Subject: What's a 'good' score? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned this wonderful game and have nothing better to do with all the snow (out of work today). Over the past two days I've played 4 complete games and 2 half-finished--I'm doing First Reconnaissance over and over, trying out all the characters. But I have no idea how well I'm doing! So far, my scores have been:

Norowas: 47 points
Arythea: 52 points
Goldyx: 47 points

I actually felt best about my Goldyx game because I found the city a turn early. The with him was also very forgiving since I recruited Herbalists and took his healing skill, Potion Making, so could take huge risks in battle. Based on my limited impressions, he seems like the best character for new players and Norowas is toughest. But here's to trying out the last character.

So anyway, what is a good/great score for First Recon (solo)? I really have no idea if I suck or not, although I'm having so much fun I only slightly care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you'd get more answers if you posted Conquest scores. First Reconnaissance is hardly worth scoring and is just there to provide a quick game for people to learn the ropes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree the First Reconnaissance is really just a tutorial,if you feel you have a good grasp of the games rules then you should move onto Full conquest or one of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do. I'll probably play Solo Conquest tomorrow evening, but in the meantime, any ideas of what a decent score would look like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, anything over 100 points is good. I'm sure I'll be laughed at for saying that though.
150+ Great!
200+ Wow amazing. Are you sure you weren't cheating?

*My highest legitimate (i.e. no rules mistakes) score on solo conquest was 212 with Tovak, after many, many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:
IMO, anything over 100 points is good. I'm sure I'll be laughed at for saying that though.

Not from me. I can't seem to break about 150. Granted, I've only played 10 times. Maybe I should have by now though. Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, you achieve higher scores by making the game harder. Harder game = more enemies = more fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
See also:

Good score for First Reconnaissance
What's a good solo score?
Is 181 a good solo game score?
High Score
What does the score mean?
[Closed] Ye Olde Mage Knight Solo Conquest Scoreboarde!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any win is a good score in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wrote my first 4 Solo Conquest scores down (I think they were all done without altering the City Levels, but it was a while ago and I didn't make a note of that):

- Norowas 183
- Tovak 165
- Norowas 167
- Goldyx 194

All wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoonakker
msg tools
Depends on your experience, you increase your scores quite fast once you know some good combo's and know your way around the game. 150 seems to be a nice target for novice players.

As someone mentioned before, increasing the city level grants you enormous amounts of fame. In a game I had recently, I played the cities on level 8 and 16. That means you fight 8 monsters in the last city, of which most give 6 or 7 fame.

Beating the normal 5-8 setup for starters is a goal in itself, once you master this difficulty crank it up a notch and go see what tactics earn you more fame. Personally I'd rather win with a low score then losing by an inch but with a better score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just played another Solo Conquest with base level cities last night - this time with Braevalor or try him out - got 190 - not bad considering I hadn't played since June...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost my first two conquest missions and did not score them.

Then I won the 3rd with Arythea --> score 185
And I won the 4th with Tovak --> score 195

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scouring through my logged plays, I found that everyone I’ve played First Reconnaissance (7 games) with had scores ranging from 6 to 51. My own score on my very first game was only 14. So compared to that, you did very well.

The caveat here is that I’ve never done First Reconnaissance solo; it was always with other players — the first time as a learner, and every other time as a teacher. I’ve never bothered playing that scenario when everyone has already played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this game a while now as Solo Conquest. I'm routinely winning and winning comfortably. I get scores 140-170. 140 means I took a lot of wounds that counted against me. 170 means I found the cities straight away and picked off some choice Dungeons along the way. I once got 205 in one of those fluke games where the monsters were all pushovers and the dummy never drew a crystal colour.

I've not been able to push higher than 170. If I clobber the cities on Day 3 the points I lose by not playing Night 3 cancel out the early finish bonus.

So 150 is a good score for me. 200 suggests blinding luck or a misreading of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More helpfully, look at it like this:

In a typical Round, you hope to win two combats. You may manage more than that, if the enemies are all lined up like dominos, but two is optimal because you normally have to spend turns moving through terrain, side-questing to collect manna crystals or healing, interacting at sites - and you won't win every fight.

Round 1 (day 1) might involve killing a marauding Orc (c.4 VP) and maybe sacking a Dungeon (say, 5VP plus a 2VP treasure and 2VP for putting your tile on a site). 13VP total.

Round 2 (night 1) might defeat another Orc and perhaps a Mage Tower (again, 4 VP for the Orc sounds fair and 9VP for a tower, including the free Spell). 13 VP again.

Round 3 (day 2) might involving bringing down a Keep (say, 5VP for the fight + 2VP for claiming the site) and another dungeon, ruin or monster lair (say, 8VP). 15 VP this time.

Round 4 (night 2) maybe bags another Keep and another Mage Tower (16 VP, roughly).

Round 5 (say 3) you discover the first City and fight a Draconum (say 8VP) then conquer the city (killing 3 monsters, say 22VP). 30 VP total.

Round 6 (night 3) you bring down the last city (killing 4 monsters, say 28VP)

That's 105 VP. You get +10VP for each city and +15 for sacking both cities (so 140VP total) and you'll also get some VPs for your Advanced Actions (maybe +10VP) and leftover manna crystals, but then you discount wounds, so assume they balance out. You get VPs for Units hired and you might typically have recruited 2-4 (more if you're Norowas), a couple of greys ands a couple of golds, so 10VP there, assuming they're not wounded at the end.

That's 160VP. You might nudge it higher if you took out some extra marauders like Orcs in the final Rounds at no great cost to yourself, or if you trounced more Draconum than was strictly necessary or got lucky on a Ruin. You might finish early, getting a +5VP bonus and extra VPs for each card left in the dummy's hand. Could you squeak an extra +40VPs out of all that to manage 200VP? Yes, it's possible.

But 160VP must be considered an optimal score, because so much can go wrong if you find mountains or lakes in your way, if you take a lot of wounds in early fights and have to waste time on magic glades healing or buying healing instead of Units, or if the Unit Offer doesn't feature stuff that can be recruited at the sites nearby. You can catch lucky breaks if you stumble across the Horn of Wrath (especially with the pre-LL rules) or other items or powers that boost your Fame score as you go.

Of course, I'm used to playing Norowas and someone may point out that Tovak can expect to win 2-3 fights/round optimally but won't recruit Units so easily. I think Norowas is one of the lower-scoring Mage Knights because he's reliant on the Unit Offer to realise his full potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
Round 5 (say 3) you discover the first City and fight a Draconum (say 8VP) then conquer the city (killing 3 monsters, say 22VP). 30 VP total.
Round 6 (night 3) you bring down the last city (killing 4 monsters, say 28VP)
So that's why the time bonus awards 30 VP for each unplayed round. Seems pretty reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
So 150 is a good score for me. 200 suggests blinding luck or a misreading of the rules.

You are assuredly wrong here. There are many strategy threads and session reports that speak to routinely achieving 200+ without increasing city level beyond the default. (Increasing city level puts verified scores near 300 with very good luck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I am shortchanging mself in some reading of the rules then... I can finish the game faster (ie on Turn 5) but I'm not increasing my score by doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.