Subject: Maximum Dice Requirement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the highest number of dice you can roll for one test in Eldritch Horror? We need to know so we know exactly how many dice to carry with the game. (Yeah, that's it. It's totally not because I don't want to go to sleep.)

I believe the answer is 22, not counting rerolls. It is naturally a combat encounter. For this result, it must take place during a Research encounter. It requires only 5 or 6 possessions: two artifacts, one Unique Ally, and two or three assets. It requires a team of two or three additional investigators present for emotional support.

Zoey Samaras is the warrior. She has Strength improved twice, and she aces the Will test, for a base of 7 dice. She wields the Lightning Gun (13), and passes the Lore test to spend Sanity on Dhol Chants (16). She uses Anna Tilton (17), the Lantern (18), and the .32 Colt Pocket (19). Finally, she has the support of Lola Hayes (20), Jim Culver (21), and depending on where the encounter is taking place, either Silas Marsh, Leo Anderson, or the Urban Guide (22).

I wonder if Agnes might be competitive in the number of dice possible to roll for a lore check, but that's an investigation for another night.

Can anybody else do better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Flamethrower49 wrote:
I wonder if Agnes might be competitive in the number of dice possible to roll for a lore check, but that's an investigation for another night.
Not even close, highest +lore-on-spellcast is 4, and it lacks a Dhol Chants analogue large dice adder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Aligato
Philippines
Quezon City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sum could increase if you fight a Monster with a Strength modifier that adds dice. But other than that, I think you got it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to consider the practicality of rolling 22 dice vs. rolling 10 dice once or twice and indeed whether you are likely to need to roll all 22 in order to get the required number of successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a thread from one year ago. Maybe you want to contribute
Highest possible number of dice in a single roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
You might want to consider the practicality of rolling 22 dice vs. rolling 10 dice once or twice and indeed whether you are likely to need to roll all 22 in order to get the required number of successes.

Of course it's not practical, just fun. Hell, if anybody has the Lightning gun, I'm coming to take the rest of this stuff away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agnes casting Arcane Insight blows that out of the water.

4 base Lore -2 for the test +2 Improvements +2 from Agnes' ability +1 from Lola +1 from Silas/Leo/Urban Guide +3 from Alien Device/Zanthu Tablets +28 from Tomes (14 Assets, 10 Artifacts, 4 Unique Assets) = 39 dice, and I don't have Under The Pyramids so I wasn't counting those Tomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A quick count including UtP gives me 37 tomes (18 assets, 11 artifacts, 8 unique assets) = 48 dice.

I hope the OP will keep to his intention and store the game with 48 dice, because the game really needs it!

A purist might also want to prove that at least one of the AOs gives a game long enough for Agnes to be able to assemble all this gear ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamethrower49 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Of course it's not practical, just fun. Hell, if anybody has the Lightning gun, I'm coming to take the rest of this stuff away.
I actually meant that I don't think that I can pick up 22 16mm dice and throw them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you could only add one modifier per stat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
msg tools
mbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
I thought you could only add one modifier per stat?

That is correct, but most of the dice are coming from effects that tell you to 'roll additional dice' which aren't modifiers to a stat, and so stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
sthill46 wrote:
A quick count including UtP gives me 37 tomes (18 assets, 11 artifacts, 8 unique assets) = 48 dice.

I hope the OP will keep to his intention and store the game with 48 dice, because the game really needs it!

A purist might also want to prove that at least one of the AOs gives a game long enough for Agnes to be able to assemble all this gear ...

Would have to carry 144 dice - 48 normal, 48 blessed, and 48 cursed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
mb
Just curious, how many dice do you guys use? I use 12 and I have yet to come up short, though I suppose it's possible in theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KPater wrote:
Just curious, how many dice do you guys use? I use 12 and I have yet to come up short, though I suppose it's possible in theory.
I gave a Clue to my answer in a previous post. But in case it needs to be stated: I have a set of 10 standard Arkham Horror: Dice Sets (I also have 5 Blessed and 5 Cursed dice - I have a set of 12 CuCu dice that I'm hoping will arrive sometime soon, those 12 will be all I need)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
KPater wrote:
I gave a Clue to my answer in a previous post. But in case it needs to be stated: I have a set of 10 standard Arkham Horror: Dice Sets (I also have 5 Blessed and 5 Cursed dice - I have a set of 12 CuCu dice that I'm hoping will arrive sometime soon, those 12 will be all I need)

Same, also waiting for the CuCu dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a set of 12 green dice in addition to the starting four, and it works fine. I think we have come close to the limit once or twice - or at least the max of dice convenient that side of the table.

I was considering buying some Cthulhu type dice, or a small stack of dice specifically for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.