Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like game shows? How about brutal insults? This week's title might be a brutal insult to game shows...as we're playing The Weakest Link, based on the American version of the popular UK quiz show. Players answer rapid fire trivia questions to earn points as a team, then turn on each-other and eliminate each-other one by one until one winner remains. One player even gets to play Anne Robinson and unleash vicious jabs at poorly performing players! Will we be playing this one again, or will we say "Goodbye"?

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2016/01/episode-86-weakest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the weakest link, I have to listen!

I wonder if this can become the best weakest link episode ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Let's take a moment out of this thread to do a little math in the world…

The game claims it has 2300 questions. YMC said there were 5 questions on each side of the card, so 10 questions per card. Therefore, using the math that I learned from the PAC-MAN Card Game, I can tell you that there are 230 cards in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
I'm the weakest link, I have to listen!

I wonder if this can become the best weakest link episode ever.

Really weird to see in retrospect the mix of long term cast members and one off and nearly one off guest stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I got from that is that Jared would play game shows like British players tend to (We're notoriously reluctant gamblers for game shows, particularly compared to the US).

Divided was usually around a 60/30/10 split, wasn't it? Not a UK original format, as I recall - I think the main difference between our version and the original was the original lacked an on-screen host.

Fun trivia about The Weakest Link - The reason it's so dark and nasty in presentation, and Anne puts in insults? During the pilots, where Anne was presenting it as a neutral host, and the querying what happened, etc, was done as a neutral observer. They found the contestants were insulting each other and giving a pretty nasty tone to things... So, they started scripting insults for Anne so she could join int he fun as a sort of ringmaster, and... Arguably make the overall thing less nasty since now the contestants are backstabbing each other, sure, but there's a panto villain at the center of things hurling the insults rather than the players hurling them at each other.

Points in videogames are a holdover from arcade highscore tables, basically.

The Knizia LoTR game points are theoretically so you can work out who won if the group wins - it's technically semi-coop but no-one plays it like that, like Arkham Horror as I recall. Individual score of shields are added to the game score (60) if you win, highest individual score wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In between laughing so hard and just plain ol' enjoying myself I had two thoughts: Israel had 13 tribes and one was lost? Huh?
And,
We really need to do a PbF Wrong Scattergories #2 really soon. I'm with the players, it Stupid Answers(TM) is just Wrong Scattergories with less thinking - and I like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tribes thing stuck out to me too. Jared is correct that the number of tribes depends on how you count. But one of them isn't lost.

Jacob had 12 sons. But when he blessed his 12 sons, instead of blessing Joseph, he blessed Joseph's two sons (Jacob's grandson), increasing the number to 13.

But... the tribe of Levi didn't receive a land inheritance in Canaan, instead becoming the priests of the nation. Thus, the number of tribal land allotments was 12.

The "lost tribes of Israel" refer to the 10 tribes that later formed the northern kingdom of Israel when the nation was divided into 2 nations (Israel in the north, Judah in the south). When norther Israel was conquered by Assyria (multiple times really) the Assyrians deported all the Israelites and resettled them in other parts of the Assyrian empire. That was pretty standard Assyrian policy, basically spreading out your conquered enemies and breeding them out of existence Over time they married and mixed with other conquered nations that had also been deported and resettled and gradually became non-Israelites. All record of them in history was "lost" after that. Thus, the 10 lost tribes of Israel.

But, yeah, depending on how you count there are 12 or 13 tribes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, all of this depends on whether John Hurt counts or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Just listened to the episode and it's good stuff. If you are ever short on players in the future I would be happy to offer my services.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.