3 Posts

Reds! The Russian Civil War 1918-1921» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1L? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Librarian Bryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 11.3 H states, "Determine the combat result by cross-referencing the combat odds with the combat differential on the Combat Results Table,
shifting odds (cumulatively) for any terrain as specified on the
Terrain Effects Chart." The Terrain Effects Chart specifies that 1L shift applies to Reds only in red cities.

I found this rule ambiguous. Does this mean that if any units, attacking or defending, are in a hex with the indicated terrain you cumulatively shift 1L? As 1L is always a shift in defensive favor, there were some instances this didn't make thematic sense. Or does this only apply when units are defending? Not to mention, control of cities constantly changes. So I am assuming the 1L shift only applies w/r/t what is printed on the map, not which side is in control of a particular city on a particular turn. I guess. Like I said, I found it ambiguous.

I just finished my first full game. By the end, I settled on giving the lL shift bonus to the defender on a hex with the indicated terrain as a CRT left shift is a defensive bonus. This thread seems to indicate that is the right thing to do. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/973937/red-city-combat-effe...

I plan on posting a review of my full experience soonish, but any opinions on this will be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the combat chart in front of me, but I believe it says something to the effect of:

Defender gets a shift of 1L unless the Red player is attacking into a Red city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plebs Tribune
msg tools

The 1L result is an advantage to the defender of a mountain, a river line, or a non-Red city. (Only) the Red player enjoys a 1L shift when defending a Red city.

(Terrain Effects Chart is on the right side of the game map).
http://www.gmtgames.com/reds/RedMap3.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.