Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, who liked the Onslaught version of the game? What did you think of it? Seems to have gotten good reviews, and Dreadmire appears to be an improved version of the game.

I've got to say, the stretch goals seem weak though. I think the upgraded folding lane boards, play mat and/or 6 player expansion should be a stretch goal, not optional buys. I mean, who cares about a card that will be available to everyone, but without the 'metal frame' artwork around it..

I'm in for about $115 now (w/shipping), which is like $160+ Canadian. Hoping it's worth it..

UPDATE: After some debate, I've realized, I'm not angry at the stretch goals but really the Canadian dollar for sucking, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Suicide Kings wrote:
I've got to say, the stretch goals seem weak though.

Can't say I agree w/ you but each to their own. Now I'm not particularly into the "special" cards (metal frame or full art) but I think the number/mix of cards that are getting added via stretch goals is great. WRT the optional buys they are optional... personally I wouldn't get the playmat since one is already included, the 5-6 player expansion is only good if you actually think you are going to play w/ that many people (I wouldn't myself as I think things tend to get a little slow w/ 4 players as it is), I would get the folding lane boards if I didn't already have them though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying that adding new cards isn't cool, but calling them 'exclusive' because they have a metal art frame on them is lame. Everyone will have access to the cards, they're not special.

As far as the mat goes, I'm not getting it but I think it should be a stretch goal, not an optional buy.. That's my opinion. Same goes for the lane boards. For the price of the game, it should be included, not a money grab. But that's just my thoughts.

In reply to the 5-6 player expansion; oh yeah, it sucks with more than 4 people? I won't buy it if that's the case. I probably wouldn't use it that often but considering it could be a possibility at some point and never being able to get it again kind of makes me think I maybe should just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, personally I don't like having exclusive stuff that others can't get, but that's a very YMMV statement. At the very least you're getting extra stuff for free, and the expansions go for $15 a piece (plus they haven't actually released the non-foil versions of old 'exclusives' yet) with that mat at $20; not to mention, I think the Corpse Puppeteer is actually exclusive to the campaign. Don't blame them too much for the optional buys, though. With the smaller number of backers/money, the profit margins are smaller and offering too much stuff for free would hurt--they've already said the lane boards (which I'm not a big fan of, TBH) cost much more to produce than they originally anticipated, which is why they're an optional buy and not included. Also, extra troops and heroes can change the game more than you think, since you only have access to a handful per game.
BTW, skip the playmat unless you're getting it for other games--there's no place to even use it in Xenoshyft--and if you're worried about needing more stuff for extra players later, you can always just buy Onslaught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
At the very least you're getting extra stuff for free

That's the thing, I don't really consider it free. Like I said, the game is selling for almost double the price it will at retail. Onslaught goes for 50 CAD. The KS for it cost 50 USD. Granted, I don't know what the exchange rate was back then, but currently, it's awful for Canadians.

Eyefink wrote:
With the smaller number of backers/money, the profit margins are smaller and offering too much stuff for free would hurt-

The production costs are a lot lower too though. No mini's = way easier and faster to get done.

Eyefink wrote:
Also, extra troops and heroes can change the game more than you think, since you only have access to a handful per game.

I'm all for the extra new cards, this adds to the game a lot for sure. I'm not complaining about any of that, but cards aren't expensive to make. I'm not angry, just saying, for the price, I think they should have added in the lane boards, or the mat, or the expansion to justify a $100 card game. But maybe that's just me since the Canadian dollar is so awful and it's costing me 50% more than it would for Americans. I guess that's ultimately where my anger stems, haha.

Eyefink wrote:
BTW, skip the playmat unless you're getting it for other games--there's no place to even use it in Xenoshyft--and if you're worried about needing more stuff for extra players later, you can always just buy Onslaught.

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't going to get the mat anyways or the lane boards though. Not worth the extra cash in my opinion. The extra player expansion I will get thought I guess, just in case I ever want to play 5, which my group sometimes is. Plus we apparently won't have access to it afterwards and it's cheaper to get that than it would be to buy Onslaught.

Thanks for the replies. Helped me realize, I'm not really angry at the stretch goals, but actually the Canadian dollar, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suicide Kings wrote:
So, who liked the Onslaught version of the game? What did you think of it? Seems to have gotten good reviews, and Dreadmire appears to be an improved version of the game.

I've got to say, the stretch goals seem weak though. I think the upgraded folding lane boards, play mat and/or 6 player expansion should be a stretch goal, not optional buys. I mean, who cares about a card that will be available to everyone, but without the 'metal frame' artwork around it..

I'm in for about $115 now (w/shipping), which is like $160+ Canadian. Hoping it's worth it..

UPDATE: After some debate, I've realized, I'm not angry at the stretch goals but really the Canadian dollar for sucking, lol.

So, I went all in during the first Kickstarter... I'm in the "it was an alright game but an exercise in chaos, so best as an app" camp. Try the app first. Part it a few times. I'm not sure if the app added more bosses, but it's entirely possible for a player to draw multiple bosses and just steamroll the base. If you're cool with the gameplay, add to that your usual deckbuilder setup time.

The art is great, and really, this is one property I'd like to see converted into a minis game... even if they're just little 10mm dudes. But as a physical card game, no, not worth it. If you DO pick it up, go for the boards and mat. The cardstock they use is the same flimsy stuff the Zombicide characters are printed on, but you can imagine being twice as big, they're easier to damage and impossible to sleeve. The boards and mats were both great quality though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Blair
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tell me where you can get the game for $50 Canadian... I was going to get the first game for my nephew and the cheapest I found it was $75. After looking at the kickstarter, the game with all the extras will be worth the cost even with the exchange rate. I love Canada but I hate our dollar as it never stays the same. I am thinking when it goes back up running to the States and just buy, buy, and then buy more.

I am wondering if the folding lane boards are worth getting. We get the resource play mat so are they made of the same material?

I thought the exclusive cards would not be sold separately. Am I mistaken? Looking different doesn't entice me to purchase a game....

Oh well. Even if people can purchase them after, the cost would be more if bought separately than with the kickstarter.

Game On

P.S I am glad I am not the only one getting a bad taste in my mouth when I talk about the exchange rate. Oh there is that taste again. Like licking an old leather shoe. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0CanuckEh wrote:
P.S I am glad I am not the only one getting a bad taste in my mouth when I talk about the exchange rate. Oh there is that taste again. Like licking an old leather shoe. cry

Hey, someone who feels my pain! lol.

You can get it for $50 at 401games.ca or boardgamebliss.com for $52.

http://store.401games.ca/catalog/5966349/xenoshyft-onslaught...

http://www.boardgamebliss.com/search?x=0&y=0&q=xenoshyft

I'm not getting the lane boards or the mat. I already feel like I'm spending too much on this game. With the 2 expansions and shipping, looking at probably $170. I'm wondering if maybe I should just save that money for the next game I see that looks awesome instead of this one which I'm not 100% sure about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4 enemy packs that are currently unlocked and aren't KS-exclusive will probably be released as a retail expansion. Going by 401 Games prices for Onslaught, that would run you ~$73 CAD including tax.

Getting only Dreadmire through the KS will probably cost around $100 CAD after shipping. So the question is, are the KS exclusives (play mat, heroes and special items) worth $27 to you? If yes, it's a good purchase. If not, then pass on the KS and grab it at your FLGS.

Of course, the above assumes that 401 sells Dreadmire for the same price it's currently selling Onslaught. They recently had to up their prices on X-Wing to compensate for the CAD-USD exchange rate, and it wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing other prices slowly start to tick up too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Blair
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to Boardgamebliss.com but if the game is a good price then they are sold out. If the game is there I then add shipping and the price is about the same as the stores. I have not been to 401games and will have to check it out. I wonder what the shipping is like at 401games. Amazon.ca seems to beat most stores and includes shipping. I don't like it because how are the stores going to survive. The only problem is the amount I saved from not going to the store bought me another game.

Back to XenoShyft. I don't think I will get any of the extra stuff. Just adds to the shipping bill. Last I looked $60 was about $85 Canadian and I am hoping the shipping will not put it over $100 too much. I like Co-op games and this looks good. I like the weather aspect and the rules are cleaned up and tightened. All the expansions I think will make the game worth while. I just better play the game enough times before the dollar is stronger and I then do the conversion and find out the game with all the expansions is cheaper in the store.yuk

I do hope more people buy as there are now two new expansions with a mystery hero...

The more cards with the game people may stop comparing the price to card ratio between this game and Legendary. They are not the same game as I have heard Legendary is co-op but you really don't do anything with the other people. XenoShyft you have to help each other or die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern is just about how fun the game is. Is it really that bad/long with 4 players? If I don't get it, someone else from my group will though so at least I'll get the play it either way.

401games is awesome. Great prices, free shipping at only $100 and I only get charged 5% tax instead of the standard 15% in Quebec. They restock on Fridays usually.

I'm defiantly getting the Immolation expansion and although people seem to think 4 players is already too much, I feel like I may get upset with myself if I don't get the 5-6 player expansion since it won't be available afterwards.. and for approximately $22, it's not that big a deal.

Ugh, I'm such a sucker I even want the lane boards now.. I have a disease..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
So, I went all in during the first Kickstarter... I'm in the "it was an alright game but an exercise in chaos, so best as an app" camp. Try the app first. Part it a few times. I'm not sure if the app added more bosses, but it's entirely possible for a player to draw multiple bosses and just steamroll the base. If you're cool with the gameplay, add to that your usual deckbuilder setup time.

The art is great, and really, this is one property I'd like to see converted into a minis game... even if they're just little 10mm dudes. But as a physical card game, no, not worth it. If you DO pick it up, go for the boards and mat. The cardstock they use is the same flimsy stuff the Zombicide characters are printed on, but you can imagine being twice as big, they're easier to damage and impossible to sleeve. The boards and mats were both great quality though.

I wouldn't want to play a game like this on an app. to be honest. If it was free would be a good way to test it out but I feel it's a silly waste. At least I can sell this if I decide it's not my style.

I wish this was a mini game, would be awesome I think.
What do you use the mat for? And are the boards that much better?

PS: I used a laminating machine on all my character cards for Blood Rage and Shadows Over Camelot and I'll definitely do it for all my games. Great way to protect them permanently. You can even go to a office supply store and they may do it for you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suicide Kings wrote:
I wouldn't want to play a game like this on an app. to be honest. If it was free would be a good way to test it out but I feel it's a silly waste. At least I can sell this if I decide it's not my style.

While it's true you'd likely recoup your cost and more by buying into the KS and selling later if you discover it's not for you, the XenoShyft app is fantastic and a really great way to play the game if you foresee playing solo. It obviously eliminates the setup and cleanup process of sorting through all the cards so you're up and running within seconds, and it does all calculations for you as well as highlights opportunities to use different abilities during different phases of the game so you don't forget.

I pledged for Dreadmire but am considering dropping out. I have a number of deckbuilders including ones that play similarly like Legendary Encounters: Alien and Legendary Encounters: Predator, so I'm thinking I might be well-covered for this genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renegade Pineapple
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah-woah, hold the phone! I backed the Dreadmire KS with the impression that the stretch extras would be exclusive to the KS crowd. Are we really just getting "fancy borders" for our trouble? I thought the art would be exclusive. I never backed the Onslaught KS, so I don't know how the previous campaign was handled. I am not familiar with the basegame components as I do not own it, either. I figured Dreadmire would be the better investment so I jumped in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Ang
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Renegade, backing the kickstarter is probably the best and easiest way to get all that Dreadmire has to offer. CMON very often will state that some of their exclusive cards may be released at a later date but they definitely do not make it easy.

For Onslaught the only other time the heroes have been available was in this kickstarter. All the full art cards are only kickstarter exclusive. The Dreadmire heroic troops are probably going to be just as hard to hunt down, here is the direct quote from CMON from the campaign:

These cards are unique Kickstarter Exclusive versions of the Hero Cards that may appear in some form later, but they will not be the deluxe metallic ones shown above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, if this campaign is any indication, "sometime later" might very well mean "as a stretch goal or add-on in a future campaign." As much as I hated the final price tag, I'm happy I'm getting stuff that will functionally be impossible to get later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.