Subject: 2 player light games for someone with depression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm looking for 2 player lighter games that are quick(ish) and engaging. I'm thinking along the lines of Morels or Lost Cities and could possibly go up to the weight of something like Targi. Something that holds your attention and preferably is over within an hour. Really short games are good too. I'd prefer there to be not a huge number of fiddly bits to be dealing with.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for 2 player lighter games that are quick(ish) and engaging. I'm thinking along the lines of Morels or Lost Cities and could possibly go up to the weight of something like Targi. Something that holds your attention and preferably is over within an hour. Really short games are good too. I'd prefer there to be not a huge number of fiddly bits to be dealing with.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

My favourite light two-players are Jaipur and Patchwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick, light games my husband and I play:
-Pagoda
-Jaipur
-Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, a bit fiddly but fun
-Patchwork has lots of quilt 'pieces' but isn't really fiddly
-The Builders: Middle Ages or Splendor (they play similarly but Builders is more thematic/fun to me)
-Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
-YINSH is pure abstract but very engaging, imo
-Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
-Pandemic: The Cure is a quick co-op
-Bazaar is a pleasant and thinky abstract
-Le Fantôme de l'Opéra
-Carcassonne
-Taluva
-Cacao
-Karuba
-We play Codenames 2P co-op

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor McGoey
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
insideupgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like Battle Line it's just cards and 9 small tokens, but it's quick, fun and can have a good bit of strategy.
Citadels works well and can be played up to 8 with the expansion.
And there is always Cribbage :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmb
Wakanda is a light 2 player game where players are trying to build the most prestigious totem poles.

Sun Tzu is a great two player area control game where players are trying to out guess each other.

King & Assassins is a fun hidden movement game where the king and his knights are trying to take out the assassins hidden amongst the citizens before they kill the king.

Mr. Jack has one player acting as Jack the Ripper trying to escape, the other player is a detective attempting to discover Jack's true identity and capture him.

Hive is a fast two player abstract game where players are trying to captured their opponent's queen bee.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is a Stratego type game, where one player is the fellowship, and the other player is the baddies trying to stop them.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Arboretum does not feel light at first. Once you get the hand of it, it can provide a nice feeling of building up a display of beautiful trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piñata it's about grabbing candy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kosmos two-player series are very good and usually play in an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone with depression might appreciate or even need the support system a cooperative game can provide. For that reason, I would suggest Onirim (second edition) or Sylvion. I would lean toward onirim as it has 7 expansions included in the base game that greatly vary the gameplay plus it's a theme that fits the situation- trying to escape a nightmare.

Flash Duel: Revised Second Edition is a good choice that hasn't been mentioned. It has several modes of play, but is best as a 1 vs 1 game that is easy to learn, simple to setup, and fast to play. Despite that, it has a decent amount of depth much like other games mentioned above such as battle line and lost cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeThorne
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
Someone with depression might appreciate or even need the support system a cooperative game can provide.

Second. We love coop games in this house- we're in it together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much everyone for all the suggestions. I'm checking them out now. I'd never thought of a co-op but that might work. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Watson
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and then we held hands is a good choice. My wife and I also enjoy 2-p TtR and New York 1901 even though they're designed for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others about co-ops. Not everyone loves them but we do, though it helps that neither of us tends toward alpha playing. I already recommended Pandemic: The Cure and Codenames (played co-op) as shorter co-op games. We also enjoy:
-Forbidden Desert
-Burgle Bros. (we play 2 floors to keep it shorter)
-Flash Point: Fire Rescue (not as much but it's still good)
-and regular Pandemic, probably our favorite

We find that these can last longer than 45 minutes though.

ETA - Not sure about it yet but we also plan on giving Mysterium 2P a try soon. It seems intriguing and beautiful and certainly an unusual theme. But I hope others here may comment on how it works 2P. Oops - probably longer than your desired time slot though.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no laws on ceres.... just cops.
badge
what can change the nature of a man?
mbmbmbmbmb
...and then, we held hands. +1

Nice cooperative abstract themed around a couple making their relationship work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.