listeners the option of skipping ahead to what they want to hear about. Not saying it's perfect but hopefully it makes things better for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like sitting back and watching a video. It's often relaxing. Watching Ricky Royal play Mage Knight for two hours is like meditating or watching test cricket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Darby_ wrote:
I like sitting back and watching a video. It's often relaxing. Watching Ricky Royal play Mage Knight for two hours is like meditating or watching test cricket.

I used to be a video-watcher like you. Then I got (an arrow to the knee) less time.

I'm to unpatient to watch most videos. When I start on I keep thinking 'get to the point'.

But I still apreaciate people making videos to help new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ross vance
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Story quests, are more structured quest acts, 'myth modules are official story quests'...so just some confusion I think & story quests correctly included in content of 2.0 rules. The adventure mode uses the quest cards. Ref Pg 29 of 2.0 rule book explains pretty well imho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.